5.0 out of 5 stars A must for math teachers!!!
Published on August 12, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as "tricky" as I expected
Published on September 12, 2012 by J. English

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for math teachers!!!, August 12, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Arithmetricks: 50 Easy Ways to Add, Subtract, Multiply, and Divide Without a Calculator (Paperback)
I plan on using this book to enhance my students mental math abilities. This book is a great way to do the mental math and focus on that higher order thinking. This book is organized well, and is well-suited for classroom use. There were many tricks that I didn't even know existed and everything is still based on basic math. This can work from the slowest to the most advanced learner.

5.0 out of 5 stars She loves math now!, November 8, 2002
"tlsurrell" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
My 9 year old had always loved math but this year we moved and neither of us liked the math curriculum the new school used. She began hating math! We began homeschool (there were other problems too) BUT she continued fighting with the math work. I purchased this book and after only 4 lessons she's hooked on math again! She loves the tricks and VOLUNTARILY makes up her own problems to solve! She's already seeing how the "tricks" help her in her "normal" math work.

5.0 out of 5 stars guide your kids to a fast track performance, March 5, 2008
It is plainly a superb book, I'm amzaed that the mathematical tricks in this books are so useful in everyday life. It liberates one from growing dependency on calculators. It's a treat now to be able to do complex multiplication & division calculations in ones mind. Regular practise of tricks is a must for max benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool..., September 13, 2008
We got this book from the library to supplement my 5th grade daughter's homeschool math, and I've decided to purchase it. My undergraduate is in Physics, so I've done my share of arithmetic. What is so cool about this book is that it contains every trick I've ever come up with or figured out, plus a whole lot of others that I wish I'd known.

Learning these tricks is so much cooler than using a calculator!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth every penny!, June 2, 2008
This book is amazing and a must have for every student. It breaks down every mathmatical process in easy and understandable soultions that will leave you saying "Oh yeah I see it now" This was definately a 10 out 0f 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on during arithmetic in your head without calculator or writing down things, October 16, 2010
joe_whatsayee@yahoo.com (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
In Texas, U of Texas sponsors "UIL" which is "University Interscholastic League" -- a competition among public schools in several areas. One of these is "number sense", which is doing quick-thinking arithmetic in your head, or with assitance of a scratch sheet.

This book is the best one for training in that. I , after growing up, first had "Short-Cut Math" which is quite good, but this one does it one batter. I have 3 other books on the same subject, and this is the best of the five, althougn one which is quite cutesy might be a good starter for someone having a lot of trouble and needing some "mneumonic story aids".

This is formula manipulation, which in high school [ and even junior high now ] is called algebra. That't what's behind it all -- so kids that learn this have a leg-up on that field later on.

One other crucial fact for usage in "standardized testing" -- this is great for quickly "ball park estimating" the answers to multiple choice questions, which come up in word problems and chemistry in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upper Elementary and Middle School Math Teachers, August 17, 2011
This is, hands down, my favorite of the mental math/quick math tricks books (followed quickly by Secrets of Mental Math by Arthur Benjamin (and if you like that, you should get his course "The Secrets of Mental Math" DVD.)!

Addition trick #21 - "Gliding Across the Ice" - teaches single-digit addition from left to right. I regularly had fifth and sixth graders who swore they couldn't do this begging me within fifteen minutes to give them longer and longer strings of addition to test them! Trick #23 extends the ability with 2-digit numbers, etc.

The first half of the book has methods that seem so obvious when you see them that you wonder why you weren't shown them in school. That's why whenever I get the opportunity, either when teaching, substitute teaching, or tutoring, to show some of these "tricks" to students.

Great for "sponge" activities, also, or for transition times when you need to do something for 5 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 21, 2011
These Math tricks are great! I wish I learned these tricks when I was younger. I feel so smart for multiplying two double digit numbers together without using a calculator.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as "tricky" as I expected, September 12, 2012
I ordered this book because the reviews were great, but after receiving it and looking through the "tricks," I didn't see much that those of us who already do a lot of mental math haven't already figured out. For instance, what is 98 x 7? The trick is to realize that 98 is 2 less than 100. So do 100 x 7 (= 700), and then subtract 2 x 7 (=14), which equals 686. Lots of tricks along this vein. If you found my example helpful, you'll probably like more of the tricks in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arithmetricks: 50 Easy Ways to Add, Subtract, Multiply, and Divide Without a Calculator, March 18, 2007
The math tricks are very cool and easy to understand. This book is awsome for people of all ages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›