5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small amounts
Published on August 6, 2012 by REC9

I am a Chinese man who does a lot of Chinese cooking. It was time for me to get a new rice cooker and this one seemed to have good ratings and a design that made sense. Boy was I wrong.

Published 23 months ago by David Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small amounts, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Aroma Simply Stainless 6-Cup (Cooked) Rice Cooker, White (Kitchen)
I'd been using the Aroma 6 cups (cooked, 3 cups uncooked) rice cooker with the non stick (aluminum) interior for years and have loved it. Rice never stuck to bottom, even if I just made 1 cup of uncooked rice. I replaced that one with this stainless steel inner pot Aroma model and it does a fabulous job. I've only used it once and the rice was perfect, but since there are so few reviews, I wanted to add mine for you as soon as possible. I made 2 cups (uncooked) brown basmati rice, according to the directions.

Since many users comment about rice sticking to the bottom of their rice cookers, this is the method that I've been using for years. First, I rinse the rice (in my new Japanese rice washing bowl--OK the bowl is new). I pour a very small amount of olive oil on the bottom of the inner pot and use my fingers to get it to cover the entire bottom. Add rice, then water, then cook.

This is the part that I think keeps it from not sticking--when the button moves from the cooking to the keep warm position (you can hear it pop), I remove the inner pot with lid on and let it finish off the heat. After about 15 minutes, I fluff the rice with the included paddle (previously I had used a fork) and the rice is perfect.

For grains, white rice, and brown rice, there is an instruction booklet for grains to water ratio. For white rice, you can also add the measured rice (they provide a rice measuring "cup," which is ¾ standard cup) into the inner pot then fill with water to the inner pot markings for 1, 2, or 3 cups.

Stainless steel is a good weight. Doesn't take up much space. Rice was PERFECT--did not stick or burn. Bamboo paddle, rice measuring cup, and instruction booklet are included. Excellent product and does great job.

***Update. I've now used this at least a half a dozen times for brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat (whole kasha) and it's performed as well as the first time I used it. I'm very happy with this cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too small -- brown rice takes more water, October 25, 2012
I returned product (6-cup cooked) and got the next larger size (14-cup cooked). I knew by other reviews that "cup" meant 6 oz and not the usual 8 oz, but I did not know that brown rice takes a lot more water. Manual warns not to place more than 2 cups (12 oz, not 16 oz) of brown rice into appliance; or 3 cups of white rice. This rice cooker can cook only 12 oz of uncooked brown rice; this will make 24 oz of cooked rice [4 cups (using 6 oz cup measure) or 3 cups (using 8 oz cup measure)].

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but smaller than advertised, August 6, 2012
This is one sweet little rice cooker. However, when they say it holds six cups of cooked rice, they are NOT talking about six standard-measure 8-ounce cups. They must be talking about six of the 6-ounce 'cups' that came with the cooker. That said, I love the little thing. The stainless pot is well made, solid, and not at all cheap or flimsy. Ditto for the lid. The handles are attached with screws instead of rivets. The electric cord is 30 inches long. It is perfect for cooking one or two (standard size!) cups of rice, millet, or quinoa.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Teflon!, August 13, 2012
I bought this because it has no chemical non-stick coatings, just plain old stainless steel bowl. It cooks well, but there is a trick to getting best results.

Helpful hint - as with the teflon cookers, it helps to turn it off as soon as the water boils off. Then, add a couple of tablespoons of water and let it sit for a while. This will greatly reduce the amount of rice sticking to the bottom.

1.0 out of 5 stars This has a horrible, borderline dangerous, design. DO NOT BUY., February 19, 2013
David Pan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

The lid that you see in the picture has a hole in it in order to release steam. Which would be fine except that all the energy and heat involved in cooking gets focused out that hole and all the steam and hot sputtery water come shoot out from it. It makes a mess out of the nearby counter area and it likely to burn any unsuspecting person who happens to be cooking around it. My one and only time using it, I was with my mom (who definitely knows her way around a kitchen) and as it started to sputter and spray, we laughed and noted that this was the stupidest design we'd ever seen to cook rice.

Also take into consideration that the automatic warming that most rice cookers have these days is not the same in this model. When your rice is done cooking, the machine doesn't automatically go to warming mode. Instead, the same amount of heat (as if it was still cooking the rice) stays on and if you don't attend to it, it'll burn your rice. Isn't the whole point of a rice cooker that it should be something you just turn on and walk away?

Anyway, I NEVER write Amazon reviews but I was so baffled by the stupidity of this product that I had to do one. DO NOT BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good rice cooker!, September 20, 2012
When I checked the review, there was only one comment was posted with a concern of spilled water from the glad lid hole. The statement of "it cooks up to 14 cooked rice" was confusing/misleading. It should have said it cooks up to 7 cups and it does. My other choice was "Miracle" brand but decided to get this one after clarifying how much rice it cooks.
I cooked brown, white and black rice anywhere from 3-5 cups without any spilled water from the glass lid hole! The price is much lower than "Miracle" brand which my friend purchased and I am very happy with my purchase!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Aroma 14cup stainless steel cooker, July 10, 2012
I like the fact the cooking pot is stainless steel. Rice cooks well. My only problem is the glass lid with hole. The water spills all around while cooking. It is a big mess. My previous rice cooker had a stainless steel lid without holes. Less water spilled then. I am not using the glass lid now instead I use another stainless steel lid that I have. Less spillage now, but still there. IF you don't mind the spillage or have a SS lid to put on it, it works good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Rice Cooker!, November 14, 2012
ArizonaGirl (Tucson, AZ, USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this rice cooker to replace one with an aluminum insert. I see other folks have had some problems with rice sticking. I have not had that problem with the other rice cooker, nor with this one. I don't use the silly cup that always comes with rice cookers. It is not really a cup, and I don't know why they bother with it. I use a 1C measuring cup of rice. This cooker is the same size as my other one, and it is just the right size for 1C of rice or quinoa.

I generally cook 1/3C quinoa, 1/3C wild rice, and 1/3C of a brown rice blend. I put the rice/quinoa mix in the cooker with 1T olive oil and stir it well so the olive oil coats the rice, then put 1C water in, and soak it overnight. Rice really does not want to give up the nutrition inside it, so it works best to soak it before cooking, unless it is the white hulled type rice. I don't eat that type of rice, but I know some folks like it. I use the unhulled rice, but it does not cook well if it is not soaked first. Before a friend gave me the tip to soak it, I used to end up with rather chewy rice because it just would not all get cooked, especially the wild rice. After soaking it, when I cook it I put in another 2C water. I end up with a very tender mix that is fully cooked, and have not had problems with it sticking. As another reviewer suggested, it does help to keep an eye on it, though, and when it is almost done, before it switches to warm, unplug it and stir the mixture with the paddle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product good price, August 29, 2012
Since I bought the stainless rice cooker, I really like it. It is a good size. Rice can stick to the bottom when it is freshly cooked. But it is not a problem for me at all. Since I often cook rice for a couple of meals, I notice if I let the rice stay in the cooker and put it in the fridge for one night, then the rice easily comes off. If I happen to cook for one meal, I add a bit water to the cooker after all rice is taken, let it cook a little bit, and then get a bowl of rice soup. I am very happy with the purchase. Now I do not need to worry about the chemicals from non-stick cook wares.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bottom of 'stainless steel' pan pitted, October 9, 2013
Great at first, but after only a few uses the bottom of the 'stainless steel' cooking pan is pitted. Doesn't appear to be solid stainless.