4.0 out of 5 stars More Information About the Watch
Published on February 8, 2010 by Daniel F. Schopp

3.0 out of 5 stars Hourly Chime is too faint for me
I gave it 3 stars, but it is hard to rate.
It has good big digital characters, easy to read.
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars More Information About the Watch, February 8, 2010
This review is from: Armitron Sport Men's 408191BLK Black Digital Chronograph Watch (Watch)
With a $14 price + free shipping I decided to buy it even though I had no idea what functions the watch has. The watch arrived today. It has a very bright display with large,dark digits. It a easy display for my aging eyes to read. The watch also has a single daily alarm, what appears to be a 24 hr stopwatch, dual time, 12/24 hr time, and a hourly time signal. The watch doesn't have a countdown timer. The EL backlight lights the display not the watch face. The watch beeps between modes; the beep and the alarm are very loud. Pushing the upper right button toggles the display between the time and the day/date, and the month, date,year.The band is a resin band that is soft and so far comfortable. There is a hole at the end of the band and a bump inside the strap keeper. The hole at the end of the band fits into the bump on the strap keeper and keeps the strap keeper from moving around. This watch is the equivalent of the lower end Casio digital watches. If you like Armitron watches, need just a basic watch, the price of this one can't be beat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly priced, simple tool for telling time, November 1, 2012
Michael Mikulaninec (Orlando, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
Pros:
Price
Band is soft and comfortable
Big display easy to see
Water resistant so far
No need for instructions if you have a minimum of intelligence. Push a few buttons and you'll figure it out.

Cons:
Useless numerical markings around the bezel.
Viewing angle is not as wide as I would like. I have to turn my wrist a bit to see it or else I see all the segments regardless if they are active or not. Its a small point but it irritates me.

The "EL" lighting was not what I expected, but works fine. Basically only the active segments of the display are lit. If you can see what time it is, and push the light button, you wont see any difference. But if you can't see the time, and you push the button, you can read the time clearly. I was expecting the whole display to have a light from the side or something, but this gets the job done. Its not a wrist mounted light for emergency situations though, if that's what your looking for.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase but a little disappointed with the usable viewing angle.

One more thing you might find interesting is it shipped without a manual, and the box still had a Target department store price tag on the bottom for 14.99.

EDIT: Two years after purchasing it I have worn it every day and its still works. It has proved water proof for pool use. The alarm function is properly loud without being annoying. The case has resisted scratches much better than I expected it would. Twice it lost any display and when I pushed a button it reset to midnight. The band keeper broke and I replaced it with a piece of velcro. The display inside shifts over a tiny bit when I push a button. Overall excellent for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best alarm watch, October 17, 2010
In my line of work I need a ring every hour. This watch is great and audible!!! The alarm is loud and just what I need. Also very clear to see the time. For the money it beats most of my $300.00 watches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing cheap about this watch except for . . ., May 1, 2012
There's nothing cheap about this watch except for the price. I have a beautiful, elegant, lightweight and incredibly thin Skagen watch w/calendar. In addition, it has a silky smooth titanium mesh band. So why the downgrade to a "cheap" Armitron? For the first time in years, I can look at my wrist and instantly know the time and date. The clear conveyance of this basic information should probably be #1 and #2 in a watch's skill set. As much as I love the look and feel of my Skagen, time and date were secondary to "cool" when I bought it. Its black face, titanium hour indicators, and microscopic date window appealed to my less-is-more side. I'm an architect and for years I've put up with this triumph of style over substance. So now I'm a nerd/geek with an Armitron digital. So shoot me! I can now see the time and date without twisting my wrist side-to-side until I catch the light at just the right angle to read the darn thing.

Life, once again, is good.

Sleeping Where I Fall: A Chronicle
The Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Large, easy-to-see numbers, May 26, 2014
I've had Casio and other watches, and this is a little different, specifically the illumination (now bottom 4:00 position) and reset buttons (now upper 10:00 position) switched compared with the others. Not hard to figure out. No online PDF or downloadable directions for this specific watch to keep for posterity, but there are some generic directions for the 40/8 series that don't exactly match (mode sequence is different). However, these are good enough to save electronically and get the job done for anyone with a smidgen of intelligence and techieness.

Nice thing about this is I can make out the numbers without my glasses and see the timer when swimming laps and most specifically when doing my Tabata intervals. Note that when viewed from an angle greater than ~30 degrees, all the "background" stuff appears, so it may appear the alarm is on, hourly chime, etc, and it is almost impossible to make out the time. I note this for you; however is no problem whatsoever for me. Also, the illumination of the numbers when the EL button is pressed gives off essentially no light - it is only the numbers themselves that are highlighted. Which may be good or bad depending on your perspective.

As long as it doesn't leak like my Walmart 100m water resistance watch, I'll be very (very) happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Armitron Men's 408191 Black Sport Watch, October 10, 2012
This is an excellent product. Everthing best possible rating. Large easy readable display, lights-up for low light locations. Wrist band is very comfortable. This watch is a winner!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hourly Chime is too faint for me, April 19, 2013
I gave it 3 stars, but it is hard to rate.
It has good big digital characters, easy to read.
It has intelligible instructions; those who didn't find instructions may have just not found them, as they were hidden inside the plastic frame on which the watch comes. It took a few minutes to figure out how to open that center frame, but once figured out, I found instructions inside.

I bought this to get a watch that gave me a chime or alarm every hour. And this watch does so, but the chime is so faint that more times than not I do not hear it.
I am not as young as I used to be, but I would not be considered hard-of-hearing. Still, human ears get less sensitive to high pitches as life time increases. Children can hear high pitches that adults cannot hear at all. ¿Ever hear of the high-pitched ring tones on cell phones that kids can use (like in school) which adult teachers cannot hear, but kids can? What's it called, Angel Whisper ring tone? Maybe a 25 year old would hear the chime every hour -- I don't know; I haven't been 25 for a while.

The hourly chime is high pitched, & I can often hear it if in a silent room and expecting it. But going about my daily business, more hours than not today (first day of use), I did not hear the chime.

For $20 it is hard to complain. There is a $100 watch on Amazon that probably is louder. Still, I got it for a hourly chime purpose; so for me, I nearly wasted my money. I guess I'll spring for the $100 watch.

It does have an alarm, which may be louder, but it is only once a day I think. If you just want a watch, It does appear to be worth $20.
Of course for myself, I prefer a leather band to the plastic that comes with this one. But I doubt that this band will be easy to replace, as it looks peculiar to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable, easy to read and inexpensive- that's all i ..., August 14, 2014
lightweight, comfortable, easy to read and inexpensive- that's all i need in a watch. 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Beater, July 21, 2014
Pros:
Nice big (non-stupid looking) numbers. Good functionality at this price-point. Reverse lit numbers (characters light up, background stays dark). Perfect as a beater for me.

Cons:
Plastic crystal. To be expected at this price-point. I added some 2mil security film I got from a tint shop to keep the scratches down. Pretty much useless hash-marks around the bezel. Light is a little on the dim side.

Bottom line:
Good for what it is, a very usable, basic beater watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent looking watch at great price!, May 10, 2014
I wear this watch at work, has all the basic functionality,light weight and fairly big display.
I am very happy with the purchase.

Armitron Sport Men's 408191BLK Black Digital Chronograph Watch