Customer Discussions > Wii forum

Are Wii games region specific???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2009 4:41:01 PM PST
AH80 says:
My mother-in-law just sent a couple of games for my son's birthday which were purchased in the UK. Every time we try inserting them in the Wii console (from US) the console gives a message that it is 'unable to read the disc'. Does anyone know if Wii games are region specific, rather like DVDs? If so, anyone with a solution!?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 12:31:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2009 12:40:43 PM PST
Fryfat says:
Yes, unfortunately Wii is region locked. But we can fix that :)

This program will make your Wii region free:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS

Let me know if you need any help, I can get very basic if you need me to.

If you decide you need help, I need your Wii's firmware version (3.2U? 3.4U?) and the name of the games. You can find your Wii firmware version by going to wii settings/console settings/ update console and see it in the top right corner. Do not update! Just tell what versiom it is, the lower the better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 3:09:52 PM PST
nuriko says:
Do note that this type of modifications will void your Wii's warranty. But if you have your Wii over a year, I guess it doesn't matter...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 4:22:17 PM PST
AH80 says:
Thanks for your help so far.
We have version 3.1U.
The games are Sonic Riders Zero Gravity and Monster 4X4 world circuit.
We might need a few pointers on how to make the upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2009 6:07:43 PM PST
DannyC says:
I would not mess the Wii. It will void your warranty and Nintendo could lock up your Wii when you do a firmware upgrade. The two games you have sell for about $10 each used. I say it's not worth the risk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 6:02:16 AM PST
Why would you buy them in the UK for a US console? Those games are easily available and dirt cheap in the US with the Euro specific wii games often being complete trash or going to be released later in the US anyway.

Also since they are PAL format you need a PAL compatible tv to watch them.

Also game discs are now having a stealth update system put on them meaning you will brick the wii. It's only a matter of time.

Just tell your mom in law to do some research and she would have known those games were for sale in the US and at cheaper prices in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 2:34:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2009 6:19:44 PM PST
Fryfat says:
Neither of those games contain an update beyond 3.4, so there's no risk of "bricking" it. Besides, you can block updates, and you can bring bricked Wii's back to life now.

So here's what to do.
1) Update your Wii's firmware to 3.4. You need to connect your Wii to the internet to do this. (if you were at 3.2 I'd tell you to stay there, but 3.1 needs updating)

2) Install the Homebrew Channel using the "Twilight Hack Method"
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel
(you need an SD card ($10) and a copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

3) Install the Homebrew Browser, a nice little program that will install/uninstall free applications and games people have coded in their freetime for Wii.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser

4) From the Homebrew Browser, install GeckOS. You just click "install" and it's done.

Now you're set! Just go to the homebrew channel, click GeckOS, put in your european/japanese game, reset the Wii and enjoy.

Lots of great european imports coming out this year not slated for USA, like Disaster Day of Crisis, Fatal Frame 4, and Pikmin 2. Region-free is a must!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 8:39:36 PM PST
Pikmin 2 is coming to the US since Pikmin 1 has already been announced.

Wrong futher updates are stealth updates and they cannot be blocked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2009 11:45:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2009 11:46:15 PM PST
Fryfat says:
Neither Sonic Riders Zero Gravity or Monster 4X4 are going to brick a 3.2 or higher Wii, no matter the region.

I've been importing Wii games for 2 years, it's not that scary.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 1:37:22 AM PST
N. Ward says:
I bought 2 wii games when I was in Turkey. I want to be able to use them on my wii here at home in new york. I did not know when I purchased the games in Turkey that they would not work on my wii here. Is there something I can do to use them here? They are new and never been used.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:19:42 PM PST
Why did you buy them in Turkey? Are they even legit games and not bootlegs?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 4:07:10 AM PST
Annie says:
Because he didn't know they wouldn't work in the US. Use your eyes, whateveridon'tcare. Sometimes people buy stuff abroad, don't be so hostile. Have you ever been anywhere?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wii
Wii by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (2,542)