Published 12 months ago by Richard W. Harold

2.0 out of 5 stars Will work w/ Xfinity/Comcast Modems, but....
I purchased this battery as a result of Comcast/Xfinity no longer providing a pre-installed battery for their leased triple-play modems (eMTA). Especially, since they want to charge at least $35 to provide that battery to you.

Published 5 months ago by M. R. Monaco

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 day initial 3-stage battery test process - only charges to an 85% charge level, November 8, 2013
This review is from: Arris ARCT00830 10/12 Hour Battery For ARRIS Touchstone TG8/TM5/TM6/TM7/TM8 Modems (Personal Computers)
This backup battery is a 10/12 Hour Battery that will fit ALL Arris Touchstone Models TG8/TM5/TM6/TM7/TM8 Modems. I am using it in the Comcast Xfinity provided Arris Touchstone Gateway Model TG862G/CT. Comcast provides the modem without a battery. Note that the battery will only back-up the attached telephone line. It does not provide back-up power for the Wi-Fi router part of the modem. I bought mine on eBay from the seller networkparts_usa for $14.95 including shipping charges. Comcast Xfinity wanted to charge me $35.00 PLUS $5.95 shipping (total $40.95) for the 8 hour battery model # ARCT02220 8 Hour Arris Touchstone Modem Backup Battery for Tm802 Tm822 Tg852g Arct02220. I checked the Arris battery sales website, www dot yourbroadbandstore dot com, and they wanted $59.95 PLUS $9.71 shipping (total $69.66) for the 10/12 hour battery. So the cheapest price is on eBay. When searching on eBay, be sure to look for the battery that is listed as "NEW" condition, NOT "NEW OTHER" or "USED". When I inserted the battery into the modem, I checked the Comcast Xfinity Arris modem website 10.0.0.1 (User name: admin, Password: password) to check the battery status under the category "Hardware" and then "Battery". It said that the battery was 50% charged. So I guess that Arris ships partially charged batteries. There is a secomd website called "Arris Touchstone Status" (address: 192.168.100.1) where you can check further details about the modem, battery status, and charging status. The most useful information is located under the tab "Event Log" where you can check the "Power Supply Telemetry Log" and "CM State" where at the very bottom of the page you can check the "Battery Test State". A new battery will undergo three battery test stages: 1. an initial full charge, 2. a full dischage, and 3. a full re-charge back to a fully charged state. The full process will take SIX days! I am thoroughly satisfied with the purchase and the available website information.

UPDATE NOTE: After the battery test completed, my battery stopped charging at a level of 85%. I checked the Xfinity website 10.0.0.1 and it says that my remaining charge is 730 minutes which works out to 12.17 hours. So the remaining charge level meets the stated 10/12 hour advertised rating, but it just won't go to a 100% charge. I am curious if anyone else had this same experience?

The following battery description is quoted from the Arris website:

In the event electrical power fails a battery backup enabled ARRIS modem will automatically switch to the battery pack for power. When electrical power is restored, the modem will switch back to electrical power. The ARRIS battery pack will then recharge right in the modem. No external battery charger or intervention is required.

An ARRIS modem battery is intended to provide backup capability for local electrical power failure only. It is not intended to be the primary power source for the ARRIS Touchstone modem. Service during an electrical power outage is dependent on your service provider's network capability. Contact your service provider for information on network capability. Battery backup times are typical and can be influenced by the age of the battery, the charging state, storage conditions, operating temperature as well as factors such as data and voice usage. The estimated service life of a lithium-ion battery is 6 to 10 years. ARRIS battery packs include a 1 year limited warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expect initial charge/discharge/charge cycle! -- needs instruction sheet., January 10, 2014
This battery should really come with instructions to prevent undue alarm or confusion. While it is certainly possible that some users are getting DOA batteries, I suspect that some that "failed" were simply in the middle of the test cycle the modem initiates when it detects a new battery.
If after installing a new battery, you log in to the modem's web interface, usually at 192.168.100.1, you 'll see that the battery is in test mode doing an initial charge. Then it will do a discharge before charging again. The whole process takes a few days. And when the battery charge gets low, the modem blinks the battery LED as if to indicate that the battery has failed. In my case, the process was interrupted by a real power outage, so I got poor run time (The battery was nearly discharged by the test when the power went down). After the power came back on, the test started from scratch. So it was nearly a week before I hit normal operation.

The problem is that with no note with the battery and likely no indication in the manual about this cycle (if you even get a manual from the cable company), only those really familiar with modem diagnostics would know where to look for modem and battery status.

Bottom line, I imagine a lot of batteries get returned when owners notice the blinking battery light. This could be avoided if a short info sheet were shipped with the battery.

Other than that, the battery is fine and I like having the piece of mind knowing that the landline will work when the lights go out. I wish the network would stay up too, but that's a gripe with the modem and not with this battery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Will work w/ Xfinity/Comcast Modems, but...., June 12, 2014
M. R. Monaco (Des Plaines, IL USA) - See all my reviews

Once received, I was able to install this battery with no issues, and was immediately recognized by the modem. No other additional configuration was needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

About 45days in, and now the battery is exhibiting issues. The modem started to indicate that the battery was "bad", in which I confirmed by comparing the diagnostic LEDs to the user guide. From there, I tested the system via unplugging, and only lasted on backup for about 30min and not hours. Have even went as far as re-seating it several times. Unfortunately, I am now out of the Amazon return/exchange policy, and left with this paperweight. Therefore, I have lowered my review rating.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE:

On a side-note (not related to my review or how many stars given), the battery backup only works for the Phone portion of the eMTA modem/gateway. Therefore, the modem and router functions will stop once the power connection has been cut. I felt that including this would be useful since I've seen the question asked elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arris back-up battery, August 16, 2012
It's been installed on an Arris Tm822g for a week or so and all is well. A light illuminates on the modem indicating that a battery has been installed and is operating. I accidentally removed the tan (used for removal from the modem)band thinking it was packaging, so don't do that. But it's not hard to remove the battery if you have to do so for any reason(Arris modem-ASIN:B00721TUNS Arris TM822G Touchstone® DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Ultra-High Speed Telephony Modem).

Modem product manual:[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars All around best deal, June 21, 2012
I recently upgraded my cable modem to an Arris when I added cable telephone to my cable package. My local cable company offered a 4 hour battery backup for the Arris that was 3 times as much as this battery. This battery provides 10 hours of back up service and works great. The price is excellent and in my opinion it is by far the better value

1.0 out of 5 stars When installed... battery was shown to be defective, January 21, 2014
drbarney (Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this battery b/c it was a great price. But once installed in my Arris TM822g the battery light indicated that the battery was defective. I thought maybe it needed charging but after 24 hours the battery light on my modern still "flashed" indicating that the battery was defective or failed. So I am retiring it for a refund.

The battery looked as though it may have been used and it did not come in its "original" packaging. This may also be why it was less expensive than most other batteries sold by other sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works as advertised, December 15, 2012
Bought for Arris TM822g. Installation is easy and it works. Do not remove the yellow ribbon it is designed to allow for easy removal if ever necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery, November 8, 2012
Dropped right in and made our phone system a 10 hour backup in emergencies. Easy to replace and monitor the battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Arris TG1672G Modem; Protection Well Worth the Cost, August 22, 2014
R. D. Collins (Hermosa Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Even though the modem's model number is not yet listed on the battery's packaging, the Arris ARC T00830 battery works fine with my Arris TG1672G modem, which was supplied to me without a battery by those cheapskates at Time Warner. A battery is essential if you don't want the modem to reset every time there's a minor power outage. Certainly worth the $10.50 I paid for it from Battery Depot (bought through Amazon.com).

5.0 out of 5 stars It lists for something like $60. It arrived new, July 5, 2014
M. R. Jones (Waldorf, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I got the cable modem upgrade (Arris TG862) from Comcast and installed it myself. The modem came without a battery. I had read that you could get a free one from Comcast if you asked for it, but it would be the smaller 8 hr battery. I chose to get this one from Amazon for 16.99 + S+H. It lists for something like $60. It arrived new, as advertised. I installed it during the process of swapping in the new modem and all went well. All the pertinent battery info shows up using the modem's admin webpage and (a few days later) it shows as 100% charged and 860 minutes (~14.5 hrs). So I'm good to go. BTW, I've seen a lot of people saying you should buy your own modem rather than rent. Maybe if I didn't have the VOIP, but these telephony modems are very expensive now. I've had to replace various modems and routers in the past. If you do the calculations, don't forget to include the possibility of buying a replacement down the road. Be sure to see what that does to your return on investment before you sink all that money into it.