5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!
Published on April 21, 2006 by Mark Hansen

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stack up
This was obviously written by a very precocious 12 year old, but a 12 year old just the same. Amazing for her age, but the lack of a plot and the immaturity of the writing is obvious. I would recommend buying books by Angie Sage, Jonathan Stroud, Brandon Mull, Jennifer Allison, Elizabeth Haydon, Diana Wynne Jones and so many others writing in this genre instead.
Published on January 13, 2007 by BookEater

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stack up, January 13, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, April 21, 2006
What an incredible story Wizards of Skyhall is! It's filled with lush detail and such an interesting plot and complex characters that the final chapter leaves any reader hungry for the next book. The author started writing this book at the age of 12, and did an incredible job. The story is about a young teen named Arianna, who lives in an orphanage and is always getting into trouble. One day, while out in the city, she sees a strange man in a poited hat and thinks to herself "Does the fool think he's a wizard or something?" and it turns out it is a wizard she sees, only no human is supposed to be able to see wizards so she is taken to Skyhall, where the wizards live, and put on trial for being a wizard seer. It's funny, and mysterious. There's tons of action too especially when Arianna begins her "training". This is an incredible book. I find myself looking forward to the next installment more than any other book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight and Very, Very Funny, April 19, 2006
M. Webb (Columbia, SC USA) - See all my reviews
'Arianna Kelt and the Wizards of Skyhall' is a wonderful surprise - a book with the high action punch of Artemis Fowl and the zesty humor of Terry Pratchett. It has all the amazing attention to detail that made Harry Potter famous, complete with enchanting humor. I was rolling on the floor laughing every time the gnomes, and Digorence in particular, made an appearance.

As a first novel, it is not without its rough spots, but it is a delight to read. I see great things ahead for this young, 12-year-old author. This is without a doubt my favorite novel in years. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'm breathlessly waiting for the sequel - and so will you when you read it.

It should be noted this is a premium Coffee Table Size book that begins with an illustrated "Meet the Characters" section and ends with an "Illustrated Guide" to the world and its denizens. The front and back cover art is gorgeous as well. Kudos to JR King who created the original art in addition to writing the book! Quite an accomplishment for a 12-year old.

1.0 out of 5 stars A VERY SHORT BOOK, November 26, 2006
A Kid's Review
This is a rip off forf the price of $15.00. It is only 144 pages long with very large type and margins. So really it is maybe 70 pages if it were a real book.

Other things I don't like:

VERY BAD cover art - my classmates picked on me about it when they saw me reading it at school

not much of a plot - just a lot of pointless battles

the characters are not too original - you could tell this was written by a 12 year old

for a good book about a child wizard (besides Harry Potter) is the Wizard of Earthsea by Le Guin.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5/5 Stars, May 21, 2006
A Kid's Review
This was one of the best I have ever read, and trust me, I have read A LOT of books! This book is the story of Arianna, a troubled girl whose whole life changes when she sees a wizard, before that she was a thief and not a very good one because she kept getting caught. The book also tells the story of wizards and those who defend earch from evil warlocks and terrible creatures. It is funny in many parts with lots of action and adventure. I was amazed that an author as young as JR King can right such and amazing and magical story. I can't wait until the next one comes out, because if it doesn't, I will drive my friends insane, raving on about how the book was so good. I would rate this book with 5 stars, because the title gives you a feeling like you can't imagine, and the text draws you in you can't put the book down until you are finished. I can't even begin to describe the ending, all I can say is that you have a great feeling of satisfaction at the end where it ends and you can't wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arianna Kelt and the Wizards of Skyhall review, May 14, 2006
Arianna Kelt written by J R King is the first book of the Wizards of Skyhall trilogy. Arianna Kelt is the main character in the story, a 12 year old girl whose life changed when she saw a wizard. When the law gnomes catch up with her they take her to Skyhall. Arianna soon finds herself in a different world of magic and wizards she never knew existed. This story is full of suspense, humor, action and adventure. Arianna Kelt and the Wizards of Skyhall was written for people who enjoy fantasy and adventure. I think J R King's writing style was very good, because I understood everything in the book. The story was very good too, after I read one chapter I wanted to read the next one. In my opinion it was a very astonishing book, so if you are into fantasy I suggest that you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the book, July 3, 2006
Young J R King has outdone himself; for such a young man to write like an established author is awe inspiring. His characters show a lot of spirit, such as young Arianna and Digorence. I loved this book from the start to end. I love reading books and I just happen to come across this one. I loved it from the moment I read the first page of this. It is perfect for teen and adult Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings fans. It should be a strong competitor against Harry Potter for space on the top of the lists and on peoples bookshelves. Good Luck J R! I can't wait for your next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read young and old alike, July 27, 2006
As a life-long reader, I've found there are very few books that make me say, "Wow!" when I get to the last line of the last page, but this is one book that certainly did just that. Arianna Kelt and the Wizards of Skyhall is an amazing, intelligently written debut novel by a young author with a promising future. Although the novel isn't without its weak points, its strength is the author's vivid imagination and the richly imagined wizarding worlds that the author creates. Indeed, from entire worlds of wizards and warlocks to alternate dimensions with demons and gremlins, there is an entire wizarding universe here for the reader to discover.

I'm amazed a 14-year old can write much a level of materity and professionalism well beyond his years. Having recently read "Artemis Fowl" and a few other books written by adults for teens, I can't help but think how much better this book written by a teen for teens truly is. This is without question a first rate book. This a book young and old alike can lose themselves in for a time. It has the wide appeal of "Harry Potter" with all the fun, action, and excitement of "Eragon".

So what's the book about? It is the story of Arianna Kelt. She's an orphan and petty thief who lives mostly on the streets, except when they put her in one of the strict orphanages. After a badly bumbled bank heist, Arianna sees a shadowy figure in a robe and white hat, and wonders to herself if this person thinks they are a wizard or something. It turns out this person is a wizard, but since the wizard has cast a spell to hide himself from human eyes, Arianna shouldn't be able to him. This ability to see the wizard is puzzling and most unusual, so Arianna is taken away to the wizarding world of Xjoz, one of many worlds in the story populated by magic using creatures and beings. Almost immediately upon arrival, Arianna finds herself on trial in the "People Court" where the fate of her life and her future is at stake. The only problem is that Arianna doesn't believe what's happening to her is real, and the only one that can save her from herself is Mortimer the wizard. From there, the story takes off and if you want to know more, you'll have to read the book.

This 14-year old author has an amazing raw talent. The main characters and more than a few of the minor characters are well drawn. Although there could be more character development, character developement was quite adaquate given this is to be a trilogy. Overall, I enjoyed this more than "Eragon", "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "Artemis Fowl" put together. I am looking forward to the next installment with great anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WAS GREAT, May 5, 2006
A Kid's Review
My dad got it for me it's so cool it was written by a 12 year old! I'll tell you this: I wanted the sequel to be out when I was only half-way through the book!!!! It is a great story J R King is definately going to be one of the greats. The book rivals all fantasy I have ever read, and that is really saying something. I haven't enjoyed a book this much since Order of the Pheonix. It has just the right mix of magic, humor and battless. Arianna Kelt is a wonderful book with a plot so masterfully written it creates a world of magic and dragons, gnomes and wizards.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST, June 2, 2006
This is really one of the best books I have EVER read. I got it recently and I haven't put it down since. I love the new worlds, all the different surroundings, the interesting names, and the idea of wizards and warlocks waging a secret war against each other with humans never knowing. I found myself wondering what would happen next to the characters when I had to put the book down for any length of time; something lacking in many Fantasy novels. Thus I finished the book in only two days. I can't wait for the next book in this series. King is fast on his way to becoming one of the best Fantasy writers. Those who love fast paced Fantasy novels will definitely not be dissapointed!

Arianna Kelt and the Wizards of Skyhall (Deluxe Edition, Wizards of Skyhall Book 1)
$8.99