5.0 out of 5 stars I've NOT made a huge mistake buying this book.
Published on December 13, 2011 by starwars814

3.0 out of 5 stars Time consuming read
My boyfriend and I love the show and thought this would be a great in sight into the many layers of the show. Unfortunately it is more of a slow read. It makes great points, but you really have to stop and think about what you are reading.
Published on December 14, 2012 by Christen Tighe

5.0 out of 5 stars I've NOT made a huge mistake buying this book., December 13, 2011
This review is from: Arrested Development and Philosophy: They've Made a Huge Mistake (Paperback)
I am obviously a fan of Arrested Development, as it would be pointless to buy this book if I weren't. After reading this book, I am thoroughly impressed. It is well written and organized, making it very easy to read. It is truly amazing, and worthy of being called the Arrested Development book. The book examines the Bluths from various philosophical perspectives, and jokes from the show are perfectly scattered throughout the book to make it even more enjoyable. Every time I finish rewatching the show, I naturally feel sad that it is over again. This book allows me to continue the joy of Arrested Development. I cannot wait to watch the show again to see how my reactions to the characters differ now that I have read this book.

If you have ever stood up and shouted "I'm a MONSTER!" with your fist in the air, yelled "No touching!" at someone, or suggestively told someone, "There's always money in the banana stand," then you need to buy this book. It really is amazing. It is, of course, Arrested Development.

Steve Holt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book - Especially the article on Freud, December 12, 2011
As a long time fan of this show, I went out and bought this book as soon as I could. I've always thought the nuances and layers of this show would make it an excellent candidate for the 'And Philosophy' series.

I've enjoyed all of the articles in the book, but my eyes were particularly opened by the Freudian Arrested Development article. This essay in particular was exceptionally well-written and made very valid and lucid connections between the underpinnings of Freud's psychoanalysis and the dysfunctional family relationships of the Bluths. I found that essay to be particularly enlightening and insightful - I would recommend that all parties interested in this book read this particular article first, as it is the true gem of the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely accessible journey into Philosophy, January 26, 2012
While I was aware of the show before I read the book I had not watched that many episodes. That however did not detract from the book at all. I found that using the show as a lens to filter some basic philosophical ideas was a great way to help a philosophy novice take in and understand the ideas being presented. Each section was driven by not only the knowledge the authors were imparting but by a sense of fun and whimsy that looking at the shows characters brings. Also the sense of fun was enhanced by the various authors obvious love of the show and the characters. All in all it was a fun read that also gave my brain a lot to chew on.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought this as a gift, August 22, 2012
it was this book which introduced me to the 'and philosophy' series and was so impressed from a flick through, i bought my own and several others in the series! :D

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, July 25, 2013
Hilarious and informative. The chapters on Aristotle, Marx, and Freud extremely insightful and were my favorite.
A few chapters were a little thick to get through, but hey, it's philosophy, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has had the wonderful experience of watching the first three seasons of Arrested Development.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased!, July 9, 2013
The book was good, I liked it. I am a big fan if the show so it was well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, June 8, 2013
For a fan of Arrested Development, you really need this book! It accompanies the characters that you encounter in the series and is a must-have for true fans of the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, April 30, 2012
Ordered it as a Christmas gift for my brother, but I was able to read some of it when it arrived. If you've seen the show, it's definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The madness of a now ARRESTED TV series has given birth to the DEVELOPMENT of philosophical concepts., January 1, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I started reading it before ever having seen any episodes of Arrested Development on TV, although NetFlix has all three seasons available for streaming. Having now viewed over a dozen episodes, and read this book, I feel that this latest entry in the Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture series is a solid effort. It's not perfect, but the essays are, for the most part, well-written and a pleasure to read. The six sections of the book address themes found in the TV series: family, business, identity, gender identity and sexuality, knowledge, ethics, and the meaning of narrative.

It is my opinion that a well-written essay will select a theme from the TV series (or movie, etc.) and present a discussion of this theme by way of the ideas of various philosophers. Ideally, an essay should refer to three philosophers: one famous and long dead, one "contemporary" (however that's defined), and a third philoisopher which could be either. More than three will seem like name-dropping, and surely could not do the theme justice in the maximum word limits set for these essays. The essay should not focus exclusively on any single philosopher, but rather show that for any theme, there usually are competing and conflicting ideas that could explain the theme. That is, a well-written essay will "develop" the ideas of these philosophers and tie them in directly with (or weave them in together for) the selected theme.

A number of the essays focused exclusively on a single philosopher (e.g. Freud, Sartre, Marx - twice!, de Beauvoir, Aristotle, Gettier, Kuhn), and these felt like a "lecture on the life of". A few essays focused on a single philosopher but mentioned one or two others in passing, which only makes the reader think that these others were merely thrown in at the last minute to make that particular essay look "informed". A couple of essays made no mention of any philosophers (Chapter 6: "Family First" and Chapter 15: "No Touching! George Sr.'s Brush with Treason"). These should have been excluded from the book. Chapter 13: "Is Justified True Bluth Belief Knowledge?" was somewhat mind-numbing in that it focused so much on presenting examples of Gettier's style cases regarding justified belief. A confusing essay does no service to the reader. Finally, I would have expected a mention of Michel Foucault in an essay on identity, and one of Hume in an essay about theory versus data.

The one essay that I had hoped to see but did not was on a theme that was addressed in another Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture book. The theme is whether one can be friends with one's parents, or if anyone owes a duty of friendship to one's parents. Given the behavior of everyone in the series (all the children are either adults or treated, for the most part, as though they were adults), this would have been a theme ripe for exploration.

A solid effort. At the beginning, as I was streaming episodes on NetFlix, I couldn't believe that any philosophical discussions could arise from the train wreck that is the Bluths' existence. But it's been done - in this book. Four stars, but only because of the "deficiencies" in many of the essays that I feel could have and should have been avoided. John V. Karavitis, John Karavitis, Karavitis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time consuming read, December 14, 2012

Arrested Development and Philosophy: They've Made a Huge Mistake
Arrested Development and Philosophy: They've Made a Huge Mistake by Jeremy Wisnewski (Paperback - December 20, 2011)
$18.95 $14.36