Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 11, 2013
As you may know, I collect cookbooks. I have more than 600 in hard copy alone, thousands more in Kindle versions. And since I read my Kindle cookbooks on an iPad, things like full color or lots of pictures are not an issue for me as they are for many Kindle users. Lately, I've found myself adding to my collection in two specific areas - cookbooks from the UK and cookbooks that feature Southern food - so I thought that I had really hit the jackpot when I bought the Kindle version of Southern Living Around the Southern Table: Coming home to comforting meals and treasured memories a couple of days ago. The book is full of vibrant color photos. There is an illustration for every recipe, with a link to each dish right in the photo. There is indeed an index, though you may have to page left towards the cover rather than right into the body of the book to access it. The recipes sound downright scrumptious. However, Southern Living Around the Southern Table: Coming home to comforting meals and treasured memories seems to have had a tragic accident, one that has critically disabled it!

For some reason that I simply cannot fathom, the publisher (Southern Living) has chosen to disable all of the user friendly functions that are true necessities for making Kindle cookbooks work!

There is NO SEARCH. If you want a list of all the recipes that contain sweet potatoes you are going to have to go through the book by hand and write them down on PAPER!

There are NO BOOKMARKS. If you found a wonderful recipe you want to try, you'll need to write the name down on PAPER so that you remember it - and of course pray that you do not lose the PAPER.

There are NO NOTES. If you find an error or want to make a note of a change, poor you. Write it down on PAPER.

I really wanted to give this book a 5 star review and tell how you wonderful it is. In all honesty, the content wipes the floor with every other recent Southern cookbook I've seen lately. I wanted to tell you about the great recipe that I found for __________ but I cannot remember the name of the dish and can't search to find it. I wanted to tell you about the error that I found in another recipe, something named __________, but couldn't bookmark the recipe or make a note about the error. Sadly, I didn't have any PAPER handy to write on at the time.

When I went to check something in preparation for writing this review while my iPad was charging I discovered that Southern Living Around the Southern Table: Coming home to comforting meals and treasured memories is not compatible with either Kindle for MAC or Kindle for Windows (unless you have Windows 8). I tried to read the book on the Cloud only to discover that the Cloud Reader seems to be broken in Firefox and the book is so large the pages won't display on Chrome, even on my very fast connection. (I stream all of my TV.)

Grandma's $0.02 - I don't know about yours, but the cookbooks that I use frequently are full of bookmarks, notes about changes I've made and stains on the most-loved recipes. There is very little more ridiculous than paying for an electronic copy of a "book" that you cannot bookmark or make notes in. What is the point of a digital version of a cookbook if you still need PAPER to list your favorites or make notes?

Two thumbs down for the KINDLE version of Southern Living Around the Southern Table: Coming home to comforting meals and treasured memories. This is unusable as a cookbook, not worth paying for at any price, even if the price is $0.00.

Buy the print version. It comes with PAPER!
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2012
Well I am SOOOOOOO Happy to be the first to review this beautiful book! Past the wonderful recipes, the beautiful
photographs,the wonderful asides, and energy of this book, I am delighted it is written by a young Southern Mother
whose Grandmother Tom, was the inspiration for her pursuing cooking in the Southern Style. I fear we are losing the
fabric of home and family dinner every night with all the hustle and bustle of Mom working outside the home. This can be
the GO TO book for young working Moms to use to learn to or to refresh with when they cook. We need to hang onto recipes
from Grandmas like Tom...and set a proper table, value vintage linens and dishes, and create charm and a warm setting for
memory making family times around the table. This book will feed your stomach and your soul with it's charm, recipes, and
the visuals that encourage you to try to give your family an experience at mealtime. Congratulations Rebecca and thank you
to Southern Living for giving her the opportunity to teach her generation that Charm is not forgotten or a thing of the past.
This is Southern Cooking at it's finest from Pimento Cheese through to mouthwatering desserts like Chocolate Bourbon Pecan
Pie. I have died and gone to heaven!
on October 25, 2012
This is an incredible book! From the very first page you are invited to share the warmth that is Southern hospitality with native southerner, food writer, and cooking instructor Rebecca Lang. I can honestly say I could sit down and read this cookbook cover to cover and be in absolute bliss. Rebecca's recipes are absolutely mouthwatering...I can't wait to try the over-the-top egg sandwiches, Georgia shrimp bisque, and sweet potato chips with gorgonzola sauce...yum! A novice at Southern cooking,I was thrilled to see that the book includes recipes for classics like herbed buttermilk biscuits and homemade grits. In addition to all the delicious recipes, Lang offers up memories of her childhood and additional snippets about life in the Southern kitchen. I would highly recommend this book for food lovers of any kind!
on December 26, 2012
The stories contained in Rebecca Lang's "around the southern table" are heartwarming, nostalgic, and sweet. Being a northwestern girl married to a southern man for 25 years, I was drawn to the book hoping to find some recipes that I could make like "Granny" used to. Unfortunately, this book is not that type of cook book. While it does contain some really nice recipes that I may be adventurous enough to try some day, it falls short in what I was looking for. The recipes are not for novice cooks, or ones with little confidence in the kitchen.

I had my husband look through the book, and he said there were a few things in it that he recognized. It is not, however, a realistic view of everyday southern cooking.

If you are looking for a book with beautiful pictures of food, and some nice stories thrown in, than this is the book for you. If you want an actual southern cookbook, keep looking.
on October 18, 2012
I met Rebecca Lang at the Taste of Charleston event in September, 2012. Rebecca has taken every traditional Southern recipe and added her own special flair. She has given precise and easily to follow instructions for each recipe, as well as added her own personal comments to every recipe. My favorite recipe is the Divine Pimiento Cheese! I have never really liked Pimiento Cheese, but my husband loves it so I always try to make it for him. Rebecca added one little ingredient that I had never used. Grated onion! The onion makes all the difference! I can now say that Pimiento Cheese is a favorite of mine because of Rebecca Lang! Thank you, Rebecca, for writing such a beautiful, informative and useful cookbook. I have been cooking for 40 years and you have taught me a lot. I also admire the love of family and tradition that Rebecca has shared in this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 8, 2013
The Southern Living Around the Southern Table is a cookbook filled promise. That promise is unfulfilled as the table of contents is not interactive. The table of contents is not all that descriptive, although there is a later explanation of the recipes.

Here's a sample of what I mean by the unclear chapter headings:

sugar bowls: A chapter filled with dessert recipes
soup spoons & sliced bread: A chapter dealing with soups, chowders and sandwiches
harvest time: salads and veggies

The recipes look delicious and the colorful photos truly enhance this cookbook.

I'd be happy to upgrade my rating when the table of contents is fixed.

Recommend with caveats given.

Penmouse
on November 25, 2012
This is a very nicely put together book, but it did not have anywhere near the Southern recipes I had anticipated, so I was quite disappointed. I purchased this book based on the reviews, but like I said, this book did not contain some of the old and well known recipes... unfortunately.
on July 7, 2013
1. There is no index - NONE
2. Cannot use the search at all, so you cannot find recipes or ingredients
3. Cannot use the note/bookmark so IF you find a recipe, you have to page through EVERY TIME.
4. The table of contents is cutesy, not informative. (e.g., sugar bowls is a section title. So lame.)

I have no idea if the recipes are any good because they are too blasted difficult to find.
The functions that make a cookbook usable and friendly on a Kindle just don't work.
I don't have time for this much aggravation.
To Southern Living and Rebecca Lang, you should be embarrassed to publish this cookbook in this condition.
on February 8, 2013
My grandmother had Southern Roots and she set a fine table. My brother and I loved spending the weekends with my grandparents because of grandma's meals. Boy were they ever good. She served meals that would "Stick to Your Ribs."
This book is full of the kind recipes that I'm sure grandma used. If you love good food this is your book.
on October 15, 2015
Interesting cookbook - I stopped taking Southern Living magazine because it can't compare to the magazine from 20 years ago. Best to buy one of their specialty cookbooks, since one of my main interests in the magazine was the recipes. Also purchased one (elsewhere) as a gift after reading the copy I ordered. My copy was used, but in very good condition and I am happy I purchased it.