5.0 out of 5 stars Argentina Cooks, HURRA!!!
I am an Argentinian leaving in the United States, after reading this book I shall for ever be in debt to Ms Brooks.
The recipes are authentic, well researched and elegantly presented.
The traveling information is even better.
Please , Ms. Brooks do us honor, again.
Published on November 15, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Recipes - Lacking Photos
Published on February 24, 2009 by Jennifer Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars Argentina Cooks, HURRA!!!, November 15, 2001
A Kid's Review
The recipes are authentic, well researched and elegantly presented.
The traveling information is even better.
Please , Ms. Brooks do us honor, again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Long-Awaited Treasure, June 20, 2001
By A Customer
As an exchange student, then as a college student, I spent a total of a little more than a year of my life living in the Cordoba region. Like Ms. Brooks, I found "La Cocinera Criolla," the classic Argentine cookbook, to be tremendously vague and unhelpful in replicating the dishes I had come to enjoy so much.
I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of "Argentina Cooks" for months, hoping to finally receive guidance in making those treasured meals.
I am pleased that the book does contain a good number of the dishes that I was anticipating, like milanesa, gnocchi, and alfajores. And, I almost broke into tears when I saw that it included a recipe for my beloved "pastelitos", a treat that I have not tasted in at least eight years.
However, I was a bit surprised to see that the section on Cordoba contained a large number of recipes for dishes that I had never tasted or heard of. While many of the dishes sound enjoyable, I can't help but point to the notable lack of recipes with an Italian influence. (About 40% of the Argentine population is Italian). Where are the recipes for ravioli, cappeletti, and cannelones? Not to mention the very tasty roasts (chicken and beef) that the Argentines prepare, arroz con leche (a childhood favorite), and pasta frola (cake with quince paste). These are all dishes that I found repeated over and over again in the homes that I visited, and would have expected to be included.
Though I am a bit disappointed by the lack of certain recipes, this is a wonderful and varied cookbook that reflects the tremendous diversity of the country, and is sure to appeal to just as diverse an audience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a cookbook devoted to Argentina!, June 14, 2001
Julieta (Riverside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have searched for years for a book on Argentine cuisine. As a native of Argentina, all I have to help me cook this delicious cuisine is (1) an old Dona Petrona cookbook and (2)my grandmother's recipes-which my mother carefully wrote out on index cards the weeks before her wedding to my father 32 years ago. Don't get me wrong...I love those recipes, but its hard to cook from a recipe that asks for "some Argentine cut beef" and a "good amount of flour". With this book, I was able to get precise recipes with readily available ingredients. I had a birthday party at my house for my father in June and, as a surprise, I made several of the recipes in the book. Needless to say, he and my mom were thrilled and we all agreed the results were delicious! I would love to find another book just like this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Argentina Cooks, October 27, 2001
By A Customer
This is a great collection of recipes from Argentine's
various regions. I had tried to cook the milanesa,
one of my favorite dish when I resided in Buenos Aires
back in the early 80's. It turned out delicious. This
book reminds me of how great Argentine cuisine could be.
However, this book lacks colorful pictures. I think that
with some colorful examples, this book can attract more
attention in the bookstores.
I have collected many good cooking books by Stellino,
Pepin, etc. I am glad that I purchased this book.
I can't wait to see Ms. Brook's next cooking book. This book
is definitely worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars ARGENTINA COOKS INDEED!, December 5, 2001
What a surprise and a delight this book is! The recipes have so far proved fool-proof and have pleased even the most jaded and widely-traveled of our friends. Far more than a cookbook, Argentina Cooks is a nice piece of travel writing. Ms. Brooks brings this country, which gets little press in the US, alive. As a person with an academic background in geography, I truly valued and enjoyed her descriptions of Argentina's regions and the ways that geography and culture have influenced each region's cuisine. She adds just enough info. to enhance the choice of recipes. The black & white illustrations are delightful. Color photos would have been nice, but her writing is so vivid and detailed that their lack takes nothing away. An unusual, useful book on many levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Argentine Adventures, January 14, 2002
liz hudson (san francisco) - See all my reviews
I'm a timid cook and hate to travel--but I bought this book. Go figure. I've tried several recipes and they've turned out great. Even though there are many recipes for meat dishes, if one doesn't eat meat, there is still a lot to choose from...side dishes, fruits, desserts. Good chicken and Fish dishes. Lots of very interesting information about the distinct regions of this land and about how their regional cuisine is influenced by indigenous and European traditions. Fascinating!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Recipes - Lacking Photos, February 24, 2009
This review is from: Argentina Cooks!: Treasured Recipes from the Nine Regions of Argentina (Hippocrene Cookbook Library) (Hardcover)
This book is a really good voyage into the art of cooking in Argentina. The text talking about traditions and the culture in general is very informative and interesting. I bought this product because I read that the book had pictures - I prefer cookbooks that show photos of the recipes - and this book has zero photos of the recipes. I was a little disappointed. Just wanted to make sure that no one else bought the book without knowing this fact. I have tired a few recipes and they are very good, it's just the lack of pictures that bothered me. Happy cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, sensual recipes!, July 12, 2001
By A Customer
Argentina Cooks! is a fabulous addition for the gourmet's bookshelf. The book is divided up into recipes from the varied regions of Argentina. The regions are described so evocatively and personally that this book provides tremendous enjoyment for the armchair traveler as well as the cook. The recipes have proven delicious, truly sensual. I have tried the lobster empanadas and swooned. The meat and seafood dishes are quite varied, new and delicious. Recipe instructions are precise and the processes made clear and simple. A culinary standout! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to a little-covered country, June 7, 2001
From Roast Turkey with Persimmon, Sausage and Jalapeno Stuffing to Mango Pudding and Chicken in Sherry Wine, Argentina Cooks! is packed with fresh new explorations of the entire country's unique cuisine. Chapters are organized by region of Argentina, but this also offers a handy index for those who want to choose dishes by ingredient. An excellent guide to a little-covered country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Argentine Food, December 15, 2002
By A Customer
We returned from our first trip to Argentina about a year ago. Argentina is great. The food was truly one of the best finds. The food is great - fresh and not spicy. Not what most people from the US would expect. This book came to our attention soon after our return and we bought right away. It is quite a good book. We recognized some of our favorite dishes. For us it was a great find!

Used & New from: $15.60