4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Great for the working man
Published on October 7, 2009 by Max E. Schlosser

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting
I received this as a birthday gift from my girlfriend. I work in an emergency and trauma center and wanted an inexpensive watch to wear that would hold up to the at times chaotic environment that I work in. Watch hasn't worked since day one, and because she bought it for me early and didn't give it to me until my birthday, I can't return it to Amazon.

The...
Published on November 8, 2011 by HanzerKeeto

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Great for the working man, October 7, 2009
This review is from: Armitron Sport Men's 201437GRN Chronograph Analog-Digital Instalite Black Watch (Watch)
This watch is one of the most durable, most reliable watches I have ever seen! To be honest I was very surprised at how long this thing lasted. I'm a Marine, and I bought this watch almost two years ago, and since buying it the watch has been through Marine Combat Training, hot and cold climate conditions, Mojave Viper training exercises a full tour in Iraq and a deployment to Bangladesh.

As a Combat Engineer and working hard, long hours of construction on all my deployments I can tell you hands down that this watch has taken a hell of a beating. It has out-performed so many other watches, that I am reluctant to get rid of it and get a new one. For the $25 you would pay for this watch you will get a product that will last you through hell and back. I will say though that some features were not up to par, thus why I rated it at 4 stars and not five.

The following are the only minor indiscretions I have with the watch. For one, like another review stated, the analog knob for adjusting time fell out one day when I went to adjust the time. I was able to put it back in though, and it still held up its water resistance up until the present. I can attest to this, having just completed a swim qualification and the fact that I wear it in the shower everyday. That was all fine and dandy, but about a month after my deployment to Iraq, the analog function stopped working completely. Everything was still good, as the digital time on the watch still functions perfectly and that's all I need. The only other thing that failed on me, and this is the big one, is the rubber that holds that band in place. This broke a couple days ago, and it broke my heart. This was a great watch, and to be honest I just put electrical tape on it to hold the band to the case, but I think I'll bite the bullet here and just get a new watch.

Hats off to Armitron for making one of the most durable, long lasting watches I have ever seen. I would highly recommend this watch as an inexpensive watch for someone in any lines of work involving hard labor, long hours and low pay. Great deal, it will last you long time, and definitely some serious bang for your buck.

Max-

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed with features, but looks more rugged than it is, August 30, 2008
webapalooza "webapalooza" (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Nice watch, although a little bulky. By that I mean it has a high profile. Including the wrist strap, it is 3/4" thick, which is pretty thick for a watch. So if you have large wrists and are wearing a long-sleeved shirt you might not be able to get your cuffs down over this watch. Luckily I have thin wrists so this is not a problem.

I use this as my "weekend watch" and it fits the bill nicely (I have a nicer watch that I wear to work or when I need to dress up). It's a very rugged, "outdoorsy" looking watch. The color scheme of this watch is black and bronze around the clock face, then pewter for the body and olive green and black for the fabric and synthetic leather wrist band.

Armitron is made in Thailand, and they sure do pack a lot of features into their watches. I like the combo digital-analog watch face, the sweep second hand, the "glow" feature is great in the dark, and the lap timer and chronograph are also nice. Throw in a calendar, dual alarms and an hourly chime and you're getting a lot of bang for your $25 bucks.

My only complaint is the wrist band appears to be permanently attached, so when it eventually gives out (and it will) the watch will become useless. Maybe I'm wrong and a jeweler could replace the wrist band, but it doesn't look like it to me. But hey, for $25 you could just buy another watch, right?

I wish Armitron would make an "upscale" line of watches, with metal bodies and detachable wrist bands. I'd gladly pay double for a heavy-duty version of this watch if I knew it would last me a good long time.

TIP: The printed instructions are hidden inside the plastic support the watch comes wrapped around. You have to pop it open to get at them. So don't throw out the packaging until you've extracted the instructions!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, November 8, 2011
HanzerKeeto (Kettering, OH United States) - See all my reviews

The analog hands get 'stuck' and the second hand will just click in place. I figured the battery needed to be changed so I removed 8 screws and removed the flat battery (which by the way was a completely different size then the one listed on the included instructions), so I had to go out and buy another battery once I got the correct number off the existing battery. Didn't do a thing. Did some more poking around and noticed there is a second battery nestled below the first battery. This second battery controls the analog movement whereas the first battery controls the digital.

So after removing a total of 14 screws, I got to the second battery. Some fantastic engineering there. Why make it so simple as unscrewing the back of the watch to replace a battery when you can have the customer remove 14 microscopic screws instead. You get what you pay for. So I replace this second battery, put the 14 screws and 3 oddly shaped pieces of metal that are also enclosed in the watch housing back together and I have the same non-functioning watch.

So now I'm down the cost of 3 packs of batteries, and Armitron wants me to send them the watch and 10 bux to fix it. That's not going to happen. I'll just lie to my girlfriend and tell her I was able to return it so she stops feeling bad about this hassle of a birthday present, and buy something that might actually work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Watch but Hate the Band, March 3, 2013
The watch is great and has all of the functions that I was looking for, to wit: alarm, water resistant, analog face, day, date, month, and 24-hour digital. The downside is the watchband and vinyl gasket under the watch. The band goes completely under the watch and with the vinyl (or plastic) gasket that is under the watch the watch raises too far above the wrist. Those features make the watch almost 3/4" thick and very uncomfortable to wear with long sleeves. What functioning moron designed those features? I had to buy a new "normal" watch band so I could wear the watch with long-sleeved shirts.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOESN'T WORK, December 27, 2012
.Watch arrived 4 days later than expected (due to weather). Wasn't able to set any of the digital functions, although I read both sets of instructions. Watch wouldn't go into SET mode. Sent it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, January 28, 2012
el produco seleccionado y comprado por mi persona, llego en el tiempo especificado sin contra tiempos ni demoras. muchas gracias

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, October 6, 2011
MattSub (VA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this watch because it had the same features I had become used to on the old Armitron watch I recently retired and was inexpensive. I don't care for metal watchbands and this one is comfortable. It is a tall watch, but compared to my old stainless case watch, is very lightweight. The analog hands are very easy to read under most all light conditions, even without my glasses. The LCD, when held at the right angle, practically glows by itself and is also easy to read. It's durability is yet to be proven, but so far I am very happy with it, especially for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otimo relogio! (TRANSLATION) : Great to watch!, September 1, 2011
Este relogio e otimo!!! Moro em Sao Paulo no Brasil e uso todos os dias na academia. Tambem uso para nadar na piscina ele nunca deu problema. Quem tiver interesse em comprar , pode compra-lo sem medo. Parabens Amazon pela rapida entrega do produto! ( TRANSLATION ) : This watch is great!! I live in Sao Paulo in Brazil and use it every day in the gym. Also use to swim in the pool he never gave problem. Those interested in buying, you can buy it without fear. Congratulations Amazon for fast delivery of product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality, May 31, 2009
Working in law enforcement, this watch provides durability in an ever changing environment. I wear it daily while on the job and have no complaints about the style, quality, and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars watch review, June 21, 2004
By A Customer
Best watch ever made by armitron to work in. It also has two alarms so that if you need to be somewhere at two different times then you dont have to set it every time. For example: I like the simpsons and there on at 6:00 and 7:30.You can just set both the alarms so you wont forget to change the other one.