Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 8, 2010
With a $14 price + free shipping I decided to buy it even though I had no idea what functions the watch has. The watch arrived today. It has a very bright display with large,dark digits. It a easy display for my aging eyes to read. The watch also has a single daily alarm, what appears to be a 24 hr stopwatch, dual time, 12/24 hr time, and a hourly time signal. The watch doesn't have a countdown timer. The EL backlight lights the display not the watch face. The watch beeps between modes; the beep and the alarm are very loud. Pushing the upper right button toggles the display between the time and the day/date, and the month, date,year.The band is a resin band that is soft and so far comfortable. There is a hole at the end of the band and a bump inside the strap keeper. The hole at the end of the band fits into the bump on the strap keeper and keeps the strap keeper from moving around. This watch is the equivalent of the lower end Casio digital watches. If you like Armitron watches, need just a basic watch, the price of this one can't be beat.
on November 1, 2012
Pros:
Price
Band is soft and comfortable
Big display easy to see
Water resistant so far
No need for instructions if you have a minimum of intelligence. Push a few buttons and you'll figure it out.

Cons:
Useless numerical markings around the bezel.
Viewing angle is not as wide as I would like. I have to turn my wrist a bit to see it or else I see all the segments regardless if they are active or not. Its a small point but it irritates me.

The "EL" lighting was not what I expected, but works fine. Basically only the active segments of the display are lit. If you can see what time it is, and push the light button, you wont see any difference. But if you can't see the time, and you push the button, you can read the time clearly. I was expecting the whole display to have a light from the side or something, but this gets the job done. Its not a wrist mounted light for emergency situations though, if that's what your looking for.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase but a little disappointed with the usable viewing angle.

One more thing you might find interesting is it shipped without a manual, and the box still had a Target department store price tag on the bottom for 14.99.

EDIT: Two years after purchasing it I have worn it every day and its still works. It has proved water proof for pool use. The alarm function is properly loud without being annoying. The case has resisted scratches much better than I expected it would. Twice it lost any display and when I pushed a button it reset to midnight. The band keeper broke and I replaced it with a piece of velcro. The display inside shifts over a tiny bit when I push a button. Overall excellent for this price.
on May 26, 2014
I've had Casio and other watches, and this is a little different, specifically the illumination (now bottom 4:00 position) and reset buttons (now upper 10:00 position) switched compared with the others. Not hard to figure out. No online PDF or downloadable directions for this specific watch to keep for posterity, but there are some generic directions for the 40/8 series that don't exactly match (mode sequence is different). However, these are good enough to save electronically and get the job done for anyone with a smidgen of intelligence and techieness.

Nice thing about this is I can make out the numbers without my glasses and see the timer when swimming laps and most specifically when doing my Tabata intervals. Note that when viewed from an angle greater than ~30 degrees, all the "background" stuff appears, so it may appear the alarm is on, hourly chime, etc, and it is almost impossible to make out the time. I note this for you; however is no problem whatsoever for me. Also, the illumination of the numbers when the EL button is pressed gives off essentially no light - it is only the numbers themselves that are highlighted. Which may be good or bad depending on your perspective.

As long as it doesn't leak like my Walmart 100m water resistance watch, I'll be very (very) happy.
on May 1, 2012
There's nothing cheap about this watch except for the price. I have a beautiful, elegant, lightweight and incredibly thin Skagen watch w/calendar. In addition, it has a silky smooth titanium mesh band. So why the downgrade to a "cheap" Armitron? For the first time in years, I can look at my wrist and instantly know the time and date. The clear conveyance of this basic information should probably be #1 and #2 in a watch's skill set. As much as I love the look and feel of my Skagen, time and date were secondary to "cool" when I bought it. Its black face, titanium hour indicators, and microscopic date window appealed to my less-is-more side. I'm an architect and for years I've put up with this triumph of style over substance. So now I'm a nerd/geek with an Armitron digital. So shoot me! I can now see the time and date without twisting my wrist side-to-side until I catch the light at just the right angle to read the darn thing.

Life, once again, is good.

Sleeping Where I Fall: A Chronicle
The Dance
on April 19, 2013
I gave it 3 stars, but it is hard to rate.
It has good big digital characters, easy to read.
It has intelligible instructions; those who didn't find instructions may have just not found them, as they were hidden inside the plastic frame on which the watch comes. It took a few minutes to figure out how to open that center frame, but once figured out, I found instructions inside.

I bought this to get a watch that gave me a chime or alarm every hour. And this watch does so, but the chime is so faint that more times than not I do not hear it.
I am not as young as I used to be, but I would not be considered hard-of-hearing. Still, human ears get less sensitive to high pitches as life time increases. Children can hear high pitches that adults cannot hear at all. ¿Ever hear of the high-pitched ring tones on cell phones that kids can use (like in school) which adult teachers cannot hear, but kids can? What's it called, Angel Whisper ring tone? Maybe a 25 year old would hear the chime every hour -- I don't know; I haven't been 25 for a while.

The hourly chime is high pitched, & I can often hear it if in a silent room and expecting it. But going about my daily business, more hours than not today (first day of use), I did not hear the chime.

For $20 it is hard to complain. There is a $100 watch on Amazon that probably is louder. Still, I got it for a hourly chime purpose; so for me, I nearly wasted my money. I guess I'll spring for the $100 watch.

It does have an alarm, which may be louder, but it is only once a day I think. If you just want a watch, It does appear to be worth $20.
Of course for myself, I prefer a leather band to the plastic that comes with this one. But I doubt that this band will be easy to replace, as it looks peculiar to me.
on May 4, 2015
So far so good. I purchased this to replace my old "work watch" which died. The "face" is large, so easy to read. Learning the "functions" was not too difficult. My wrist is smaller than the average guy's, yet the band fits well (there is plenty of band, however, for larger wrists too).
on July 21, 2014
Pros:
Nice big (non-stupid looking) numbers. Good functionality at this price-point. Reverse lit numbers (characters light up, background stays dark). Perfect as a beater for me.

Cons:
Plastic crystal. To be expected at this price-point. I added some 2mil security film I got from a tint shop to keep the scratches down. Pretty much useless hash-marks around the bezel. Light is a little on the dim side.

Bottom line:
Good for what it is, a very usable, basic beater watch.
on October 30, 2011
This watch is nothing special, but it keeps time, displays it clearly and has a stop watch and alarm mode. My watch came with a brief owner's manual, but it didn't apply to this model. I searched the web and didn't find one. I was able to figure out how to set it and what the pushers control in each mode. Crisis averted.

As other reviewers mentioned, the numbers light up, not the display background. They light in a teal blue. One other thing: the dial is surrounded by minute indices, as well as numbers, as if this watch had hands. They serve no purpose at all.
on July 15, 2013
I admit that when I bought my first Armitron watch (about 15 years ago) I did so with reservations because I had never heard of the brand. I suspected it would be cheap and I would regret my purchase, but the watch had all of the features I wanted and was very inexpensive. Well, I have bought at least 5 more Armitrons over the years (I'm hard on watches) and I have never been disappointed. Great watches at great prices! And I like the larger numbers available on some models. This watch is the best.
on September 12, 2013
I have not worn a watch in years and never liked to. I finally realized I needed one for work and wear it at work. It is sharp looking as it appears to be strongly built. The band looks as if it is strongly placed to the watch face. I have had other watches where the bar on the band breaks. It is easy to set up and so far I am happy with the item.

See 1 answered question