5.0 out of 5 stars Wives is the female side of Miltary Life
Someone said the women are what is left behind when men go to war. If this is so, Army Wives is a great examples of the homefront.

Published on April 22, 2008 by Bennet Pomerantz

2.0 out of 5 stars No (Wo)man's Army
The stories while engaging, DO NOT AT ALL reflect Army lifestyle. I was intrigued to watch all of Season One, but I've spent 2 years in the Army myself and 26 years as an Army wife, and this show is not at all realistic. For good reasons, fficer and enlisted wives do not have close relationships, and enlisted and officer's wives have their own social networks and would...
Published on January 17, 2009 by Mary Wild

5.0 out of 5 stars Wives is the female side of Miltary Life, April 22, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)

I watched the whole first season on demand cable, since my advance copy of the DVD was not available yet. I was amazed with the depth of the storytelling of this series. These 13 episodes were not soap opera-ish, as I thought they might be. What annoys me is such shows like the Unit which touches the same subject matter and I have seen weaken by the way they tell the story in their show. You wont find that here, the show is told with a female point of view. However The storylines seem real as if the screenwriters have written and lived it!

The cast lead by Catherine Bell and Kim Delaney makes this cast cook in a way I have not seen a cast mesh together this well in a long time.

This is good television. I only wish it was more than 13 episodes. But in these 13 episodes is a class act.

I cant wait until June for the second season

Bennet Pomerantz AUDIOWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than I would have expected!, June 29, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
I am a conservative, pro military and a former US Navy sailor. When my wife first introduced me to Army Wives, I was immediately suspicious. My experience with Lifetime network is that most shows have a liberal theme, man bash or other aspect that I don't care for. Army Wives was a VERY pleasant surprise. The show deals, in my opinion, very realisticly with military life. There is no political theme to this. It is not out to bash the military or even any politicians.
As a conservative and veteran, I would recommend this show to any and all to watch whether you are liberal, conservative, middle of the road, etc. The show is not a political statement, it is a well done drama that deserves the positive attention it is getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Army Wives is the best show!!!, April 12, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
Army Wives was named one of the top 10 shows of 2007 for a reason. The show is extremely well written and has an awesome ensemble cast!! For those who are JAG fans (like myself) you will get to see Catherine Bell (Mac of JAG). CB and everyone on the show do a beautiful job of depicting life for military spouses. It does have alot of drama but it also has very humorous parts as well. The season 1 cliffhanger will have you shaking your heads and therefore make you long for season 2 to start!!! The Season 1 DVD has alot of extras, such as behind the scenes and outakes. AW is well worth buying!!! You will not be disappointed!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A show about family, friends, and the military, July 6, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
Army Wives is the story of a group of four soldiers' wives and one soldier's husband located at Fort Marshall in South Carolina. This series is based on the book of the same title by Tanya Biank, Army Wives: The Unwritten Code of Military Marriage.

The series begins with Roxy, a smart-mouthed bartender who decides to marry private first class Trevor LeBlanc only a week after their courtship begins. Roxy has two kids by two different fathers and Trevor offers her stability, love, and a real family. She also knows nothing about the Army and is used to taking care of herself. Watching Roxy learn the trials and tribulations that come with being an army wife gives civilians who have no idea about it an insider's look. Then there are the more established wives like Claudia Joy Holden, whose husband is one of the highest ranking officers on post. He has also recently been overlooked for a position because one of the other wives called him a racist--something Claudia Joy won't take lying down. Also, there's Denise Sherwood, a sweet, kind woman whose teenage son often takes advantage of his mother's kind nature. Denise's husband is a major and he's overseas more than at home, but their marriage seems solid. And finally there's Pamela Moran, an ex-cop whose husband is in special ops. Pamela is heavily pregnant at the beginning of the series and we learn that it's because she's a surrogate who needs the money to get her family out of debt. The only army husband on the show, Roland Burton, is a psychiatrist specializing in post-traumatic stress. His wife is one of the highest ranking women on post. This ragtag bunch of "army wives" makes friends with one another despite their spouses' ranks, their own backgrounds, and their differences. They accept one another and the responsibility that comes with supporting the soldiers they're married to.

When I first started watching this show, I'll admit it was because I think that most things on Lifetime are a train wreck and I wanted to see the carnage. But this show is surprisingly good for the network that gave us such hits as Death of a Cheerleader (True Stories Collection TV Movie) and Sex & The Single Mom. Army Wives is touching, dramatic, and entertaining. This is a story about real women, real marriages, and real lives that only happens to be airing on Lifetime. These characters go through everyday situations with the added pressure of having their actions put under the microscope because of their husband's or wife's profession. They have all the normal problems that regular marriages do: slow sex drives, thoughts of adultery, working outside the home, troubled children, they just have to do it under more intense scrutiny. I urge everyone to give this series a chance rather than just shrugging it off because it's on Lifetime. I'm certainly glad that I did. Army Wives has the girl talk from a show like Sex and the City with the drama of a series like Law and Order and manages to blend the two into a fun, heartening series that anyone can enjoy. I look forward to watching season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Army Wives Season 1 - AMAZING!, April 21, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
This show is amazing. It's a little unrealistic in some respects (as far as the military goes), but other than that - it's fantastic! It's Desperate Housewives meets JAG - it's funny, emotionally heart-wrenching, and touching all at the same time. Once you watch it, you'll laugh, you'll cry...and you'll want to buy the DVDs! You wont regret buying this DVD set - it's entertaining and also gives you insight into some aspects of military life. If I could give it more stars, I would!

5.0 out of 5 stars Army Wives Season One on DVD, March 31, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
A fantastic ensemble cast. The characters are all likable and complex in their own way. One of the best cliffhangers I've seen in years. I think this is one of the best shows on TV at the moment and can't wait for Season 2. Nice to have some extras on the set also, rather than just the episodes. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a guy who likes Army Wives, October 15, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
While the first season was airing, I saw previews for Army Wives and laughed. No way was I going to watch that show. Well, my fiance had me watch an episode at the beginning of season 2. I thought I would watch, not expecting to like it. Then I watched another episode, then another. I was hooked quickly. This show keeps conflict and interest in the characters high. I had to buy season 1 on DVD so I could fill in the gaps with all the characters. This DVD set is really good. I can't wait to buy season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars High 5 for "Army Wives", April 7, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
I love this show! I was a bit weary about it at first, but after watching one episode I was hooked. It may be a cliche lifetime genre seires, but it's definately worth watching!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you start watching, you can't stop..., October 18, 2008
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
I bought this series cause a friend recommended it to me. And let me tell you she was completely right when she told me I was going to become an addict to it.
Being a Army Wife myself, I have to recognize that there are certain things in the script that are a little bit different from the real Army Life and the Army Policies, Procedures and way to handle things. Anyway we all know it's all been adapted with purposes of entertainment. We all know that right? But on the other side, I think that the main message is clear and successfully delivered. Be and Army Wife is a though hard job! We marry a soldier = we marry the Military. It requires unexplainable amounts of sacrifices, we have to live and accept plenty of unexpected experiences and move on just for one worth cause... The LOVE for our Service Member. And that message is definetly in this Series with this awesome cast which whom we can easily identify ourselves. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll feel anger, frustration, fear... It really appeals to the emotions of the audience. It's doesn't matter if you are an Army wife or not, you will love this series and once you finish, you'll want more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Immediately hooked, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Army Wives: Season 1 (DVD)
This series grabbed my attention from the first show. I had not discovered it on cable and found it when I was looking for shows with Catherine Bell from the discontinued JAG series. I've watched the first and third season and will purchase the rest of the seasons. One of my close friends is a military wife of a high ranking officer and through the years I've heard her say many of the things the wives on this series say. The expectations of her children are very similar to the children on this series. It has made many of the things I've wondered about with my friend so much clearer. I can only assume that the writers have a pretty good understanding of military life.

My only concern at this point is that it has the feel of an upgraded soap opera, which I don't like, but the shows are entertaining and seem to reflect what must be some authenticity of military life. I find it remarkable that so many main characters have lasted so long on one show. I understand that in the 2012 season one of the wives will be leaving. As I said earlier I will buy all the seasons and thoroughly enjoy watching the shows.

Army Wives: Season 1
Army Wives: Season 1 by Kim Delaney (DVD - 2008)
$20.00 $14.91