Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2006 9:02:26 AM PST
Is this set just a box set with DVDs that are already available or will it include a new 2006 remaster and extra features? Excluding of course the 6th disc, are these movies the ones already on shelves and just being sold in a flashy new cardboard box?

Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2006 9:32:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2006 6:16:12 AM PST
The transfers are new ones, and in the case of You Can't Take it with You, the difference will be night and day since the current individual release is quite awful. The extras of the previous releases are ported over, however, there are new ones. The main adition is the 100+ minutes 1997 TV doc on the life and work of Capra. The commentaries on American Madness and You Can't Take it with You are new. Just like the old commentaries for the other films, they feature Frank Capra, Jr. whose comments are little else than fluff. only for the new ones he's joined by a film professor, however a reviewer says the comments are still fluff. Then, There's also the 100 page scrapbook, however judging from previous scrapbooks on other releases I don't think it will be something to rave about. For me, this set is a no brainer since I never bought these titles individually and the only Capra from Columbia that I did buy, Lost Horizon, wasn't included in the set. Also, judging from the price ($41.35 - that's $8.27 per title)it's definately a must-have considering the individual editions cost around $20 each, and the image on some of them leaves something to be desired.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 7:28:44 AM PDT
Kevin Hopp says:
I have the Columbia Classic release of You Can't Take It With You and perhaps it's because I compared it to my old VHS copy but it looked pretty crisp to me. Not a no brainer if you have EVERY individual release except of course American Madness. That, by the way kind of pisses me off. Marketing surely threw that in so those of us who collect Capra movies would have to go and buy all these movies over again. Now I know YCTIWY is a new transfer and has a commentary I will probably break down...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Premiere Frank Capra Collection (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington / It Happened One Night / You Can't Take It with You / Mr. Deeds Goes to Town / American Madness / Frank Capra's American Dream)
The Premiere Frank Capra Collection (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington / It Happened One Night / You Can't Take It with You / Mr. Deeds Goes to Town / American Madness / Frank Capra's American Dream) by Jean Arthur (DVD - 2006)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (71)