1,018 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The (once-)complete AOD DVD breakdown.
Confused by all the Army of Darkness DVD releases (some in print, some out of print, some lingering halfway between)? I know I was. But I've done some research and figured it out, and here's how it breaks down:

Published on July 23, 2001 by Eric D. Musall

3.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Army Of Darkness fans but newcomers beware.
This is a must for all you Army of Darkness fans that weren't able to buy the double DVD collectors edition. The Director's Cut contains over ten minutes of deleted scenes as well as an alternative ending. These deleted clips add depth to the film and explain more than the theatrical version. However, most of the clips tend to be lengthy and unnecessary.
After...
Published on July 7, 2000 by pick33

5.0 out of 5 stars The (once-)complete AOD DVD breakdown., July 23, 2001
This review is from: Army of Darkness (DVD)

1. The original DVD release-- was the original theatrical version of the movie with few extras. Good picture, good sound, S-Mart ending. If you just want to watch the best available version of the movie, you might get this one (if you can still find it; it's out of print now). It also has the familiar movie poster cover with an overly muscled Bruce and the hokey "Low on gas" slogan.

2. The director's cut-- with the silly Molly Hatchet cover and the original ending. There are many minuses: key lines are changed (not necessarily for the better). Much of the footage looks really horrible, including the entire concluding battle. All the deleted scenes have the feel of an eBay-purchased bootleg. Bottom line: AOD fans will like to see the material, but this is hardly the movie's best presentation. It's still circulating but they're not making any more of them.

3. The special edition-- probably the best DVD release of the movie to date. The 2 disc version (which, like the director's cut, is nearing the end of its availability) is great. It features both the watchable theatrical version and the borderline-unwatchable director's cut. It has commentary, unlike every other release, although the commentary is only available when viewing the director's cut. It has a making-of featurette.

The single disc version (now the primary version of AOD available) is only a slight downgrade; basically, it's the theatrical release, lookin' and soundin' fine, with the original ending as an extra, and the making of featurette also included. (The commentary is sadly missing.)

In summary: You can't go wrong with the single disc special edition or the even better double disc special edition. Avoid the director's cut unless you already own the original DVD and just want to see all the new footage in all its grainy glory. The original DVD is a fine purchase if you just wanna watch the movie, already.

2009 edit: to clear up some confusion in comments on this review, I wrote this eight long years ago. "Army" probably has five new DVD editions since then, and I'm sorry to report that I don't care enough to keep buying and comparing them. My experience so far has been that they keep releasing new versions with little regard for what people really want. In my eyes, a definitive version would be:

1. The main feature would be the theatrical version, fully restored and anamorphic.

2. Deleted scenes and the alternate ending would be cleaned up and well-presented as extras - I know this is possible because I own an Australian DVD of the movie that has them looking a lot cleaner than I've seen on all the older American versions. It would be also great if they had a menu option to watch the theatrical cut with some of the deleted scenes added back in - in particular the longer (and more cohesive) windmill battle with the mini-Bruces should never have been trimmed down; I'd love to see that in full as part of the movie. There's a cut that plays on some TV channel (AMC maybe?) that includes this scene, but unfortunately other parts are changed to their detriment - not a great trade-off. I think most fans of the movie prefer the original version of the movie - the S-mart ending, the original one-liners, etc. - but don't mind seeing some additional scenes thrown in.

3. Commentary, making-of featurette, etc. all included. The track record of this stuff on previous releases has been very spotty.

4. And finally do it right - put this version (probably a 2 DVD set) in print and get rid of the other ones, and KEEP it in print. Fans are tired of re-buying this movie just to find out that it's the same damn thing with a line or scene changed... if that. Let's tie a neat bow on this thing and be done with it. I'm as big a fan as they come and I stopped buying the new DVDs a couple versions ago.

2011 edit: Go to this page for a detailed look at all the notable Army DVD editions, including the ones I have not covered (be they Boomstick, Screwhead, or whatever else Anchor Bay/MGM/whoever has decided to foist upon this movie's beleaguered fanbase): [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Bootleg Edition?, October 31, 2001
By A Customer
Ok, for those who are wondering, this "bootleg" edition is simply the Director's Cut version without the Limited Edition numbers on it. Don't worry, it's not an illegal copy, more like an "Official Bootleg". It was done so that fans who missed out on the Limted Edition can still get the DVD and all the extra goodies. I for one am glad they did so because I happened to miss out on it myself. The cover is done as if someone made an illegal copie and used a brown paper back to cover up the liner. It has handwriting-like text on it in what appears to be a few notes from Bruce "Don't call me Ash" Campbell. The actual DVD inside is done up like a DVD-R (Not Really Recordable) and is very humorous. It contains the exact same movie and features of the LE in the exact same quality. The commentary from Sam, Bruce, and Ivan is hilarious as was their commentary from the other Evil Dead DVDs. That in combination with the deleted scenes and the original ending make this a must have for those who want the whole story. This is the version of the movie that was originally done before they were forced to shorten it to 81 minutes and alter the ending. So if you missed out on the Limited Edition DVD then this is for you. This is definatly one for the fans out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, but another SE DVD?, January 27, 2003
Linquel (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
For the sake of clarity, I just want to say that there is no way I could review any version of Army of Darkness without giving it five stars. It is a modern classic which I can watch over and over again. Seeing the Tiny Evil Ashes take on Ash causes me to laugh out loud with every "My fair lady."
Having said that, I can't imagine why they are releasing yet another SE DVD set of it. I own the 2-disc Limited Edition which came out a few years ago. I can't find anything different about this new "Boomstick Edition" that isn't on the old Limited Edition. Both have the original theatrical release and the director's cut with 15 additional minutes of footage. Both have the Men Behind The Army featurette. Both have the Raimi, Campbell, Raimi commentary. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the Boomstick edition comes with some kind of 10 page collectible book which my LE set didn't have. But unless they made some drastic changes to either the video or audio to clear up imperfections which I never noticed in the first place, I couldn't justify buying this new edition. But if you don't yet own Army of Darkness, don't be a primitive screwhead. Click on the Buy It Now link and get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boomstick Edition, February 19, 2003
"def_" (Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
*THIS REVIEW IS IN REFERENCE TO THE NEW "BOOMSTICK EDITION" TWO DISK SET*
Ok, if you're on this page, there's a good chance you've already seen this movie and are torn between purchasing another copy or not.
If you already have the Bootleg Edition, or one of the many other editions of this film that have been released over the years, then you're probably going to feel jipped after you read this. Sorry.
Anyways, what this DVD set basically includes is two previously released DVDs in one package. Those being the standard edition and the Bootleg edition. Which, if you're looking to upgrade from your old VHS copy or something, it's a really good deal. Since buying the two DVDs seperately would cost a lot more than just buying this package. For the person who already has an AOD DVD I wouldn't recommend, unless you really want the directors cut version of it since you'd probably end up with two copies of the same DVD. But if you're a hardcore fanatic and are feeling like shelling out the asking price for the nifty new 8 page collectors booklet. Go for it. That's what I'm buying it for. The fact that the "Bootleg" edition didn't come with the theatrical ending is also a reason I'm purchasing this DVD set.
I give it five stars because...Well, it's a great film and though it may be a little late for a release like this, it's the thought that counts. Thanks Anchor Bay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Army of Darkness SCREWHEAD EDITION, January 10, 2011
This is a review for the Screwhead Edition. First off, I'll start with the cons, and this is about the physical disk release, not the movie itself.

I do think that it's not really anything special to warrant a new edition name. How many editions are there already that have creative names(Boomstick, Bootleg, etc.) slapped on them? If this is just a simple reissue of Army of Darkness for 2010, without any bells and whistles (which it is), then I think it should be better just released as "Army of Darkness". Simply put, if your looking for an updated release of this classic, that provides ample extras, and some fresh new ground that hasn't been covered before, you may be disappointed. There is a measly three extras on the disc, a feature called "Creating the Deadites" which I've read is new, so I guess that counts for something. It's just about deadites though. There are no other extras from the other discs, or even commentary. There's a trailer. Then, there is the alternate ending. Again, if you've already seen that ending like, 2000 times already you may be hard pressed to care. I guess this release is best for people who haven't seen Army of Darkness before, or people who never had any of the other dvds. I bought it because of that, and it was the latest release. But still, for a new "edition" they sure did skimp, and didn't even have a printed photo art on the disk, just red ink of the logo. Not a huge deal, if you just want to watch the movie but...I think that a movie that has become classic and loved by so many people, should get a better new release than this. Maybe some kind of anniversary release, like I see so many other movies get. But I guess it's the rights issues that might hinder that, and lord that's just too much to get into. Also: Clear indication of something "thrown together" and cheaply released for marketing. "From the director of Spider-Man and Drag Me To Hell" is slapped on the cover. Uggh.

Now the pros: Movie is great, I really enjoy it. Although: I'm not generally a fan of slapstick, it's entertaining, but it takes a lot to make me really laugh. That kind of humor for me is ok, and overall if I had to pick the the things that I most liked about this movie, that wouldn't be one of them. What I do like, is fantasy adventure, weapons, medieval time setting; great actors, awesome characters (Ash is the best), etc. all of which this has. So,"Thumbs up" for this one :)

Picture on the disc is really good. Colors are nice. Sound is good. It was remastered, so it's nice enough just to watch and enjoy. As far as that, no complaints.

I'm happy to say that I am happy with this disk. If you are the kind of person that wants a more "complete" edition, then you might want to check the other releases for that, but if you're like me, and don't really care about extra features and the like, then you will be happy with this quality presentation of the movie. ENJOY :D

3.0 out of 5 stars A must for all Army Of Darkness fans but newcomers beware., July 7, 2000
After watching the director's cut I now see spots in the theatrical version that weren't explained entirely. The windmill scene is the best example. With the Director's Cut we can now understand why Ash's face is all of a sudden covered with soot, and why he runs into the mirror, an event most don't question that is poorly explained in the theatrical version. There is a lot going on in the Director's Cut that was deleted, upon request by the production company, to shorten the film. Just watch and you'll know what I mean.
The biggest discretion I have against this version of Army Of Darkness is the ending. It has absolutely no resolve. The theatrical version shows Ash back in S-Mart battling the evils of the Necronomicon due to his failure once again to repeat the words "Klatu-Verata-Nicto". This rounds off the film and on top is one of the most humorous scenes. The Director's Cut ending also shows Ash's failure to follow directions, but this time his miscounting the drops of a potion is what changes his trip back to present time. Some of you die hard Army Of Darkness fans will enjoy this ending, but newcomers I urge to buy the theatrical version.
Over all the film is enjoyable and educational. However, the ideas to cut down the film's length and to change the ending were good requests. A lot of the deleted clips are unnecessary and only add length. This is why the theatrical version is a better film, but to you fanatics out there who want too see every second of deleted material the Director's Cut is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't get any better than this!, December 5, 1999
Mark Lahren (Bismarck, North Dakota USA) - See all my reviews
This movie is entertainment in its purest form. Brilliant in every aspect, with amazing attention to technical detail. The DVD Limited Edition in my opinion is well worth the extra money. It's quite easy to watch the director's cut, and then immediately watch it again with Raimi's and Campbell's commentary turned on. The behind-the-scenes comments are just about as entertaining as the movie itself. As to the movie, there is never a dull moment here. All action scenes are full of completely satisfying moments punctuated by sharp wit. Campbell plays his part with gusto, as does everyone else. Campbell is one of the most fun actors to watch that there is. I can't believe I have not seen this movie until 1998 on cable. Where was I when it was at the theaters? This is third in the 'Evil Dead' series, and I sincerely hope there will be a fourth!

4.0 out of 5 stars AOD Director's Cut isn't as bad as it's made out to be., August 31, 2000
Kurt G Wurmser (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Having been a diehard Evil Dead/AOD fan (I saw Evil Dead in the movie theaters as a kid), I was willing to fork over for the Director's Cut when I recently bought a DVD player. I didn't have the theatrical version on DVD, but I did have a VHS copy. I do have both versions now.
The quality problems just don't seem that obvious to me. Didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie at all. The Director's Cut contains 15 minutes of extra footage, but doesn't state where they are (mostly the windmill scene). My only real complaints with the movie are:
1) Does not contain the S-Mart ending. Considering the Theatrical version contains the alternate ending, this was a real blunder. It's a DVD, guys, there's plenty of room for that stuff, and I expect a limited-edition Director's Cut to contain lots of goodies.
2) Doesn't make it easy to find out where the 'new' footage is. I'm an AOD fan, but I do have a full-time job, and simply can't afford to sit there and memorize the movie backwards and forwards.
That said -- I was happy with it. I do have some questions as to why Raimi made the changes that he did for the Director's Cut version. (The windmill scene could've been cut for length, I can buy that. But why, why, why, would he change out 'Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun' for a throwaway line like "I ain't that good" in the director's cut? The line in the theatrical version is much more memorable and cooler. I thought the special effects featurette was cool as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Screwhead Edition -best viewing experience. Ever., September 28, 2009
This review is from: Army of Darkness (Screwhead Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's hard to say no to another edition of Sam Raimi's comedy/horror cult classic, Army of Darkness. The brand new Screwhead Edition is the film's first release on Blu-ray.

Army of Darkness is the sequel to the comedy/horror classic Evil Dead II and continues the adventures of Ash (Bruce Campbell). After discovering a great evil in the wood and being attacked by a wild (yet quirky) horde of undead (and even having to kill his possessed girlfriend), Ash is dropped into medieval England, where he finds that he evil he experienced in his own time is gaining strength in the Middle Ages. In order to get back home, Ash strikes a deal with the locals, where he must venture into a creepy cemetery and retrieve the Necronomicon.

Unfortunately, the recovery mission doesn't go as smoothly as planned, and Ash unleashes the forces of the dead. In order to fix his mistake, get back to his own time, and save his medieval girlfriend, Ash teams up with a group of medieval screwheads -- complete with epic one-liners, boomsticks (retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety-five... shop smart, shop S-Mart), gory she-bitches, chainsaws, and corny special effects filled with awesome.

The picture quality here is phenomenal. It is so crisp and clear -- the light colors have absolutely no blemishes, and the dark colors are deep and true. I've never seen this movie presented with such perfect picture and sound quality. This version makes all previous editions, even the DVD edition, look gritty and low quality by comparison. The picture is so clear that it emphasizes how corny the special effects are -- which I think adds to the overall experience of the film and keeps it true to Raimi's original intent.

I was particularly impressed by the sound quality. I felt like I was completely enveloped in the universe of Army of Darkness. Danny Elfman's "March of the Dead" theme has never had the same kind of power and pure epic sound to it than in this release. I could see the speakers shaking with intensity at nearly every note. It was the most amazing Army of Darkness viewing experience I have ever had. With a 1080p high-definition presentation in 1.85:1 widescreen and master audio in 5.1 surround sound, it's easy to see why. There are even Spanish and French subtitles available.

However, I was very disappointed in the selection of bonus material here. While viewers do have the option to turn on interactive production stills during the movie, which is kind of fun, there's not much else. Viewers have the opportunity to go online and get other film information, but it's not very complete (and frankly, this involves too much effort). The disk includes the alternate ending, the theatrical trailer, and a feature on the creation of the "deadite" special effects. The feature is really interesting and includes some great interviews with special effects experts and some hilarious and informative footage from the original filming. It's really interesting to see all of this, but I would have liked to have seen more of the original footage since some of it has obviously survived. There aren't even interviews with Sam Raimi or Bruce Campbell here. Some fans may think that this would be unneeded because they have talked about Army of Darkness so many times, but if I'm going to plop down extra money for this Blu-ray, I would have liked to have more.

It's difficult to say whether or not the Blu-ray edition of Army of Darkness is worth it, especially with so many other editions out there. If you are looking for flawless video and audio quality, then the Blu-ray is the perfect choice, but if you want bonus features, the items available here are practically the same as the others out there. Despite the lack of additional material, I couldn't help but stare in awe at how gorgeous this movie looks.

4.0 out of 5 stars "This is my BOOMSTICK!!!", June 6, 2002
This review is from: Army of Darkness (DVD)
Buyer beware: there are so many different versions of Army of Darkness on video and DVD that you have to be careful which one you buy. If you want the best version, get the regular edition (not the director's cut, bootleg version, or special edition) if you want the full tilt comic blast that is Army of Darkness. The other versions with alternate endings cut out most of Ash's great one liners, so be careful! Now onto the movie; Army of Darkness finds Ash in midevil times after being transported there at the end of Evil Dead 2. While there, he must find the Necronomicon to get back home, and stop an entire army of the undead being led by his devilish alter ego Evil Ash. While its not as scary, bloody, or gorey as Evil Dead 1&2, Army of Darkness sacrifices all that for some Three Stooges-esque slapstick comedy, and a display and tribute of sorts to Ray Harryhausen's stop motion animation techniques of years ago. While its not on the same level of overall greatness as Evil Dead 1&2, Army of Darkness is a fitting ending to the Evil Dead series, and you'll laugh an awful lot from beginning to end.

Army of Darkness (Screwhead Edition) [Blu-ray]