Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Color: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on August 25, 2011
I purchased this after previously purchasing the ARKON SM532 Slim-Grip Bicycle and Motorcycle Mount for Smartphone - Bulk Packaging - Black (which I don't recommend). This holder holds my phone securely when used with the included Bungee Strap which is a necessity. Note that an earlier version of this product - Arkon SM427 Universal Bicycle/Motorcycle Mount with Mega Grip Holder for iPhone, HTC EVO 4G, HD2, Droid Incredible, Droid X, Galaxy S - is cheaper but does not include the Bungee Strap, so be careful you buy the newer SM432. The reason I bought this product was that the Akron SM532 failed to hold my phone when I encountered a bump in the trail; hitting the same bump at speed with this product, my phone remained securely in place.
33 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2011
I was excited to receive this product as I was hoping to have a GPS/Speedometer/trail tracker via my Android smartphone on the handlebars of my trail bike.
I got it all mounted and ready to go. When I hit the first bump, I lost the whole deal...the mounting along with the phone came flying off and onto the pavement. Gotta hand it to the HTC folks, the phone lived thru it OK, but the design of the Arkon mount leaves much to be desired.

Akron, if you are reading this, please feel free to contact me for a conversation about the set screw you include. It is not long enough to keep the mount from shaking loose. I had to purchase a longer one at the hardware store.
66 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2012
I've had two of these, both have been failures.

When you first get these, they actually seem fairly stable and secure. Mounting, with the right tools, if fairly easy, and they will fit most any phone / ipod. The part that actually holds the device seems pretty secure too. It has plenty of padding, and I never had any problems with my phone coming loose. In fact, for the first few bike rides, it'll probably do great.

The problem comes from just after a little use and after a few normal bumps (pot-holes, speed-bumps, etc), some of the plastic starts to get worn and the quick release mounts come loose. For me, after a few rides and a few bumps, the plastic has gotten loose enough that the full mounting phone holder part has fallen off. Luckily, my phone wasn't in there, otherwise it would have taken a hard smack onto the ground.

To be honest, the first time this happened it was on the previous model of this mount. When that one broke I saw this one, same manufacturer, but they said it was a newer model, so I gave them a second chance. It does appear to be a bit stronger, but it still has the same basic design flaws on how the pieces all fit together.

After two of these, I don't think it is in my best interest to put an expensive phone in a device which is just one bump away from falling. Not TNSR friendly.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2011
I've had this mount for a few weeks now. From the start, the way it pieced together didn't seem completely secure. After about a week the bungee snapped out of the piece its attached to and that piece came completely apart while I was headed down a road at 20+ mph with a car on my shoulder. Luckily I managed to pin my phone between my leg and the bike frame until I could stop. After super-gluing that piece back together it seems to work again but still makes me nervous. Not a completely horrible product, but be wary of the piece holding the bungee cord.
on May 3, 2012
If I could give this product a negative number I would. First, the top part slid off on a ride when I was going 30 mph sending my iPhone 4S spilling all over the road. Then, maybe a month later after I put black tape under the sliding thing to keep it from sliding off...the entire effing mount just freaking CRACKED. I was going about 25 mph and not even that rough of a road and the stem jut popped in two pieces - and there went my $600 iPhone tumbling down the road. If you are a serious rider, stay the heck away from this POS...unless you get a thrill out of watching your expensive electronics do somersaults on the road.
on March 24, 2012
Overall the construction is good for the price. The locking screw that it came with doesn't work well so I just super glued the 3 mount portions together.
Not the round locking part, just the keyed slide points. I think this is what others complained about , but it was 1 minute fix.

Just watch the video , held up pretty well and I didn't secure it too well , slid it up to make the video.

Here is a video of it on my MTB , on some pretty rough ride. Max speed of 25 over all kinds of roots, rocks and mud.

Also take a bit of string tie it around your mount and phone and tie the other end to your handle bars.

This is just in case you crash or something and break the mount your phone won't go flying.

Also the top strap can and should be strapped to have the top right corner of your phone locked in place.
on September 28, 2014
The item looked a little cheap but went right onto the handlebars of my large V-twin motorcycle. It has little rubber spacers so that it fits a variety of handlebar sizes; I was skeptical that it would hold considering my bars are significantly smaller in diameter than the mounting clamps. Anyhow, screwed it on and rode 380 miles without any adjustment and the mount held without budging. I can see that it cold weather, the plastic knob could be vulnerable to breakage -- especially if you grab the thing and try to move it -- so time will tell. The mount has a nice angle to it so I don't see any need to move the phone once it's in a satisfactory position. The mechanical clamps hold my phone tight -- I tried it out by mounting the phone and swinging the mounting unit around and trying to throw off my phone -- but it held tight with no movement. The bungee cord is just extra insurance against loss. I have no reason to doubt the durability of this unit and would recommend it to a friend. For reference, I have one of the smaller smart phones: an LG34C Optimus Fuel. But a larger phone would also work as the mechanical clamps spread quite wide.

UPDATE: 4/15/15. I sold my big V-Twin bike and got a smaller V-Twin (V-Strom 650) in January (2015). This little phone mount went onto the wee and it works fine. I ride year round and have used the mount in temperatures down to 5 degrees without any problems. It is plastic and I don't expect the thing to last forever but for now, it continues to serve me well.

UPDATE: 10-15-15 -- Have over 12,000 miles on this great little phone holder with no problems. I'll buy another one if this one ever breaks. Wonderful little item.
on April 2, 2013
I use my phone to track miles ridden and average speed. I found that the phone would sometimes turn off the app in my pocket. I needed to do something. I was skeptical after reading the negative reviews. I went ahead and ordered this after finding out that five people I know have this same model. They all swear by it. I received mine today and noticed that there is a set screw on the back that seems to fix the breaking issue that causes this item to come apart. It seems very well made and should work fine. I will update as I use it more.
on April 13, 2015
My husband loves it - I got this as a gift to go on his gxsr - I was worried because his bike doesn't really have handle bars, but he did find a spot that works and is perfect for this mount. It's also very sturdy.
review image
on May 19, 2013
Bought two of these for our iPhones. They hold the phone in, securely, and the rubber strap which wraps around the phone is reassuring it's not going anywhere! Those with iPhones, protected with otterbox defender cases (like mine), will have to leave the otterbox clip on portion at home, and just use the otterbox cover. Works great!