Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Nintendo DSi - Matte Black forum

Are all DS games compatible with the DSi?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2009 7:01:53 AM PST
B. Selvage says:
I'm new to the Nintendo DS, so I was wondering if the Nintendo DSi can be used with all DS games.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 10:54:52 AM PST
Mo G. says:
Yes it can. Currently there are no real "DSi only" games so the games are interchangeable between systems. The difference between the two systems is that the DSi can download dsiware from the internet so that you can store games on the console.

Another difference is that the Ds lite has a slot for Game Boy Advance games, which, if you're new to the system probably won't concern you since you probably don't have a collection of those older games.

But yes, to answer your question in a nutshell, all "ds" cartridges work in the DSi system.

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 10:24:24 PM PST
A. says:
You cannot use the Guitar Hero or Band Hero games. I have a DSi as well, and since there is no GBA slot there is no place to fit the attachment. They may yet develop one for the DSi, but for now that's all you can't play and I'd say it's worth getting even though you miss out on those games.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 11:27:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2009 11:27:50 PM PST
No. Like stated before, Guitar Hero and Band Hero need the Game Boy Advance slot which has been removed on the DSi.

Also, Tony Hawk's Motion has a "Motion Pack" which goes into the GBA slot also, so that's not compatible either.

I think The band & Guitar Hero series and Tony Hawk Motion are the only games that won't work on a DSi

Also, The DS will play games from other countries while the DSi is region locked.

Some games, like iCarly DS are have DSi Only bonus features

Posted on Jan 13, 2010 3:40:41 PM PST
No, all DS games absolutely do NOT work with the DSi. They must be DSi compatible. I only know this because I have several games I've purchased that DO NOT work on our DSi, but DO work on our DS lite. That is definitely NOT what consumers are led to believe. I just got off the phone with Nintendo support and was told that you need to ask the store clerk if the game is compatible or they have the games listed on their (Nintendo) site. I'm so frustrated!!

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 6:23:49 AM PDT
Can the DS play 3DS Games as the 2DS can? Wondering if I should take a hand me down DS or purchase the 2DS...

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 2:04:54 PM PST
jeep991999 says:
Hi! Is there a skylander game that goes with DSI?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo DSi - Matte Black
Nintendo DSi - Matte Black by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,387)