5.0 out of 5 stars I am a Arizona born Fly Angler who endorses this book., December 12, 1998
By A Customer
Reading Arizona Trout Streams, I thought my spots were being exposed. But as I got into the feel of the writers tone, I felt as if I were reading something written by a friend who was sharing his secrets. The book is punctuated by Arizona Fly Anglers names, friends of the authors who wrote the book. A nice touch. Certainly most people like to see their name in print, especially a book on our subject. Organized by geographics, the pages move from one stream to another in good form. Not all streams are listed, just the ones that are well known, and a few that aren't. One of my favorite streams is listed. The author gives it a poor rating, and for this I am happy. It seems that his idea of a small stream rating and mine do not closely match. That is ok by me, life is not black and white. There are some streams that I haven't even heard of. I know the area where they drain, but I haven't heard of them through my information channels or in my wanderings. I have a log, even one a little more in depth than I show you online. I check the insect hatches in my notes, and the hatches listed in Arizona Trout Streams is dead on. My knowledge of entomology is limited, but what I do know, I can say that it certainly matches the book. That my friends is a great feeling because I feel so lost when it comes to the Latin part of flye angling. I would have paid more for color pictures, but the black and white photographs are excellent. The pictures in the book look like ones that we have all taken. For instance, the Haigler Creek photograph is what I am talking about. A good look at what the stream really is. There is a section on Lee's Ferry that has been fully researched. The history of Trout strains at this tailwater are discussed along with flys and techniques used. I am impressed that I could have learned so much from a paperback book written on my subject. (my ego, has been deflated! just kidding.) Again, what a great book. Arizona Trout Streams is a must own for every Arizona Fly Angler and anyone who wants to know more about our Trout Streams. If you are thinking about coming to Arizona, go and purchase this book. It will make your knowledge of our streams match even some of us who have fished here our whole lives. Thank you Charles Meck and John Rohmer for making such a great book. I have been sweating it for a long time, and now I know that I am indeed learning many things, along with some new streams.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must-read book for all Arizona fly anglers., February 18, 1999
These two authors have taken much of the guess-work out of fly fishing new trout waters in Arizona. Their combined experience and knowledge have been put together to aid both beginner and experienced fly fishermen. Virtually every productive trout water in the state is covered, along with tips, techniques, directions, and tackle needed to be productive. The book is both fun and easy to read, plus extremely educational for the fly angler seeking to fish Arizona's trout waters. This is the much needed book that every fly fisherman/woman in Arizona has been waiting for. If you are even thinking about fishing in this state, read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars No place for an old man to fish, July 11, 2010
It is a great book, but it basically tells me that Arizona is a tough place to go fishing if your old.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only accurate fly fishing guide for Arizona!, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Arizona Trout Streams and Their Hatches: Fly Fishing in the High Deserts of Arizona and Western New Mexico, Second Edition (Paperback)
I purchased this for a trip and ended up leaving it with my host, who lives in Arizona. It is very informative, accurate and gives excellent suggestions for the different areas i fished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book..., December 27, 2012
Great information, lots of good reading. Can't wait to get out and do some fishing and use the info I learned....

4.0 out of 5 stars Arizona Trout Streams and Hatches, August 11, 2012
Strange its devoted to the HIGH DESERT streams but has a photo of a White Mountain Stream at nearly 9500' altitude
CLEARLY not desert in anyway, with over 30" of moisture a year spruce forest and nearly 200" of snow a year, so just that is highly inaccurate as adjacent Mogollon Mountains in New Mexico are simularly wet(relative)
But they do include the high desert streams that extend trout fishing down to the true desert, through the microclimates that extend the trout habitat to as low as 4900' of altitude(Lower Grant Grant Mount Graham, Az; Sapillo Creek Mogollon Mountains/Gila Wilderness, NM trout extend to 5000' altitude, but again not nearly as comphrehensive as Rex Johnson's books... FYI Rex also wrote a fascinating story about Mexico's relic trout in Sierra Madre called the Quiet Mountains, those interesting trout are relatives to the Gila and Apache Trout and possibly related to the Cutthroat as well that extend down to Southern New Mexico, What Iam glad is that both Charles Meck and Rex Johnson do detail the amazing variety and relatively large number of streams and lakes in areas surrounded by the true deserts of Southwest....

5.0 out of 5 stars This has opened to my eyes to what I have in my own backyard, December 28, 1998
By A Customer
I would like to commend the authors for a great job on a book that has given the Arizona resident like myself a new outlook on fly-fishing. I am excited about using the plethera of information that I have, and cannot wait until I can put this information to work on my next outing. Thank you Charlie and John for a job well-done!!