Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 16, 2011
Looks nice. Glad i got it. I have a 7/14 cup Aroma cooker for more than a year that im very pleased with but needed something smaller.

Works great.

Only caveats ive learned is that

a) you cant cook 3 cups of "real" basmati type rice without it reaching lid. I turned the steamer upside down and put lid on that as temporary measure. Rice came out just fine, but you cant easily stir it after it goes to warm mode to fluff it up while it cools down/cooks more because its reached the top of pot.

b) you must absolutely rinse out the rice a couple times so the water is near clear so you dont get all that froth. (guess all the complaining about spilling is about that. i cheated once and didnt rinse... ofcourse it says this in manual.

Cooks rice great, easy to clean, looks very nice and its tiny.

Also, Aroma sells replacement parts unlike other manufactures. (including the non-stick inner pot) ( $6 each, i already ordered two to put in storage for when i drop/scratch them)
1010 comments|439 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2013
While using a steamer basket and small sauce pot to steam veggies, I let the pot go dry. End result: burned up a pot and a steamer basket. So I now had no way to steam veggies or cook small amounts of rice. I started considering a rice cooker, and did my research on Amazon. I had first ordered a Zojirushi model in the $50 range, but was not sure about the whole idea of a rice cooker. I cancelled that order and ordered this Aroma model instead: it was highly rated, and reasonably priced, so I gave it a try. I have been pleasantly surprised!

Like other reviewers have suggested, I rinse the rice (brown rice, brown jasmine and basmati so far) well several times. The one time I forgot this step, I had bubbling foaming mess all over the counter. Otherwise, if rinsed well, I did not have this issue. I did have to add a bit more liquid, otherwise the rice sticks to the bottom. I also give it a stir when much of the liquid is absorbed. That seems to help, too. The rice turns out fluffy and much better than in my old saucepan.

Unlike other reviewers though, I have used my rice cooker more for steaming veggies (as a single person, I only need to cook rice 1-2 times a week). Do not follow the steaming times in the included brochure...much too long and veggies come out like mush. I start by running the tap water until hot, then add to the bowl - otherwise the heat up time is much too long. I can steam a few cups of any vegetable with room to spare - -enough for 2-3 people. Broccoli takes about 5 minutes or less, green bean 7-9 minutes, and slices of sweet potato 1 inch thick take about 8 minutes. This is way easier than the old steamer basket. I like the design - it is a small rice cooker, but perfect for one or two people. It has non-skid "feet", so it does not slide on the counter. I do like the aluminum steaming tray. It is thin, but seems durable. And clean up is a breeze.

Yes, I could have gotten a deluxe, super duper fancy model with all the bells and whistles. I just wanted to see if I would like and use a rice cooker. Found out that I use it a lot, and it holds up well. It is the perfect small size for me, and easy to store. And the price is veryi reasonable, especially if you are test-driving a rice cooker to see if it is for you. Don't know yet about long-term durability...will write later with that info. But overall, I would recommend this Aroma rice cooker.
55 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
I made rice in this little cooker that turned out great, just the right portion for me and some leftover. This morning I poached eggs in the steamer (make a "cup" out of aluminum foil, spray with nonstick stuff, put in egg and put that into steamer basket, turn on and keep an eye on it for doneness), and then made steel cut oats (just guessed based on years of making steel cut oats in a pan on the stove) by leaving the lid ajar (put a plastic egg spatula under the rim of the lid), when the oats and water are mosty just thick and gooey turn the cooker to warm and let the cooker finish them).
This is my first rice cooker and I always wondered why anyone needed to use one, but now I see the light.
review image
on April 6, 2012
I eat a lot of rice and don't really steam a lot of things, so as a rice cooker only review this is a very good product. Initially my problems in buying a cooker was trying to figure out how many cups of rice equaled to how much food I would be serving at a time. What I've found is that about one cup of rice equates to roughly two servings. And since I usually only eat one serving per meal, there's a good amount left for the next day if you're looking for a large enough cooker that will leave leftovers.

My only quibble, and it's no fault of the cooker really, is that there's an exhaust port/hole on the lid, allowing the pot to release the boiling pressure inside so there's no spill over. Unfortunately, it's literally a hole in the lid that will splatter water in the direction it's facing. I usually put down a dish rag to catch the excess water shooting out, because otherwise the surface you're cooking on will become messy.

Lastly, there's a faint burnt plastic smell coming off of the cooker when it's in use. I'm sure this will go away after a few more uses, and so far it's not affecting the flavor of the rice I'm making, so it shouldn't be a big deal. The lid, pot, and the plastic body all become very hot when you cook, so be prepared to wait a minute or two before touching them after the cooking nozzle switches over to warm (indicating that you're food is done) just in case you burn yourself on accident.
22 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2011
I recently purchased this and I must say it is perfection. I have never had a problem with "boiling over", "spewing" or "sticking". I like it so much I plan on buying a larger one! Hint: Do not put so much water in the bottom and it will never "boil over". also, a little spray in the bottom may help. HOpe this helps.
11 comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
Does what it says it will do - cooks rice well. This is the third Aroma rice cooker I have owned. I gave two of them away to family who raved about how well it cooked. I find the cooker improves the more you use it, i.e. the first couple of batches of rice are cooked but not as well as later batches. It gets better with usage.
on August 9, 2013
I purchased this rice cooker for my move to NYC. For starters, it is a SMALL rice cooker. If you want to cook for more than 2 or 3 people, you are better off buying a larger cooker.

It is also a very simple cooker. It comes with a steamer to steam foods.
review image
on October 31, 2011
For the price, the way it looks and the way it works, it is awesome. I live in the dorms, and i don't need a huge rice cooker, it's me and usualy a couple friends. Its enough for all of us... and it has an awesome steamer that i have yet to use, but it looks pretty legit. I come from a family that eats rice with every meal. This is the best purhase i have made all year!
11 comment|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2011
I received this rice cooker as a present, and I love it! It cooks the rice perfectly and steams the vegetables well. I have not tried to cook meat it in, as I am a vegetarian, but it works great for what I need. I do add extra water when steaming vegetables while cooking rice. I have cooked asparagus, brussels sprouts, and zucchini in this while also cooking rice. I have noticed it sputters a little, but mine does not make a big mess as other reviewers have noticed.
I love that I can switch it on and walk away until ready to eat!
on November 29, 2011
I had a cheap one of these I purchased at Walmart a few years ago that had a metal canister to cook the rice in and it stuck every time. I decided to get one of these with the non-stick canister and hey I even got a steamer! I don't write long reviews telling you all about it pros and cons. I'll say this, it's a great little rice cooker for the money and I would def recommend it to someone else.
0Comment|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse