Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Board bookChange

on June 12, 2012
Got this book for my 15-month-old who loves animals and also loves the word "no". after asking him if he's that animal he answers "no" When i read "No!" right after him he laughs and laughs. He feels like he's reading the book to me and he just loves it
on July 28, 2012
This book literally asks the reader (or the one who is being read to) if they are a cow, dog, duck, etc. While it can be repetitive, it is the first book that has encouraged a verbal response from my 15 month old son. When you ask the question, it encourages him to say 'No'. He will have me read this book over and over again, enjoying the opportunity to answer the questions. It seems to make him feel accomplished in knowing and being able to say the answer. For this, I highly recommend the book for other parents looking to get a similar response.
on January 15, 2013
Absolutely adorable book which will be fun to grow with my daughter! I had picked it up in the store previously and put it back down because the first page was a bit obnoxious-feeling to me, but looking at the whole book it is really sweet. The book goes through asking a bunch of "Are you a ___?" questions, with a no on each page I'm sure my daughter will enjoy "reading" as she gets older. At the end it concludes with, "Are you a penguin? You're not? But wait! You must be YOU! Now isn't that great?" Sweet, positive message that will be fun for years and is short enough to hold my 7 month old's attention now. As a bonus, all of the simple questions/picture of just a (cartoon) animal head makes this a great book for learning animals, too!
Sandra Boynton, Are You a Cow? (Simon and Schuster, 2012)

I'm not sure I can, or need to, give you any more of a recommendation than this. The bean, an inveterate Boynton fanatic, has never asked me to read a Boynton book more than once in a row until tonight. Are You a Cow? Got read three full times before I was allowed to put it down. If that doesn't qualify as the Bean Stamp of Approval, I don't know what does. From my perspective, it's a rather slight thing, but fun to read and just as adept at rhythm and rhyme as all of Boynton's stuff (this is something I still feel weird about pointing out, but the more kids' books I've read over the last few years, the more of them I've noticed are, shall we say, less than adept at one, the other, or both). A big hit at Goat Central. ****
on September 15, 2012
I thought my little girl would be bored with this one -- it's mainly questions, asking if the child is an animal or not. I like that this book helps her identify common animals, but there's no real "story" to it. The rhyming is rudimentary (but what would I expect from a baby book, right?). I think she giggles because it's the interaction I do with her when I read it to her...I ask her the question, she shakes her head "no" to each one until the end, when it's revealed that "you must be you! Now isn't that great?" It's a bit anticlimactic -- my 17-month old bookworm seems a little confused at the end, after all the questions -- I would've preferred a mirror or something at the end to tie it all together. But she's happy, so it's good.
on September 13, 2012
I've been reading this book to my three month old baby and she loves it. She really seems to respond to the simple illustrations of animals. With each animal page I provide the animal sound and she wiggles her feet happily. I'm sure the humor in the book escapes her right now but even at her very young age she seems to be fully enjoying the book. I anticipate that we'll continue to enjoy this book for sometime, especially when she can answer "no" to the questions!
on July 2, 2015
We have started a collection of these books. They are my 10 month old son's absolute favorites. He loves this one especially. Short, silly, and fun to read. I am an educator and understand the importance of reading early. I highly recommend this author.
on August 13, 2015
I love Boynton. I think the kids do, too. Maybe not as good as some others like "But Not the Hippopotamus" or "Red Hat, Green Hat," but better than "The Bedtime Book." The chicken cracks me up.
on April 7, 2014
A huge number of Sandra Boynton books are favorites in our house. This in one of them. The first time my child participated and giggled with a "noooooo", I was thrilled. This is a great book.
on July 23, 2013
Poised with his beak opened wide, a bossy chicken demands your attention as soon as you open the book.

"Hey! I'm a chicken. Yes, it's true. Tell me! Tell me! What are you?"

Boynton cleverly introduces a different animal on each page. This question and answer format will help your little ones with animal recognition and encourages feedback. The questions appear in regular sized type and the answers are in a tiny font, which guarantees a high low rhythmic sound.

"Are you a cow? No. Are you a dog? No."

The chicken's playful inquiry continues and little readers will learn to recognize a cow, dog, frog, duck and many more animals. Just when you've got the pattern going, Boynton provides a fun twist by introducing two larger than life hippos. The text format changes and your little one can now investigate size.

"You are not a hippo. You are small. They are big."

The illustrations are simple and inviting in Boynton's trademark style. The puzzled look from the animal's zany eyes provides suspense persuading you to turn the page to see what is next. Boynton's ending wraps up nicely with a positive message reinforcing that it's great to be ourselves.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse