Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Arise
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

• Arise

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 17, 2006
SEPULTURA - Arise

This album, along with `Far Beyond Driven', `South of Heaven, and `Master of Puppets' are what caused my transformation into the metal-head I am today. I am forever indebted to this CD.

This is a Thrash Masterpiece.... Max's Voice, while still growing at this point, was still one of the most vicious metal singers of the day. His guitar work, as well as the work of Andreas was amazing... precisely fast with aggressive riffs and amazing (and even sometimes innovative) solos... Paulo Jr. plays with such a sense of urgency and provides an excellent backing to the guitars. And last, but certainly not least is Max's Brother Igor. Ideally from a musical perspective Max should have been playing in the shadow of his brother, not the other way around. Igor's drumming is furious yet still implementing his `tribal' vibe (Not as much as he would expand on this for future albums)

Arise is easily on the best Thrash Metal Albums to see the light of day... The 4-Piece Brazilian Metal heads would continue to make 2 more incredible tribal influenced metal albums... but the pure thrash aggression of this album was never equaled in their future works.

Favorite Songs: C.I.U, Arise, and Dead Embryonic Cells

-5 Stars

IF YOU LIKED, AGREED OR APPRECIATED THIS. PLEASE CLICK YES FOR:

"Was this review helpful?"
on July 24, 2005
1989's "Beneath the Remains" may have broken this Brazilian quartet through to the mainstream, but "Arise" was equally as important, influential, and great. And this 1991 album may (more-or-less) pick up where Sepultura left off two years ago, but Max's vocals on here are less death metal-ish than they were on "Beneath the Remains."

"Arise" is a true thrash metal masterpiece and it is also considered by most people (me included) to be Sepultura's last "pure thrash" disc. It is a complete tour de force for lead guitarist Andreas Kisser; his fingers must be worn down to the bone by the time he's done playing any one of these songs.

Even though "Arise" is "all killer, no filler," I will give a description of my favorite tracks, in case you're new to the band. The title track has blindingly fast guitar work and pounding drums, and "Dead Embryonic Cells" is the popular (and controversially named) lead single which has fiery, chugging riffs and thumping drums. "Desperate Cry" has many different parts to it, including several tempo changes and an acoustic intro. After the "Tarzan-esque" intro, "Altered State" turns to heavy churning, cascading, almost grinding riffs. A nice, long guitar solo is included, here, as well. "Under Siege" is mid-paced, with chug and churn guitars and an acoustic intro, but the next two tracks ("Meaningless Movements" and "Infected Voice") are straight-up, full speed ahead thrashers. Finally, "Orgasmatron" is a catchy Motorhead cover, and a nice homage to a Sepultura influence.

Max, Andreas, Igor, and Paulo Jr. would later make albums that were much more experimental and a lot less heavy than this album, but "Arise" is the sound of Sepultura at their pinnacle; here's where their thrash shines brightest. Like most Sep releases, "Arise" is a masterpiece and essential listening for all metalheads.
on October 19, 2002
My first year of grad school I rented a room in a 3-bedroom apartment on West 121st Street in Manhattan. My apartment mates were Bob, an aspiring playwright, and Naomi, an aspiring architect. We were by no means close - like orangutans we led solitary existences and crossed paths mainly at large feeding patches. Bob and I got on well enough, stopping to chat on those occasions when we encountered one another. Naomi was a more difficult animal - she didn't like to meet face to face, but rather preferred to leave me notes with little reminders about household chores it was my turn to do. Her notes were always signed N. as though she were a character straight out of some 19th century Russian novel. Plastered to the refrigerator, the bathroom mirror and even my bedroom door, N.'s little missives never failed to get under my skin and more often than not, I ignored them and returned to my lair to blast some death metal. Believe me I had some great death metal just waiting to be heard on such occasions - Obituary's The End Complete and Entombed's Left Hand Path leap immediately to mind. But even more compelling than those classics was Sepultura's Arise, a 42-minute slab of pure aural aggression. Max Cavalera's brutally precise riffing and wolf-like growl were enough to put that little N. beast and her petty desires out of my mind for awhile, that's for sure.
Sepultura's world on Arise is an unforgettable one - it is heavy, bleak and beautiful all at once. If you've ever driven the New Jersey Turnpike on a rainy afternoon and said to yourself, `damn, those factories are strangely beautiful', you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you're still clueless, imagine the sort of music that might go along with the song titles, "Dead Embryonic Cells", "Desperate Cry", "Altered State", and "Under Siege (Regnum Irae)". This is metal with an appeal that crosses international boundaries. I seem to recall once seeing the word "Sepultura" carved into a desk in a classroom atop a windswept hill on the campus of the University of Antananarivo in Madagascar. A pretty wide sphere of influence for the boys from Brazil, wouldn't you say? One word of warning - you may not want to listen to the lyrics closely if you like to sleep well at night. Max's lyrics are a lot more unsettling today than they were when this album came out 11 years ago. For example, on the first track, "Arise", he warns of a "terrorist confrontation waiting for the end" and "cities fall(ing) in ruin". Then, on the classic "Dead Embryonic Cells", Max rails against "tribal violence everywhere, life in the age of terrorism". Let's hope that's as prescient as Max gets as there's a lot of other disturbing stuff on here that we can only hope never happens.
Did I tell you that I really hated N.'s notes? Trust me, I got around to the chores eventually - I'm not that inconsiderate. Of course, I could have retaliated by leaving notes for N. when she fell behind in her chores, but decided that would be a bit unfair since as far as I could tell, N. didn't have her own copy of Arise to take solace in. No reason to put her through the stress of encountering notes signed J. if the poor dear had nothing to help her cope with them.
I know, annoying notes are not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. You probably have more to worry about than some recent Yale grad and her inordinate fondness for post-its. But, I'm telling you, Arise is the sort of album that can help you forget your minor worries, whatever they are, at least for awhile. Along with the groundbreaking Roots, Arise is one of Sepultura's two best releases and did time as my favorite album back in the early 90s. I listened to it again today and it still blows me away. If you dare to call yourself a metal fan, I expect to find Arise in your album collection the next time I look through it.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2008
Right at the dropping hour of grunge, this tasty sonic assault emerged, and it was good. VERY good. Sepultura was about as heavy as it got back in 1991, other than the then laboring in (mostly) obscurity, fledgling death, black and grind scenes...

Heavy, brutal, raw, primal, aggressive, antisocial, tribal, throbbing and pounding... nothing else in 1991 sounded anything like this. And it's still extremely good today. Most death metal has easily surpassed this disc in terms of sheer brutality, but Sepultura ain't far behind. The throat on Max FAR eclipses most death grunters and croakers in brutal, as you could UNDERSTAND and FEAR him. That's how it's done RIGHT. Max had something intelligent and socially relevant to say (that didn't fully emerge until a bit later, on "Chaos A.D.") and he ROARED it!

The drumming and rhythm work has always been what made Sepultura for me... very tribal, and they GROOVE like mad, even when thrashing like lunatics. Much more rhythmic and catchy than most death metal, and just as heavy.

HIGHLY recommended.
on March 26, 2015
"Arise" is one of the best Death Metal albums ever created by any band! Absolutely Heavy and Ferocious, Every song is better than average and will either leave you with your mouth hanging open in "awe" or banging your head until your neck hurts, Or both! The only other Sepultura album that comes close to this is it's predecessor "Beneath the Remains" which comes close......But Arise is flat out Brilliant! " Even today over 25 years later "it doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves"......It will hold up against any other Thrash/Death Metal album from any other band you can think of! I can go on and on about this album......But Hey, you be the JUDGE!
on May 7, 2015
This album Arise has got to be my favorite Sep album with Max,it's tied with Chaos AD but the coolest thing(to me is it was released on my birthday,April 2 1991)is it was released on my 1 year birthday & it is still a major staple in metal music and in any metalhead's collection. The album starts off with Arise which is just a powerhouse of a song,harsh vicious lyrics buzzsaw guitars and heavy pulse pounding drum & bass. Arise is just a taste of what's to come. Dead Embryonic Cells is another staple in their catalogue and remains a constant at almost every live show ever since it's release. It is not overrated,it's just that good ! The guitars are so heavy and groovy at the same time and Max voice really shines on this entire album. The drums sound immaculate not just on this song but the entire album,Igor never disappoints neither does the reat of the band. Desperate Cry is my favorite song,or 1 of my favorites because of the sheer power behind Max' voice. The groove is that in vain of Pantera's Walk,once it gets into your ears it stays in your head and makes you want to move your body & bang your head. Andreas guitar work is just downright awesome,the solo just crushes everything. Very thick and chunky basslines,nice and audible. I don't like how some bands you can hardly hear the bass but here it gets it's well deserved balance. Murder picks the pace up even more,as if that were possible. Amazing lyrics and just wicked heavy guitars like buzzsaws it is great. Subtraction is another 1 of my favorites,just catchy as all hell. With speedy thrash guitars and heavy bass,this is a song i find myself hitting repeat on alot. Altered State is just as good,loaded with crazy drum patterns and mean vocals from Max(this is another mosh song,for me anyways) loaded with rumbling bass from Paulo. Under Siege kicks in and speeds things up even faster with such amazing guitar work fom Andreas & Max,Andreas solos are amazing here and on the whole album. Meaningless Movement is just wicked in every sense of the word,great vox guitar bass & drums. This is another song worth repeating it is just addictive. Infected Voice is killer,loaded with brutal drums and bass. The reissue comes with Motorhead's Orgasmatron which i personally think Sepultura does better but that is just my opinion,the crunch they put onto this song is just insane. This song i repeat like 6 times i just love it,Andreas just pulls the solo off perfectly & the drums just sound way heavier here. All in all this is the perfect album for newcomers to the band & trust me get the reissue with Orgasmatron and another 2 songs that are rough cuts with just instruments. Pretty much early versions of the songs,i got mine for 5$ including shipping. This is thrash gold here i mean if you liked Schyzophrenia or Beneathe the Remains you are gonna love this baby here. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this album to anybody who loves good oldschool metal,this is a thrashterpiece plain and simple. Every song gets progressivley heavier as the album goes,it is just 1 of the best Sepultura albums out there,regardless of who the singer is. This is a great place to start for people new to the band or know the Derrick era Spultura & want to step back in time to the days of speed metal. You can't go wrong owning this album,go buy it !
on March 23, 2005
I bought this album for the cover (found out about Morbid Angel's Blessed Are The Sick the same way) At the time, '91, I was looking for fast aggressive music and when I picked up Sepultura's Arise and saw the cover I said to myself "This album looks like its going to kick my ass into the ground". And it did. Not just because the music is so brutal and well recorded, but because of the nature of the lyrics which are thoughtful, very political and VERY angry. They're worthy of any number of '80s era punk bands (not the limp pop mind candy of today) that put their frustration with the world and it's injustice to music. Max Cavalera's almost death metal like vocal delivery just ups the intensity. Arise is Sepultura's finest album if not their most musically sophisticated. This is before they got interested in tribal music, when Max, Igor, Andreas and Paulo wanted to just kick some major ass, thrash and vent. Quite simply, at the time they were probably the best metal band on the planet. Who knew that sunny Brazil could be such a hotbed for metal activity? It's a long way from The Girl From Ipanema to Infected Voice. The bonus tracks included in this release make a great album that much better. Buy it now.
on February 8, 2000
Sepultura is the only respected foreign act to ever make it in the States. They are one of the most respected thrash metal acts. This album gives me goosebumps everytime I listen to it. The sheer power of the songs is enough to make you lose your concentration if you're listening to it while driving. If you're a thrash metal fan, BUY THIS ALBUM! Trust me, you won't skip a track and listen to all the cuts!
on June 30, 1998
I like to think of this CD as Sepultura's Master of Puppets-it is the height of their old style before they begin to progress into newer and different styles. My favorite tracks are Arise, Dead Embryonic Cells, Desperate Cry, Altered State, Subtraction, and Orgasmatron. However, Murder has its moments, Infected voice has a really cool lick in the middle, and Meaningless Movements and the Intro are also pretty good. The only songs I really dont like are CIU and Under Seige. The Desperate Cry at the end is almost identical to the earlier one. Orgasmatron, originally by Motorhead, is probably the best Sepultura cover ever. The CDs musical aspect is very similar to Beneath the Remains, but rythym, notes, and time are more varied, and several songs have interesting sound effects as introductions. The overall sound quality of the CD is excellent, and the cover art is great. I highly recommend it.
on April 30, 2013
this album came out somewhat early in sepulturas existence, they found theyre own south American style of thrash and in my opinion it is their best album. it also contains my favorite sepultura songs. this album is a must for thrash metal, and death metal fans, and extreme metal lovers everywhere, its got speed, great atmosphere and chugging, headbanging, sing along songs that will get stuck in your head!