Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 13, 2009
I use it for keeping track of my water time during dawn-patrol surf sessions. Fair price..You get what you pay for. It beats the price of a parking ticket any day though.

The only complaint is it's bad button design. It's a nightmare to program.
on October 21, 2014
Pros: The price point. At less than $20.00 this watch is perfect for knock-about wear. Even if it only lasts 6 months, you've gotten your money's worth. Longevity. I bought this exact same watch about 15 years ago and am only now having to replace it. It has an alarm feature as well as being able to display in military time.

Cons: The display on this watch is a bit hard to see in bright sunlight. The days of the week are in such small type that they are nearly impossible to see. The main complaint about this watch is that it is extremely hard to learn how to program. When I bought this watch, it came with explicit instructions and I had no problem following those instructions. However, a year down the line, after I had lost the instructions, I had to work for about 20 minutes to figure how to change the time and date. Once you get in the habit and change things a couple of times it's no problem but be aware that this watch is a bit hard to figure out. I highly advise keeping the instructions cause you will need them at least twice a year, (Daylight Saving Time change). Also, as some folks have noted, because of the guards around the buttons, one has to use a fingernail or something else to get leverage on the buttons.

Other Thoughts: I bought one of these watches back before the turn of the Millennium and it finally died, (battery gave up the ghost), about 2 weeks ago. Along the way, all the outer covering on the Velcro wrist band came off, the crystal got scratched, (though not too badly), and some of the Grey paint rubbed off down to the basic black plastic. It survived my great grandson liking to push the button so the face would light up and various and sundry knocks and bumps and drops. I never shower with my watch on, nor have I ever gone swimming with my watch on, (too many bad experiences in the past to ever trust the term "Water proof/resistant" especially in a digital watch), so I can't comment on that aspect. Will it last as long, and work as well, for you? I don't know. I will just say this: In my opinion and experience, this is a watch that would have done the Timex brand name proud.

Needless to say, I ordered another as soon as my display screen went blank.
on September 24, 2010
I use this watch everyday and work outside drilling and doing other grunt work. It has been covered in mud, concrete, grout, sand, you name it and it has been all over this watch. I just clean it up and it never stops working. Love this watch. Anyone who works outside and needs a good sturdy cheap watch, I would highly recommend this one.
on March 26, 2011
This is my everyday knock-around watch. I wear it day & night, in the shower, swimming, working in the garden, etc. It keeps great time and has calendar and stop-watch functions. Dressy? No, but I have a Rolex and a vintage Hamilton for special occasions. For a watch under $20, this one rocks!
This is my second Armitron 40-6623BLK. The first one was almost six years old, and the battery was on its last legs, so it wouldn't light up anymore. I suppose I could have replaced the battery, but the face was all scratched up from hard use, and the band was almost worn through anyway. Face it, a new battery and a replacement band would have been close to $20 and the face would still be all scatched.
on March 24, 2013
Great affordable watch. I've worn this watch daily for over two years with original battery and it still works fine. Physically you can tell I have worn it every day. The button text is no longer visible, the screen has a nice hairline scratch, the Velcro strap is frayed and faded, and the paint of the light gray corners are chipping to reveal the darker gray underneath. Luckily I am a function over fashion kind of guy because I am rough on everything. This watch is reliable and affordable.
on June 2, 2011
I purchased this watch for my husband, who has recently taken up long-distance running and wanted a way to keep track of his times. Until I got him this watch, he was using our kitchen timer, which was probably quite a pain to hold onto all those miles. I knew I didn't want an expensive watch since he'd be using this to get sweaty and dirty, but I wanted one that would work for time-keeping. This seems to have done the trick. He has had no complaints as far as comfort goes, and he definitely prefers this to the kitchen timer!
on June 8, 2011
This is the fourth of six watches I gobbled up by using a recent gift card. You should know that I have owned it for less than two weeks, so I will defer to other reviewers who have posted that this watch will last, literally, for years. That said, I do have some preliminary opinions on it.

First, the display. The 40-6623 does not have an inordinately large time display. For a relatively large watch (dimensions are right on this website!), the 40-6623 has digits the size of a Timex 1440. So, I have to rate the readability as average. However, I am happy that the display seems to be visible from multiple angles. I can put my wrist at a very subtle turn, with only a quarter of the watch face visible (think quarter moon), and still make out what time it is...a useful feature for boring meetings, long-winded acquaintances, or just knowing the time when you want to be subtle. At some angles, the face appears beige, at others light green, and at 45 degree angles, a bright green!

Second, comfort. The 40-6623 comes with a nylon and velcro strap. Both the hook and the loop portions are about 4 inches long, so you could probably fit a wrist as big as 7 inches or as small as you want (the hook would overlap on the smallest wrist, but I don't see why someone with wrists that small would choose this watch). Being standard nylon construction, the band isn't exceptionally comfortable. You can feel the nylon, the stiched corners, and the seams even with a relatively loose fit. In any case, it is no worse than most metal wrist-bands I have worn, so if I had to rate comfort, I would rate it 2.5 on a 5 scale. On the other hand, the velcro strap is also replaceable, which gives it an advantage of many of the "built-in" straps these days; if it peels, breaks, or needs to be replaced, the 40-6623 has standard watchband pins installed, so you can replace it with another velcro strap OR install a standard band. I've even been guilty of carrying larger watches with no strap like a pocket watch, and the 40-6623 seems to be a good candidate for this option, too.

Third, features. This is where the 40-6623 gets a little vague with me, so proceed at your own risk. The buttons are small, and shielded by projections on both sides of each button. This is a blessing and a curse. With shielded buttons, it will be unlikely that the watch will be reset, stopped, beeped, or otherwise adjusted unintentionally; that's a GOOD thing on a knockabout watch. For people with average to large fingertips, be ready to use your fingernails or even a tool to adjust the buttons. I can readily see how this would be horrible for some users if they want to use the buttons often.

So, if you can GET to the buttons, the Armitron is fairly simple to set up and program. I don't use chimes and alarms much, and the stopwatch is easy to access, start, stop, and clear. The light will stay on for about three seconds, then fade away, which is pretty helpful, too. I like the fact that this model has a different color for the light button (orange), which makes it easy to remember which button activates the light (though I must admit, I don't know if this would be too functional in absolute darkness!! :) )

The date is accessed by the date button, which doesn't bother me too much, even though it isn't ideal. (Too simple, you say? Most watches offer a date display without pushing any buttons). The day of the week is displayed by a tiny letter underneath a "permanent" week header. Not a problem for me, but could annoy people who want a quicker day-of-week display.

For looks, I'd have to say this model is pretty standard. It's not exactly ugly, but I can't say it screams "chic" either. Practical, unobtrusive, and functional come to mind. It does appear to be pretty light, even with the band attached. And, as I've commented in earlier reviews, having a battery accessible with screws is light-years ahead of any friction-fit watch back.

Lastly, the 40-6623 has some raised dots on the face which help compliment its slightly inset crystal. This will reduce, but not eliminate, the possibility of scratching up the crystal while the watch is in a face-down storage setting.

Since others have commented on its suitability in work situations, I expect the 40-6623 will become a watch I use while fishing or doing other work outdoors. The price was certainly right, and with that it offers some pretty acceptable features.
on December 13, 2011
My husband is tough on watches. They get banged up, dropped, wet, and any other thing you can imagine. This is the second Armitron we've purchased for him. They stand up to the abuse he dishes out and the price is right. When this one wears out, we'll definitely buy another.
on March 13, 2010
I love this watch. I have worn it for over a decade. I even replaced the band a few years ago, because I just couldn't imagine not having this watch on my wrist. Never once had to replace the battery. Yes, the buttons are a little bit small, but once you get used to it, it's no big deal. Great watch if you are athletic, and want to go swimming, fishing, or have a job in a steel factory. It's a rough, tough watch. Has a nifty stop watch, alarm system too. Day of the week prominently displayed on the front of the watch. Even has military time as well. I love this watch. It rocks. My wife says that she is glad that a $14.00 watch makes me happy.
on January 9, 2010
This is my daily worn, non formal, watch which is constantly in my possession. I have owned an Armitron watch for the past ten years and found it to be reliable and accurate. It is constantly exposed to water and vigorous outside activities.You certainly receive your moneys worth with the purchase of this inexpensice item.

See 1 answered question