5.0 out of 5 stars Got guitar? Get Guitar Pro 6. (Don't make me hurt you!)
Published on August 24, 2010 by Greg Rebuck

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I have used Guitar Pro Since GP4. I upgraded to 5, which had stability issues (a dialogue box in French opening about 100 instances telling me that there was an exception at a memory address) and that issue is gone in 6.

1) It is way harder to figure out, less intuitive, than version 5/4.
2) It seems to have less options, but it does have some effects,...
Published 13 months ago by stellar92010

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 7, 2013
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)

1) It is way harder to figure out, less intuitive, than version 5/4.
2) It seems to have less options, but it does have some effects, etc.
3) The layout is a space hog.
4) it is unfriendly with soft synths, particularily emulator x3. It likes to suddenly freeze and stop playback; I think I have associated that with 'autosave'
5) Using RSE, sometimes notes wont sound????? For example, 2 snare hits with 2 quarter notes, as a triplet feel, and the second one won't sound.
6) No options to set up the audio. I have an advanced audio system, and I can't find where to set sample rate, etc.

7) Where are the bar cut/paste options like in GP5, where you could select how many bars to copy/cut or paste?
8) Where did the easy to use mix table go to????
9) How come I can't get tablature with a piano grand staff?

I don't like using the RSE because I have a lot of expensive samples. However, The drumkit in the RSE sounds very good--that's the best feature of it. For the rest, i would prefer to use my soft synths. But when you are moving happily along then suddenly--bang! Exception, blue screen of death, all my work down the crapper--I am paranoid to use soft synths.

10) Oddball errors when updating--first, it failed to update the banks, I wasted a lot of time downloading them, then it said--get this--my USER ID and Key was incorrect. It showed them on the screen, and they are exactly the same ones on the product! But I could still use it.

11) The guitar tuner doesnt work.
12) Did I tell you it crashes randomly?
13) Setting up a midi channel is hidden so you have to search to find it.
14) Did I tell you it crashes randomly.....

I guess you get my point. I am waiting for GP7. However, I will download it and trial it, and, if it is as buggy as this, I'm going to use something else. It's a shame, because GP has some useful funcionality. But GP6 has been out for 3years, and it STILL riddled with bugs, and plagued by instability?

Arobas, get your act together. You could have a superior product if you take the finger out.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Step Backwards From v5, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
I've always kind of liked this program. As a way of saving your own transcriptions it was a solid editor. And in playing its own formats as well as those in Power Tab it was a much friendlier interface than most. The transcriptions for my Truefire courses always come in Power Tab (open format, free player) but I would use Guitar Pro to run them since the interface was much more user friendly.

Along comes version 6, and I upgrade. Lo and behold, the ability to import and play a Power Tab file is now crippled. It may import, but if it does, the odds are pretty good it won't play properly. And before you get ready to reply, "It imports and plays for me," take a deep breath and listen to what you are getting. A/B it with what comes out of GP 5 and you will see what I mean. Oh, and you couldn't do this in the trial version so there was no way of knowing that this had happened. There are a number of users on the Arobas forum who actually think these files are supposed to sound like this. Also note that for some reason, some GP 5 files (or from versions before that) don't even import correctly, although I haven't yet figured out what causes that for one but not the other. Incremental/fix version used for transcription/save maybe.

The workaround for these woes, if you have an up to date copy of GP 5, is to import it into that, save it in the Guitar Pro format, and then read it into GP 6. BTW, I figured that out myself - they were absolutely no help in coming up with it. And it's instructive that when the first complaints came out, their initial response was hostility first and silence afterward. At this stage they have barely acknowledged it, and only recently have made some statements to the effect that they will work on "improving" Power Tab support. Although this is also close to their beginning work on GP 7 so it's even money whether they will wind up making you buy the upgrade to get the fix.

From the perspective of using it as an editor, it was improved. But a lot of the features added offer me no particular value. I don't care much about the multitude of improved, but nevertheless fake sounding instruments, or support for accidentals. So for me this wasn't a worthwhile upgrade, and it's a pretty safe bet I won't be doing any upgrades to 7 until it's been out for a while, I'm satisfied it isn't broken somewhere else and that it actually has some new feature I consider worthwhile. Not holding my breath though. I have not experienced a lot of the crash issues, but since I don't use a lot of the sound crap that's probably not unusual. Those issues ARE there though, and it appears that this may be one of the reasons they aren't fixing the the PT support from reading between the lines in the forum comments.

So in short, if you are thinking about getting this so you can play all those free tabs sitting out there in multiple formats, you might want to take a pass or try to find a copy of Guitar Pro 5 sitting around. Or if you own GP 5 and don't mind doing double work, just go that import/save route if you want the new stuff (better editor but that's about it for me). And also be aware that if you download a tab from and older version like 3 or 4 you might not be able to use it either, at least not if GP 6 is your first purchase.

The interface IS nicer than Power Tab. If you don't have GP 5 my own suggestion would be to just stay with that, and spend the money on some transcription software like Transcribe! or Amazing Slow Downer and figure the thing out yourself if you are buying this as a learning tool. If you are a creating your own, feel free to take the jump but keep the stability issues in mind. In a world of Guitar Hero, does anybody even still look at tab any more anyway?

5.0 out of 5 stars Got guitar? Get Guitar Pro 6. (Don't make me hurt you!), August 24, 2010
Greg Rebuck "Greg Rebuck" (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
Hey music lubbers. I wanted to write this review anyway but even more so that GP6 has received some tough criticism. Much of the dissatisfaction is from owners of previous versions of Guitar Pro. Since I'm new to the product I have a different perspective, one not colored by certain expectations. By the way, I'm also a software developer so I can add that to the equation as well.

From my "dual point-of-view" GP6 is both a great musical tool and a well-done piece of software. The slams it's gotten for being unresponsive, hard to use, buggy, etc. are a bit exaggerated. I believe those who have trouble with it don't have computers with the required firepower; it does ask for a fairly modern machine and it's not kidding! Though I've had it crash a few times, this is certainly no worse than Firefox; moreover, the program does very frequent updates that happen hemidemisemi-automatically.

It has a rich and satisfying palette of tools for painting your musical masterpiece. It has a plethora (oh yes El Guapo...a plethora!) of RSE2 instruments to fill up your canvas. Some of them sound great (fine oil paint), some are "good enough" (acrylics) and some are like throwing a crayon into the dryer (uh, don't try this!) Strangely, the best sounding ones are guitars and similar stringed instruments; oh wait, this is *Guitar* Pro, not Bassoon Hero!

I also love the effects/amps you can use to shade and enrich your tableau. They really make a dramatic difference to the sound, just as they do in the real world. You can try out effects you don't quite understand instead of "Daddy, what does a phaser do?" "Well son, it's used to kill Klingons." Yeah, dad's a trekkie, not a musician.

You probably already know that there are thousands of GP-based tab/chord downloads out there; unfortunately, it's hard to find sites that use the new .gpx format at this time. Regardless, GP6 can import all of its predecessor formats and others such as Power Tab. It also does a nice job with many ASCII tab files, which surprised me somewhat.

As nice as all of these features are, composition/playback is the heart of the package. Let's just keep it simple here. You can represent just about any musical notation and the scores are easy to manipulate. You'd likely go bonkers trying to figure out how many possible built-in scales there are, and what each term means; learn Latin and Italian if you really want to know what these are (c'mon, you really just wanna impress chicks--I know you!) The playback will let you set each track individually so you can use it for backing while you play...say...your bagpipes. And if you want to input via something other than a computer keyboard, voila, summon the useful (albeit slightly hokey) virtual fretboard/keyboard. Better yet, attach a MIDI piano/synth and do a live 'captcha'.

Anyway, you can find all of this out yourself, I'm just letting you know what I find impressive about Guitar Pro 6. Get a copy and let's all paint some great scores together!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashes, May 9, 2013
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
I truly wish that I could give this program 5 stars but I have recently had guitar pro 6 crash on me for the nth time and it's sent me over the edge to write a scathing review.

This program is great, for the most part. Unfortunately it's glitchy, crashes and the customer support from Arobas is abysmal. Shame on all of you!!

I'm really just extremely mad right now. When you work for dozens of hours scoring out pieces and the program crashes for NO REASON and will not allow you to access the file you can become a bit resentful. It doesn't matter how much I've saved, if GP6 doesn't want to have a file anymore then I can never get it back. And don't go to Arobas if you need help. You'll be lucky if they even ever get back to you.

1.0 out of 5 stars absolutely no worthwhile support available, June 26, 2012
desertrat "dpearcy4" (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
I've never written a negative review of a product, but I've wasted an entire evening trying to get this to run on my new Win 7 computer with no success. I've used the product for a while on XP and was able to make it work. It does not appear to function at all on Win 7 and there is absolutely no way to contact support to resolve the issue. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY IF YOU RUN WIN 7!

1.0 out of 5 stars Customer Support Nonexistent, July 30, 2013
Jake Wilson (Novato, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
There seems to be minimal investment in customer support. When consumers buy your product, there is an implicit, unsaid understanding that we are buying a product that will actually work. In the case of Guitar Pro 6, I found that it was not installing on my computer, and so I contacted customer support... numerous times and to no avail. My attempts to contact them have gone ignored, and now I am here writing my first negative review. This kind of treatment of a paying customer is unacceptable, but apparently they do not care. Learn from my mistakes and stay away from this company. Now where did I put that receipt?

2.0 out of 5 stars Great program, or would be...., May 3, 2012
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
I bought GP6 about 5 months ago, at first I was skeptical, as I used GP5 a lot. The reviews I had read from others switching to it claimed it was different than other systems in the past. I got used to the new system very quickly, however, and was impressed with many of the new features, there were a few things taken out, like having a clean and dist guitar on 1 track, but it seemed to be an improvement. Over time I began to notice how unstable the program is. If you have a song that is to long, the program begins to move extremely slow, to the point its practically unusable. I must state that I have a powerful computer, its not a 512mb ram piece of junk. The drum writing system is different as well, its better once you get used to it, but its just laggy even when you are working on something new.

The most annoying thing about this program is that it crashes all the time. I don't mind occasional crashes, I can just open the program right up, as the start time is short. But it loves to crash when its saving, which just so happens to corrupt you file and it can NEVER be restored. I did find an option to create auto backups in the menu, but I wouldn't trust that myself. I'm sure Arobas found some way to screw that up too. The point is from what I've used of the program, it feels like they didn't even bother to check this thing for bugs... I mean it just awful. This would be the most awesome tab program on the market if they had tried to debug this.

I would suggest anyone who is looking to buy this program to just go back to 5 or buy it. Either that or get used to making lots of backup files.

eMedia GuitarPro 5.1 Win/Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues and I like it a lot so far, January 29, 2011
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
I am reviewing Guitar Pro 6. I just received this and used it once today, for the first time. I previously tried a sample of Guitar Pro 5 and was not impressed enough to buy it. If I recall, it may have been buggy but its been a long time. This was not the case with Guitr Pro 6. Here's my experience, after one day:

The product package shows some product capabilities, which is good because there is nothing in the box but the disk and a single small sheet with the Serial number and basic install info. A getting started guide would have been nice. Or I guess I can go to their website and see what's there!

I installed this on a Desktop PC with an Intel Core 2 Quad processor running Vista 64-bit O/S. My monitor is a 22" flatscreen in a high resolution setting (relevant to the viewing experience)

The software installed quickly and easily with no issues. (+10 points, and job 1 for any software.)

I play both guitar and bass, and I used it today to do some Bass notation. It was much easier and more intuitive to setup and run with than Finale Notepad 2008, which I have been using for notation.

Without any instruction I was able to quickly figure out how to set up an electric bass staff and tab, and start entering music. It was quick and easy to figure out how to change to 6/4 time for some arpeggios I was notating. I was able to move bars and sections around, copy and move things, add note names under notes (as lyrics) and adjust how many bars appear on a line. The ability to include both left and right hand fingering is great and was fairly efficient to enter by comparison to my experience with notepad.

I played around with changing the room sounds for reverb, the amp, and some effects. Nice addition that I will explore more with guitar notation next time I sit down and play with this.

Overall, I found the note entry much faster and easier than using Finale and the interface more intuitive. Being able to enter notation FAST is the most important thing, as I want to spend my time playing. Using a full keyboard with a number pad and 4 arrows keys, and entering tab notation, allowing the standard notation to appear automatically, I was able to key in a 2 page set of exercises very quickly. The playback and the looper and trainer functions are nice. There is a guitar chord chart capability although I didn't actually use it to notate chords on the bass piece, I messed around with it and can see it being useful when I get to guitar parts instead of bass lines.

I have not fully explored the product yet, but to perform the basic function I bought this for, which was fast and easy standard + tab notation, it worked great. With the trainer function and looper function plus the notation capability, well worth the price ($50).

I have a midi cable on the way to try to connect a midi keyboard (and if that works, maybe get a midi guitar) and am hopeful that will be another cool upgrade in my capabilities.

I will try to update this review with further insights as my experience develops.

I've used quite a few guitar software tools and I would say this is one that every guitar player should probably buy. If you're on the fence, visit their website and download a trial version first for free and see if you like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Registration, May 16, 2013
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
So here's the deal. I'm at a location where internet is poor at best. The product comes with two separate registration keys but still won't run until I can get online. There is even an "offline" registration....which requires you to find another computer that is online to complete the registration and then copy a 40 digit key code before Guitar Pro 6 will run. I think the product is okay but I really don't know because I haven't been able to do all of that.
Ridiculous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for guitar players, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Guitar Pro 6 (DVD-ROM)
I'm a big fan of this program. I play here and there and love learning new songs. There are a lot of sites out there with guitar pro files you can load into this program. You can then assign guitar sounds and effects to the songs to make the realistic. You can also assign sounds to drums, bass, etc. This is a very nice part of the program.

I also write a little and found guitar pro to be a very easy to use song writing tool for guitar parts. It seems very intuitive and the button layout all makes sense.

I'm on a Mac and didn't have any issues installing or running the program. It really has the feel and elegance of a Mac program.

Guitar Pro 6
Guitar Pro 6 by eMedia (Linux, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger / 10.5 Leopard / 10.6 Snow Leopard, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$59.95 $48.03