Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Around the World Art & Activities: Visiting the 7 Continents Through Craft Fun (Williamson Little Hands Series) (Williamson Little Hands Book)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 12, 2008
This is a really wonderful book. It helps you plan a virtual field trip with your kids to the seven continents. In the beginning, they make their own "passport" and even a suitcase (from cereal box) to start their trip. The first stop is North America, where they will learn and craft about Native people from Canada and USA (making a Totem Pole), Mexico (making Papel picado), USA (making a statue of Liberty, a replica of Spirit of St. Louis plane), and other projects. Then, the next step is The Pacific Islands and Australia where kids will learn and craft about animals and art in the region. In Asia, kids will make a Japanese doll, a Chinese paper fan and an Indian elephant just to mention some things. In Africa, projects include a desert sand dune, a striped zebra and the Great Pyramid among others. In Europe, they will learn and craft about Eiffel Tower, Russian matryoshkas, castles, windmills, etc. In Central and South America, kids will learn and craft about music instruments, animals and folk crafts. In Antarctica, kids will learn about icebergs, penguins, whales.

This book is not only fun for kids, but it offers many opportunities to learn. For every project, it includes a map and location of the topic studied, and it contains other useful information to share, such as scientific facts about what the kids are crafting (like in the case of animals), some easy science experiments related, suggestions of books to read around that topic, and curious facts that will amaze everyone.

This book works great for Social Studies in the lower elementary grades, but it can also be used to teach science or to take ideas for reading response projects.
on February 7, 2015
We paired this book with "Children Just Like Me: A Unique Celebration of Children Around the World " and it works marvelously. We are a homeschooling family and we use both books to read about different cultures and people from around the world and then we do an activity for that place. It's really fun and a great way to learn, hands-on. There are really some great activities in here. You could probably find most of the somewhere online but this is so convenient to have and be able to look things up quickly. I would recommend it to others.
on April 12, 2016
I homeschool my children and bought this book as a part of our curriculum for this year. The book provides art & activities for children to create that are either popular or representative of art & activities created around the world in different continent & countries. A journey through the book will take you through North America, The Pacific Islands & Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe, Central & South America, and Antarctica. My kids are ages 5, 5 and 8. The content of the book is age appropriate and my kids enjoy the activities, but the book is somewhat boring for children to look through and explore on their own, in their efforts to do some independent activities. The book is all black and white writing and illustrations. Having color throughout the book would entice children to explore the book on their own more and perhaps learn to create things on their own as well.The activities do have clear instructions and lists of all supplies needed, most of which you can find lying around your house. Many of these projects and ideas can also be found through searching the internet or pinterest for similar activities related to the countries you are exploring. All in all though, I am glad that I have this book to help me with ideas and projects, even if my children do not explore the book/activities on their own.
on August 17, 2014
We have been using this in our home-schooling curriculum, and I love the ideas it has. My kids have loved it from the get go. Some of the ideas for the lessons include: Making a passport, Making a Suitcase, Making a Zulu Hut, Building a Pyramid, etc. You can only help a child learn so much by lecturing and testing. They need that hands on approach to help instill the concept in their minds. This book is full of great ideas to introduce geography to your children.
on May 12, 2014
I love this book because it gave me a lot of craft ideas for my multicultural family night. However, a lot of things take time to prep because it doesn't provide the printable for any of the crafts. Still a great resource!
on December 28, 2010
our 6 year old enjoys the crafts and learning about the continents. the projects definitely need supervision, but we love doing them. after purchasing this, we checked out the science book from the library.
on June 12, 2013
When you are looking for information on a country and you want an art activity to go with it, this is the book for you.This book has information you can use when teaching, and there are simple art activities that you can give the children to increase their understanding of the subject. Excellent for both the teacher and the children.
on January 20, 2014
I was hoping for something that had better instructions on how to make the projects. And the projects really are not that interesting. Could probably find better online with templates to print, even.
on April 4, 2013
It was very nice, I was hoping for more. I will get some use out of it. I was expecting it to be my go to book but I think I will still be looking for more.
on May 3, 2013
This books has a lot of activities to keep a child occupied. There were no markings in the book, but some of the pages are faded.