Are OTG cables device specific?
asked by Walter A. Byrd on November 14, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
As long as your device uses micro USB it should be fine. The devices that work through the OTG cable will be device specific. Meaning some you will plug in and things like a keyboard will work without any additional software. Some devices require rooting and/or apps like stickmount or nexus media importer. From my experience Nexus devices work pretty well out of the box for things like keyboards and mice. For things like additional storage (USB, SD card) you will need the app.
Bradley Corwin answered on November 14, 2012
Comments (2) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
it works with my google nexus 7 but i could not get it to work with my htc inspire which is rooted and had stick mount imstalled
W1ll1am answered on November 14, 2012
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No as long as your device as the universal charging port USB 2.0 same as most cell phones it should work. As always consult your manufacturer for specific details.
Norbert Polack answered on November 14, 2012

A
I've been using Nexus Media importer on my Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7. Both of them are not rooted and the program works fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer
Jason Thomas answered on November 14, 2012

A
OTG cables do not have universal mico usb ends.. some fit better than others depending on your device. You may have to try a couple differnet ones to get best fit or buy one someone recoomends for you particular device.
Delmar C. Mccue answered on November 14, 2012

A
Works with any device with a micro USB port
InGuyWeTrust answered on November 14, 2012

A
No, as far as I know they are not. They should work with any device that supports microUSB.
Jeremy Dowdle answered on November 15, 2012

A
No; there is one USB-OTG standard, all cables should adhere to that standard, so any OTG cable should work with any device that supports the OTG standard. Not all devices with physically compatible connectors support the OTG protocol, and some that support the protocol don't support all types of peripheral devices - for example, a device might support OTG for storage but not keyboards, or vice-versa. The cables are not device specific, but the usefulness of an OTG cable depends on device support.
Shad Sterling answered on July 21, 2014
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product