Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Army of Darkness (Screwhead Edition) [Blu-ray]” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 54% off the $14.98 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Army of Darkness (Screwhead Edition) [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
1. The original DVD release-- was the original theatrical version of the movie with few extras. Good picture, good sound, S-Mart ending. If you just want to watch the best available version of the movie, you might get this one (if you can still find it; it's out of print now). It also has the familiar movie poster cover with an overly muscled Bruce and the hokey "Low on gas" slogan.
2. The director's cut-- with the silly Molly Hatchet cover and the original ending. There are many minuses: key lines are changed (not necessarily for the better). Much of the footage looks really horrible, including the entire concluding battle. All the deleted scenes have the feel of an eBay-purchased bootleg. Bottom line: AOD fans will like to see the material, but this is hardly the movie's best presentation. It's still circulating but they're not making any more of them.
3. The special edition-- probably the best DVD release of the movie to date. The 2 disc version (which, like the director's cut, is nearing the end of its availability) is great. It features both the watchable theatrical version and the borderline-unwatchable director's cut. It has commentary, unlike every other release, although the commentary is only available when viewing the director's cut. It has a making-of featurette.
The single disc version (now the primary version of AOD available) is only a slight downgrade; basically, it's the theatrical release, lookin' and soundin' fine, with the original ending as an extra, and the making of featurette also included.Read more ›
Having said that, I can't imagine why they are releasing yet another SE DVD set of it. I own the 2-disc Limited Edition which came out a few years ago. I can't find anything different about this new "Boomstick Edition" that isn't on the old Limited Edition. Both have the original theatrical release and the director's cut with 15 additional minutes of footage. Both have the Men Behind The Army featurette. Both have the Raimi, Campbell, Raimi commentary. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the Boomstick edition comes with some kind of 10 page collectible book which my LE set didn't have. But unless they made some drastic changes to either the video or audio to clear up imperfections which I never noticed in the first place, I couldn't justify buying this new edition. But if you don't yet own Army of Darkness, don't be a primitive screwhead. Click on the Buy It Now link and get it.
Ok, if you're on this page, there's a good chance you've already seen this movie and are torn between purchasing another copy or not.
If you already have the Bootleg Edition, or one of the many other editions of this film that have been released over the years, then you're probably going to feel jipped after you read this. Sorry.
Anyways, what this DVD set basically includes is two previously released DVDs in one package. Those being the standard edition and the Bootleg edition. Which, if you're looking to upgrade from your old VHS copy or something, it's a really good deal. Since buying the two DVDs seperately would cost a lot more than just buying this package. For the person who already has an AOD DVD I wouldn't recommend, unless you really want the directors cut version of it since you'd probably end up with two copies of the same DVD. But if you're a hardcore fanatic and are feeling like shelling out the asking price for the nifty new 8 page collectors booklet. Go for it. That's what I'm buying it for. The fact that the "Bootleg" edition didn't come with the theatrical ending is also a reason I'm purchasing this DVD set.
I give it five stars because...Well, it's a great film and though it may be a little late for a release like this, it's the thought that counts. Thanks Anchor Bay.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Fanstastic movie...got the limited edition for a quarter of the price of everyone else! They shipped it out in 2 days which waz even better! Read morePublished 5 days ago by Jeffrey johnston
A classic. Just showed my daughter it! Great memories of this movie.Published 11 days ago by Ray Mark Huang
Bruce Campbell is the BOM! I love this movie! I laugh every time I watch it, and hope that he'll keep making Evil Dead movies.Published 12 days ago by Freedom Cousins
Love this movie. This included both versions of the movie so if you like just the original its on here.Published 13 days ago by MoonlitWanderer
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|which edition to buy?||
Region 3 version Standard Dvd is the best but you must either have region free player of convert disc on computer to dvd-r. Best Quality by far and with the original ending as intended by Sam Raimi.
Sep 21, 2011 by Tbone | See all 3 posts
Regardless of your take on the video, the extras are lacking. Not even the commentary?? Come on, guys. Everyone sucks at releasing this movie.
Sep 16, 2009 by Ryan Agadoni | See all 9 posts
I agree that the evil dead trilogy is a must on blu-ray. I have Evil Dead 2 and am very upset to see that there may not be any others any time soon...if at all.
Dec 31, 2008 by Amazon Customer | See all 4 posts
|ultraviolet version?||Be the first to reply|
|Bonus features?||Be the first to reply|
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Cult Movies > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Cult Movies > Horror
- Movies & TV > Cult Movies > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Science Fiction & Fantasy