Published 10 months ago by Jason P. Baxter

3.0 out of 5 stars poor range and unable to enable bridge mode
Published 8 months ago by Barbara, Oakland CA

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well as a Docsis 3.0 Modem, Router and EMTA. Read for tips, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Arris TG862G DOCSIS 3.0 Residential Gateway with 802.11n, 4 Port Router and 2 Voice Lines (Electronics)
First off I do not recommend buying this device because it has wifi built in, plan on using your own wifi router/access point. I had no plans on using the wifi built into the device and after testing it I reconfirmed my decision. Test results were poor compared to my 2 yr old Dlink N300 router. "see below for details on disabling the Wifi or putting into bridge mode". I have this device installed in a telco closet which houses all of my home wiring to a central location. I use the built in router of this device to broadcast DHCP to my devices on my LAN, it works well for this. It does have 4 GigPorts which was a must for me. I also use 2 Gigabit switches and a Dlink Wireless Router "in Bridge Mode, which disables DHCP" in my setup all located in different parts of the house and the Arris device plays well with all, plug and play.

The main reason I purchased this device was to upgrade from a Cisco Docsis 2.0 modem and to return a rented Arris EMTA for voice service that I was being billed for. This device gives me both in one box for simplicity, power savings and greater Internet speeds. I have the Comcast Blast plan and was getting around 25MB to 30MB down/5MB to 7MB up before upgrading, now with Docsis 3.0 I see consistent 50MB to 57MB down/9MB to 12MB up. This to me is a no brainer if you are in the same position to make this change.

Lastly, activating this device was very simple or would have been if I reset the device before hand "I bought mine used on Amazon". I had to make a few extra calls to activate it, all went well after I was instructed to hold the rest button in for 20 seconds. I was online with internet and phone 5 minutes later. MY MAJOR ISSUE with activating this device was getting the Wifi turned off. I did not want another wifi signal "SSID" being transmitted in the house and wanted to conserve power and heat from the device. Because this device is a Gateway and touches the Comcast network they have full control over the advanced options of this device. When you login to the router through browser "10.0.0.1" the advanced tab is blocked off for consumer access, this is how you change the wifi and router options such as putting the device into bridge mode. I called at least 7 times for Comcast to turn off the Wifi but NO ONE was able to help do it. I believe this came down to the device not being tide to an outlet for the changes. <<<<<<TIP>>>>>>Before I could get someone to help with that I figured out that if I disconnected the COAX cable from the modem I could login to the Router settings without restrictions in the advanced tab, make my changes and save then reconnect everything. After reconnecting the coax line everything worked perfect and the wifi was turned off. I would recommend advanced users to do this on there own before connecting the coax and contacting Comcast to activate. It will save you time and frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm and easy 10 minute online activation., November 23, 2013
I was tired of renting the cable modem from Comcast for eight bucks a month. Decided to purchase the Arris modem (used) for ninety dollars on Amazon (it would pay for itself in 9-10 months). It arrived very quickly with power/network/phone cables and built-in backup battery. Unplug coax and cat-5 cables from the old Cisco 2100 cable modem and placed them on the Arris modem. I connected my laptop directly to one of the 4 ports on the Arris modem and the first internet page to pop up was for on-line activation with Comcast in ABQ, NM. It took about 10 minutes from start to finish and I was back up on the internet.

This modem has wireless-n and it was very simple to input the IP address (10.0.0.1) in chrome, UserID (admin), and password (password). I made sure to update the admin password, change the SSID, and change the wireless key to something I can remember. I already had a D-link wireless-n router in place with a stronger external antenna. I will use the Arris wireless as back-up if my D-link ever dies. Once I connected the cat-5 cable from my D-link to the Arris and I had wireless internet again to my laptop, printers, iPhones, Roku, and PS3.

3.0 out of 5 stars poor range and unable to enable bridge mode, June 12, 2014
This modem/router was purchased to use instead of renting one from Comcast. Unfortunately the router's range is very poor so I had to extend with another router. That's when the problems began with Comcast. After many hours both on the phone and on chat, Comcast was unable to bridge this gateway. A call to Arris finally revealed that Comcast had downloaded the software for the CT model and this one is a NA model. The CT software doesn't allow Comcast to access the page to enable bridge mode (at least that's my understanding). I ended up establishing a WAP with my 3rd party router and established a reserved DHCP and that's worked for my situation ( I had lots of dead spots). I was " forced" to purchase a combined modem router since I have phone and internet and this particular gateway is "approved" by Comcast. If you don't need the telephony, I would recommend that you purchase a separate modern and router.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a piece of junk! Having just moved to ..., August 12, 2014
Joan K. Baldwin (Gig Harbor, WA, US) - See all my reviews
What a piece of junk! Having just moved to Hilo HI, I signed on to Oceanic Time Warner Cable, now part of Comcast. Their technician cautioned me that the Arris TG862G modem/router he installed has only a vestigial WiFi, boy was he right. Rather than bridge the modem with a third party WiFi, I purchased an extender. The Arris will not even deliver the Internet from ten feet away. Renting this junk product drives me mad. I'll be replacing it as soon as possible. I'm only sorry that Comcast has a monopoly and can get away with foisting this junk onto the public. In my humble opinion, anyone who buys one of these is wasting $200.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good product, but the wireless stops working sometimes, January 27, 2013
Adam Bragg (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
I am for the most part happy with this device. It is supported by Comcast was a snap to set up. The dual RJ11 connectors and 4 RJ45 connections are pretty great. My one big complaint is that the wireless fails about once a week and I have to reboot the modem. This is has to be done by logging into the device b/c of that fact that there is a battery in the modem, so you can't simply unplug to reset.

Given the choices that I had, I'd probably purchase the Arris again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 3, 2013
Works fantastic w/Xfinity triple play. Installation was completed by Comcast. The backup battery sold me on this product Dual phone line connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arris TG862G, June 6, 2013
Comcast did a great job of hooking up the box. They did every thing over the phone. Everything works. Have not had any problems with the wireless part. Just had to put in password into all wireless equipment. Password can be found on the back panel of the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor speed, August 17, 2013
It always shows you good connection, full bars, but you just cannot stream videos from Netflix or sites alike. Very frustrating. I have to reboot it on daily basis. Hate it.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are going to use for wireless internet DO NOT BUY., December 12, 2014
If I could I would give it 0 stars. Signed up with TWC about a month ago for their 100 down and 5 up plan because I need good internet for work, school and entertainment. The installation process was a nightmare, I was told that the process would take less than 30 minutes because the house was pre-wired. The total time it took the guy was 4 hours and 30 minutes. After drilling holes in my attic and breaking some wall outlets he finally said that he can't make the cord run through the walls so now I have this cord running through my whole house... But this isn't a review about that. My main reason for giving this one star is that if you plan on using wireless internet (My Ethernet port is broken on my pc therefore making me use my wireless card) its unusable. I dissconnect from the internet as frequent as 30 seconds all the way up to 40 minute intervals. The connection is gone from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. I have called TWC over 8 times in the last 3 days because I am so fed up with paying for good internet but not even being able to use it... They REFUSE to acknowledge all the bad reviews and complaints about the disconnecting, instead they go "Well lets take a look at the modem settings." Then they say "Well I am having trouble connecting to your modem." I just can't believe I pay 10 bucks extra a month just to use this pile of junk. Then they try and act like "Oh it has to be the settings." What a joke this thing is. If you are thinking about getting this modem for wireless connection PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH SO YOU DON'T END UP LIKE ME PISSED OFF AND WITHOUT INTERNET.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arris Gateway, November 9, 2012
We needed a gateway that was compatible with Comcast service which included the phone capabilities. The Arris is working great and installation and setting up computers was relatively painless. It was purchased through Amazon.com and arrived in a reasonable amount of time.

Arris TG862G DOCSIS 3.0 Residential Gateway with