Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on August 15, 2011
Overall this is a great addition to Arkham Horror and every other expansion set they've ever made. It's basically just more cards for everything. I understand that with the big board expansions (Innsmouth, Dunwich & Kingsport) Miskatonic actually increases the odds of drawing an open gate at these boards. That's good news as the biggest problem with those boards is that you could have potentially finished a whole game without ever visiting those boards. Um, this comment is for all you veterans.

If you're completely new to Arkham Horror, I DON'T recommend you buying this product. Why? Again, pretty much what this box does is expand on all the previous expansions. So if you don't have any of the old expansions or only half of them, this box is a heavy drop in the wallet for you. Buy this expansion last out of all of them and you'll feel your money's better earned. Or after you've purchased all three of aforementioned board expansion sets.

The box also includes some quick reference cards that tell you your limits based on # of players like monster limit on board, outskirt limit, # of open gates until the AO awakens. These cards are surprisingly useful. When I first looked at these I thought they'd be useless as you just remember this stuff anyways but with the cards it's a great quick reference for everyone at the table to glance at. So we use them all the time.

The last thing the box introduces are institutions. These are similar to Guardians except they're man-made and man-run organizations like the Miskatonic Univeristy, the Crime Organization and the FBI Bureau. Since we've played a few games with all of them, my players (and most everyone on the net) think these cards weren't thoroughly play-tested. All of them could have been tweaked just a bit. And this may be the most disappointing thing as I read the previews on these organizations I was pretty excited about seeing a semi-new mechanic being introduced but now, it's a shame that they just weren't play-tested enough.

Actually, my biggest disappointment was that they really didn't fix the Lurker herald. Sigh. They just added more reckoning cards and some of them are pretty deadly. But what they really needed to do was to fix and reprint the Lurker Herald card. Oh well, maybe next time.

Overall a great buy if you're a vet and have every expansion set but if you're a newbie, hold off on this one.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
This one expands the previous expansions of Arkham. If you haven't already purchased a number of the expansions (at least 4) it's probably not worth the money, but if you have almost all the other expansions and are looking for a way for them to all integrate together better...this is a great way to do it.
on December 27, 2015
Boyfriend was thrilled to receive this for the holidays. Was a little disappointed there weren't more Gods in the box and confused why there were Dunwich Horror sheets in the box, but once played he really enjoyed the expansion
on February 20, 2013
Bought this as a gift for my husband. We both enjoy playing Arkham Horror. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it turns out to be a fabulous expansion for your existing expansions (which we already had). We both enjoyed what this expansion added to the game play. Obviously, this would be a terrible expansion if you don't already own other expansions.
on April 10, 2013
Arkham Horror had become a "dolls house" game by the time this was put out, with people (me included) queuing up to buy the latest expansion (sometimes twice if early adoption produced poor rules).

Well, thank Azathoth Itself this was the last expansion for the game because FFG would have gotten no more money from me afterward anyway.

My own fault in a way, because I pre-ordered it based on the fact it was a new expansion and the box was one of the big ones. I was expecting a board-based expansion.

Yes there are a lot of cards in the box, but most of them have such specific prerequisites that you'll only usually be playing with a fraction of them (unless I've completely misunderstood the purpose).

The box is the same size as the "board" expansions, but could have been an Elder Sign sized one as most of the internal space is air. I opened mine in front of my LFGS owner and we both just stared and said "What the..."

The cards are beautiful, the usual high quality affair and that does cost to put in front of people, but the fact is that each of the subsets of these cards could have been made available for those who felt the need at a fraction of the cost of the full "one-size fits nobody" version, maybe in sachet packaging.

My overall feeling was that I'd been royally taken and I decided right there that I'd not buy anything else from this game series again.

I also question the utility of cards that can only be used if more than one expansion is used, since adding two extra boards to the basic set would require something the size of an English billiard table to accommodate, a footprint I doubt very many can achieve in the home. I stand ready to be contradicted.

Your mileage will certainly vary, of course, and if you've exhausted the possibilities of AH, AH+DH, AH+IH, AH+KH, AH+DH+IH, AH ...... AH+IH+KH+TBGOOW+TLATT+TCOTDP+TKIY then you have no other choice but to either buy this box and double your options or to play a different game altogether.
on August 20, 2011
This is a biog box expansion, but with no additional map. This means that it has *lots* of cards, enough cards to expand all of the other expansions and the basic game, actually.

I do not have all of the expansions, but after seeing some of the cards in this set, I think I might have to get them.

Plus there are officially printed versions of The Dunwich Horror and a couple other things you could get off the website, but probably not print on glossy cardstock the way Fantasy Flight can. Now all the eldritch evils are on nice shiny cardstock!

An excellent expansion overall!
on May 13, 2013
This is a great expansion pack for Arkham Horror... if you already have expansion packs. This pack adds cards to the packs you already have. It does not stand alone with Arkham Horror.
on June 20, 2013
If you own Arkham Horror and at least one of the other "big box" expansions, this expansion is a must. It significantly improves almost every aspect of the game and provides even more options and replayability.

Please note that this expansion, while in a "big box," does not come with a new board for further exploration. It simply provides more options for each existing "big box" expansion.
on January 28, 2014
If you only have the vanilla base game, then don't get this expansion. This is an add-on for all the other expansions before it, so it won't be a full fledge expansion with boards and stuff. The more expansions you have, the more worthwhile to buy this.
on May 28, 2016
Love the Arkham Horror games, and this adds another layer of character and depth to the game, not just in Arkham, but in the expansions as well. We don't play it without this expansion anymore!