4.0 out of 5 stars Funnest thing I've "read" in a long time
I just finished listening to the audio adaptation of this book, and it was absolutely hilarious. Beck seems to be one of those people that you either love or hate and this book won't make much of a difference, but I for one, do like his humor.
Published on September 17, 2011 by Page W. Brousseau

2.0 out of 5 stars Content: Fantastic. Formatting for Kindle: Horrible.
The way in which the print version of this book was formatted for the Kindle results in a thoroughly confusing read.

I believe that the information and arguments Glenn Beck makes in this book are well researched and presented, and leave Progressives with little or no room for their specious beliefs. It is an important read for any person who is unsure to the...
Published on September 1, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Funnest thing I've "read" in a long time, September 17, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative without being your typical Republican talking points, December 9, 2011
MrQuincy (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
I first heard of Glenn Beck back in 2004, somehow stumbling across him on talk radio. I found his show to be quite hilarious(that moron calling segment was classic).

I didn't get to listen to him often, but I remember being entertained.

So the other day I was shopping for Christmas presents and came across this audio book. What's another gift going to hurt? A gift to me, from me that is.

Pros:

+ I found it to be very informative. The historical events presented were factual in nature. You can feel confident that your fact checking will line up.
+ I found his opinions to be informative as well. The evidence he uses (to base his opinions on) is solid.
+ It's full of Glenn's humor. I definitely laughed a bit.
+ This book has a great "independent" feel to it. It doesn't sound like partisan rubbish.

Cons:

- I found a few portions of the book to be boring.
- There's a lot of information crammed into one book. Your brain might hurt a little.
- You probably won't enjoy it if you're a fan of big government.

The few portions I found to be boring were limited. In fact, I "read" this book in a record amount of time. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I think you will too.

**Also, if you're one of those people who's only heard negative things about Glenn Beck then you should definitely get this book. Judge for yourself and don't let others judge for you.**

932 of 1,362 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars TIME magazine's "Mad Man" speaks out, September 28, 2009
During the Middle Ages, it was somewhat common for religious arguments to be presented in written form. This format usually involved two characters, each with a different point of view. There would be questions or statements by one character which were refuted by the other character, who was a stand-in for the author's belief. With this book, Glenn Beck has revived an old format for a new age.

The book is divided into ten chapters, each one covering a single topic, and there are questions which are responded to by Beck's character. In addition, there are also little side comments, sometimes called "A.D.D. Moments" and sometimes direct quotes by people Beck doesn't agree with, said quotes putting those people in the worst possilbe light.

Love him or hate him (there appears to be no middle ground) Beck wirtes cogently (if often humorously) and well. He states his point of view on one subject and then moves on to another. Beck claims that he is a Libertarian rather than either a Democrat or a Rebublican, but I'm sure liberal readers (if there are any who actually finish this book) will be coinvinced that Beck is just another member of the "vast right-wing conspiracy" to quote Hillary Clinton at the beginning of the Monica fiasco. I don't know what he is, because he takes almost as many shots at the GOP as he does at the Dems, so I'll take him at his word about his party leanings.

Beck is conservative in the sense that he opposes "big government" and what he calls the "Nanny State", which is one that hovers over just about every aspect of American life. He fears that we are going into that situation, and there are enough signs around (for those who want to recognise them) that he might (just might) be correct. I'm a big believer in the policy of "wait and see" so I don't make any judgments on his theories and opinions.

The book will infuriate some (liberals) and comfort others (conservatives and libertarians) but it certainly is not a boring read. For those who publish reviews on Amazon or elsewhere, please at least read the entire book before opining. It's the only fair way to do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is for True Liberals, October 14, 2009
I like this book only because it presents an alternate perspective that is extremely uncommon in media today. I consider myself a classical liberal that will listen to all perspectives and parse out the propaganda from the truth if possible. I LOVE THE LUXURY OF FREE SPEECH. Trashing others because they have a different opinion without proper debate exposes a narrow mind. Arguing with personal insults and slogans is NOT proper debate. I see this in previous reviews of this book. I'm especially irked by this because I am Chinese American & I've heard from my older relatives that this was what the Maoists did in the Cultural Revolution. This is a really dangerous way to go & I wish people would refrain from such barbaric behavior.

This book does coverage on political issues and does cite references that are difficult to find in the local newspapers or national magazines. In fact I've noticed that many of the news articles in my local newspaper (e.g. from AP, etc.) will omit key facts in news coverage. In my own independent spot checks on facts, this book is much more correct than it is incorrect! It's not because Glenn Beck is such a great journalist. Its because the news media is doing such a lousy job in journalism. Even amateurs are better than 'professional' journalists with an agenda to shape the political will of their readers. There is a difference between objective journalism & suave propaganda. Readers have to work to discern the difference.

It's unfortunate that books like Arguing With Idiots is needed just to get an alternate view for a balanced perspective. It takes a lot of discipline to be well informed today. Bottom line: Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beck has facts, if they confuse, they are still facts..., December 3, 2012
Jakey D (Central New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved it. It is full of great information, backed by facts, historical examples and suggestions on what and how to discuss variety of issues. Valuable to my collection of the books that I enjoy and highly recommend. The format is great, the book is a page turner and Beck presents information, as usual, very well. Highly recommend this one and another book that will be perfect for the holidays.
AfterTastes and Tales from Russia

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared, March 8, 2014
I love Glenn's radio show so I decided to buy the audio book. It's filled with stats and statistics that will surprise you on almost every controversial topic such as : guns, minimum wage, border control, illegal immigration, unions, and much more. Don't listen to what the media or your uniformed friends say about the man, give this book a read or listen and find out what he's about on your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguing with Idiots!, March 25, 2014
Mr. Beck really nails the subject straight on, if you were looking for idiots as a political class! This book was ordered because I wanted to see the current arguments used by leftists on a number of arguments! Very good at teaching an old man a few new tricks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much needed theses days!, May 1, 2012
David B. Smith "printdave" (Kailua, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fan of Glenn Beck and I love this early primer! It's full of pertinent information so that one can actually form arguments that work when faced with slathering unthoughtful people who only chant mantra's often in groups rather than as fair individuals!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was surprised at how great this book was, December 16, 2010
My wife bought me this book as a gift. At first, I was a little annoyed at the thought of another book I didn't really ask for that would go on my shelf and gather dust. However, I had been recently "debating" some people online and from the way things were going, this book could help. So I cracked it open.

From the start, I really enjoyed the information and the approach. There are little facts thrown in on every page too that are entertaining even if they distracted me from my reading.

I've always liked Glenn Beck although I don't always agree with him. He seems to be an intelligent and thoughtful person. This book reinforced that belief. While it did get a little...insulting at times towards some people, I think it was never tasteless, and I've seen and heard those same people say far worse about Glenn Beck before. There were also very healthy doses of comedy in the book which kept me laughing.

The citations were great. I loved being able to go directly to websites related to the information to see where Mr. Beck got his information. Many times, he got the information directly from the primary source, such as the World Health Organization.

I highly recommend this book. Again, I don't TOTALLY agree with everything in it, but it does a great job of presenting another perspective, based on the Founding Fathers and the Constitution, while keeping one entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars I very highly recommend this read along with other books he has published., January 30, 2014
I very highly recommend this read along with other books he has published. it is very informative a great deal of information.
and I found so very much very true to its writing.

Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government
Arguing with Idiots: How to Stop Small Minds and Big Government by Glenn Beck (Paperback - September 14, 2010)
$19.99 $15.04