1,218

on December 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
Although always learning, I'm pretty skilled in the kitchen and, with a ten-burner stove you might say I'm a bit overboard. One of the skills that's eluded me is making outstanding rice, especially as I try to cook with a wide variety of rice. About 70% of the time it came out well but there was a 30% failure rate -- usually from being distracted with other things.

For the past few years, I've been interested in a rice cooker. Naturally, there are those expensive ones appealing to a certain segment of the population but, for me the technology of the rice cooker seemed simple enough. Being satisfied with another Aroma appliance, a twin-basket deep fryer, I felt emboldened to purchase their rice cooker (I also knew it comes with Amazon's iron-clad guarantee).

I expect the $200+ cookers come with a nicely printed color brochure, but using this is so straghtforward that we can dispense with the glossy photos of ecstatic models. In truth, this has all the bells and whistles of the expensive ones. Most important seems to be the 'fuzzy logic' that drives the timing. It's only natural that i should be somewhat fuzzy about what Fuzzy Logic is but here's my take on it. Somehow, the machine figures out the perfect cooking time for the particular type of rice you are cooking.

There is a difference between the cooking of jasmine, basmati, gold canilla and short-grain sticky rice. Evidently, the fuzzy logic chip figures this out and all I needed to do was put in the rice (pre-washed, as I always do it) and the water, close it up, turn it on and press the White Rice button. It beeps when ready and will hold the rice at an ideal heat for hours after, so there's none of the last minute rushing. Hot, perfectly cooked rice is there when you need it.

And trust me, the rice is always PERFECT.

There's another button...Brown Rice. Lundberg's makes a mix of wild rice and brown rice which has always been my bête noire. I've never gotten it right. But using this rice cooker and pressing the Brown Rice button, it's as though it figured out the optimal average for those very different types of rice. For the first time I understood how that mix was supposed to taste.

There are provisions for steaming foods in a basket, but I have a flawless steaming rig for the stove, so I've yet to try it. Cleanup is easy. Of course you have to use care and not treat it as though you're scrubbing down a tractor. I suspect that's the reason the coating peeled but, a simple sponge and water and that's it. There's also a clever little container that catches condensation from the lid. That pops out and is easily emptied.

I have a three-room kitchen/pantry so I can make room for something like this. The only con would be for those with a smaller kitchen. Still, it's well worth the effort of finding the space for it. I think, like me, you'll be finding more use for this appliance than you originally thought and, at less than forty bucks, there's little reason to hesitate.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2011
We bought this rice cooker from a store whose name rhymes with "Halmart". Thinking that we knew how to cook rice, we loaded it up and fired away, only to get a tremendous mess of starchy goop that flooded the top of the unit and flowed down the side, collecting underneath. (It stinks and the stink gets worse if you forget that it's there...) [UPDATE: You can place the rice cooker on a large Corelle dish to catch goopy overflow. It's a close size-match.)

After reading reviews for other Aroma rice cookers here on Amazon, I discovered that soaking the rice fixes everything. And very fortunately, this unit comes with a delay timer. Just load the cooker with rice and water (measured, of course), press "Delay Timer" for the number of hours you'd like to delay (the number is the number of hours when the rice will be finished), and choose "white rice" or "brown rice" (brown rice was giving us the most mess). I've set the timer as little as 2 hours, and the mess is eliminated even then. I believe that more delay is better. I've set it as long as 12 hours. I don't know the maximum number of hours you can delay.

CONS for this rice cooker: there's a plastic valve inside the lid that needs to be cleaned often, and the underside of the lid needs to be cleaned as well. It doesn't detach, so you'll have to scrub with a wet paper towel.

I haven't tried to steam anything yet (fish, veggies).

Bottom line: I recommend this product.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2012
As far as the cheaper rice cookers go, this one is pretty much everywhere. I was happy with it for maybe 6 months, then two things happened. One's a minor nuisance, the other is the major concern that made me ditch it:

1) It started burning the rice. Keep in mind, I had been using it normally for a few months and knew how to operate it....I just had to start measuring the time myself, knowing that if I didn't stop it at a certain interval, the rice would burn. So mine went bad quickly, but that doesn't mean the product itself is lousy - maybe it was a one-off case.

2) The larger concern was that every time I dried it with a towel or cloth, this horrendous black chemical coating would come off. Every time. After 3 months, after six months, after a year, that black stuff was rubbing off A LOT after every single wash. Of course, if it comes off there, it comes off in the food. I asked myself if I really wanted to be slowly poisoning myself with some toxic made-in-China chemical garbage. Nope....I'll shell out the bigger bucks for the Zojirushi or whatever it's called. Look, this is a lower-end rice cooker in terms of its pricing, so maybe it's unfair to expect it to not be built this way because of economics. But even if there's a .01% chance it'll contribute to some kind of health problem for me in the future, this is not a place where I want to save money.

PS (Update)> After doing A LOT of research, I found that while Zojirushi is excellent, it still carries a kind of Teflon coating. In theory, it won't be bad for you unless it reaches a certain very high temperature, but I didn't want to take my chances (e.g., it can start to flake off with the years, and there's a lot of medical research on the issues it can cause). I was left with very few options...there are some clay pot rice cookers, but the reviews of the product are abysmal and it has other problems. In the end, I settled for a Panasonic model that has a binchotan coating, which is basically a kind of carbon with diamond fluoride coating. Apparently, chefs prize that kindof material because it helps improve texture/taste. Good stuff!
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 5, 2015
Verified Purchase
Was skeptical at first but truly pleased with my purchase. Stopped cooking rice after years of it sticking to the pan or coming out over done or undercooked. Healthier eating brought on less bulky pastas and wanted to try to incorporate more rice into our meals. Also, since this appliance is not only a rice cooker but also acts as a crock pot and veggie steamer as well...it's easy on the pocketbook as well as the counter space. Reviews were kinda half and half with many saying that they either couldn't figure it out (hard to follow directions) or the rice was not coming out well when they used it. After using this for two-three months now, I'd have to say that either those people are either not understanding the directions (which are very easy in my opinion to follow) or it's simply operator error. I LOVE my rice cooker. I can set it and leave it (unlike the pan on the stove) and it's come out perfect every time!

Extras:
1. The wide spoon that is included for the rice is wonderful and stores inside the cooker when not in use.
2. The cup included has measurements on the side, stores inside cooker while not in use.
3. The inside metal bowl of the cooker is easy to clean (literally a damp cloth will do ya-nothing sticks, burns etc!), removes for easy cleaning without worries of water damage to unit AND has measurements on inside of bowl so you know you're getting the right amount of water and rice evertime! Takes the guess work out.
4. Manual is very easy to read. Separated into sections "Cooking Rice", "Steaming veggies while cooking rice" etc etc. Has a handy insert that is removable with "Quick cooking tips" for amounts to use and hangs on my fridge for quick referencing.
5. Steamer tray is removable, stores in unit when not in use and gives ample space. I can usually fit two 10-12oz frozen veggie bags in it with a bit of room to spare. This tray does seem to take on some of the color of the more colored veggies (such as carrots with an orangish tint) but otherwise not a huge deal. Easy clean up.

Only Downside that I can think of:
The cord for this unit is somewhat shorter than my usual appliances. However, this also means that I can bring it up through the handle once, and have it dangle while not in use-rather than have a wad of cord flopping around the cabinet too. So, take that as you will.

I added photos for better viewing-since seller does not post for much to see. This was one of my biggest issues when comparing these to other brands/models. I wanted to see inside and how it all comes together or comes apart. So, I'm hoping this helps someone out. Coffee can in photos is a large coffee can from Sams club-for size comparison.

One thing to note, the lid on this unit does NOT come off completely. It is attached by a hinge on one side. Grab onto handle, push in large button with thumb to release door and it opens easily (light weight lid also). Lid does stay open without dropping down hard when ready to serve rice OR metal bowl can be removed during serving.

Bottom Line: WORTH THE MONEY! Great price, excellent rice-every time! Takes the hassle out of multiple pans, can be used for full meal dishes (crock pot type use) & veggie or food steamer tray. Would definitely recommend this to anyone.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this rice cooker to replace an old rice cooker...the old one just could not handle the 10 cups of uncooked rice without making a big mess. THIS rice cooker had no issue and made no mess. The outside of the lid is slopped in towards the center so if it did bubble some liquid out it wouldn't be running all over the counter like my old one did. I wash and put in 10 cups of uncooked long grain white rice and got 20 cups of perfectly cooked rice out! Took about 45-50 minutes, but no effort on my part!
review image
on December 20, 2011
Verified Purchase
I have had the regular inexpensive rice cookers from wal-mart for years. They cooked rice fine, or so I thought. I wanted a rice cooker that looked attractive sitting out in the kitchen. I bought the Aroma ARC-150SB 20-Cup Digital Rice Cooker and Steamer. I expected a prettier appliance that does the same job. I was so surprised when I tasted my first bite of rice! The rice was cooked so well. It was fluffy, tender, not hard or mushy, but perfectly cooked. It cooks brown rice so well. The steamer is amazing. This appliance really steams quickly and well. It works just as well to cook rice and steam vegetables at the same time. This product really has impressed me enough to take the time to write this review. It was well worth the 30-some dollars I paid for it on Amazon.com. I checked e-bay and a bunch of other retailers and Amazon.com was by far the least expensive. And I got free shipping. It arrived with in two days of ordering. Great product, great shopping service, great price!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2015
Awosome
review image
on March 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
It's probably a little bigger than what I had expected or needed, but who knows when you might actually need 20 cups of rice. It also had a couple of nice features that I didn't expect. There's a steam condensate catcher on the back of the unit so that when you open the lid, it doesn't all run down the back of the unit. It detaches easily for cleaning. Also, mine came with a rice paddle so don't bother purchasing an extra one because it's included. The cord was fairly long... about 4 feet so that helps with versatility in appliance placement. The first batch of rice I made was a brown, red, and long grain wild rice mix. It probably could have used just a touch extra water or perhaps I over filled the rice measurement cup. The brown and red rice were perfect but the long grain wild rice could have used an extra few minutes or some extra water. Probably a pitfall of mixing different types of rice and not a shortcoming of the machine. The only drawback that I saw was that the "steaming" tray was made of plastic. I would have hoped they would make it out of metal like the main rice compartment but I'm more of a grill fan than a steamer fan so I probably won't use it anyway. All in all, pretty happy with the unit so far. Pretty much agree with the other positive reviews. The negative review about the capacity is a strange one. It yields up to 20 cups of cooked rice from 10 cups of dry rice... hope that clears up any confusion. Enjoy and happy rice making!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2012
Verified Purchase
We bought this to replace an older rice cooker. I love the features - brown rice and delay timer. We used to jump hoops to cook brown rice well. Still came short. However, with this rice cooker its easy and the rice comes out with just the right amount of consistency. The delay timer is another feature I really like it. Just put the rice and water and set the timer. It will automatically start, cook and come to warm. Really convenient. Overall I like it and would recommend to others.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
American guy here (Culinary degreed chef). Filipina wife so rice is a daily thing in our house. Not sure how anyone can experience some of the problems they have written about with this unit, but all I can say is that they are not used to using rice cookers. This thing is a breeze and clean up doesn't even require a sponge. I use my fingers after soaking for a mere 5 minutes. No spill nightmares or any of the other things people have mentioned. Just perfect rice every time. Just replaced a 15 year old unit I had and couldn't be happier. If you already use a rice cooker and know what you are doing, do not worry about the negative reviews and nightmares. Will never use the steam basket or make a stew in it because I have steamers and dutch ovens for that, but for rice........perfection every time!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations