5.0 out of 5 stars Take back your cable bill!
Published on September 3, 2011 by Michael K. Grovenor

3.0 out of 5 stars May not work with Comcast if bought from SS Deals
Published on November 11, 2011 by Debra A. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Take back your cable bill!, September 3, 2011
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
OK here's the easy-as-pie math for this review. Comcast charges me $7/mo to rent the model number just before this one. I got the TM502G from Comcast when we moved here in June 2011. I paid $49.95 delivered for the TM602G, spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Comcast Technical Support and voila'! I no longer pay $7/mo for their unit which I returned promptly. So the math is obvious I guess. In 7 months it will be paid for and we will have the service for many more than 7 months to come. If it lasts until I have to upgrade I'll save a bundle on rental fees!

The unit itself is a bit big but stands or lays flat. It serves as a cable internet and cable telephone modem all in one. If the power goes out during a storm etc... you still have phone thanks to the battery backup in the base of the unit but no internet will be available until power is restored. Before I called Comcast and attached it to my account I did my usual overnight charge test. I then let it sit unplugged and some of the lights stayed on for 2 full days. A week or so later we lost power for about 3 hours in a storm and the phone did indeed work so the TM602G does what it promises. The call quality is crystal on all our phones too.

Anyone who pays a rental fee to their cable company for the equipment should just buy their own. They don't even try to scare you anymore with the "if it breaks we don't cover it" card they used to play. Equipment is so cheap it doesn't make sense to rent these things. The only negative I have is that this is not a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. Most all the cable companies are going to be offereing super fast DOCSIS 3.0 services and a newer modem is needed to take advantage. I do believe that Arris has a newer model that is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant but it's about $150 right now and my Comcast in Grand Rapids, MI does not have the DOCSIS 3.0 fiber lines up and running yet...slackers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Comcast, Saves Money!, March 21, 2012
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
I already had this modem, however, Comcast charges $7.50 to lease it. You may not know, but if you look closely on your bill, you are being charged every month for it. This one does work with Comcast. Just follow the instructions that come with it.
1. Plug in Cable
2. Plug in Power
3. Once all lights are on, put in the ethernet cable
4. Put in Telephone cord
5. Open browser and a comcast page will appear
6. just enter your phone number and account number.
7. DONE! Took 3 minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars May not work with Comcast if bought from SS Deals, November 11, 2011
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
First, I did not have an opportunity to use the modem that I purchased from SS Deals, because it was still showing up in Comcast's system as being leased by someone else. When I contacted the seller via Amazon email they never responded. I am disappointed in both the vendor and Amazon. So, I am giving the product three stars so that I don't bring down its overall rating, but can let others know about what happened to me. Please don't flame me, because I never used the modem.

The vendor is selling the same items on a well known auction site, and the listing clearly states that the modem may not work with Comcast. However, they make no mention of it on the marketplace product site. Although Amazon fulfilled the order, they have no control over the quality of the merchandise that vendors supply to the fulfillment center. Amazon did process the return and refund very promptly, but they should be more diligent in vetting vendors before agreeing to fulfill their orders. Vendors should be required to provide any information regarding the ability of the item to function as the product is intended to be used.

I ended up going to Best Buy, and was lucky to find that it carried the TM722G for $149+tax. This is the only Comcast compatible EMTA modem that is officially available for consumer purchase. You do not need to have a technician come out to your home to do the swap, but there is a $5 fee that Comcast charges for the equipment change. Please note that when you call Comcast to swap out your leased modem for your own that you need to have the phone number activated on the new modem. Some of the reps don't know this, and will incorrectly tell you that the TM722G is an Internet only modem. Just insist that they transfer you to the telephone activations department.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let Comcast tell you "NO", April 3, 2012
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
This Modem WILL work with Comcast, both the internet and phone service! Do not use 1-800-COMCAST to get it set up. They will tell you "You can only use the TM722 modem from Best Buy to get your phone service through a self owned modem." That is untrue. The live chat technicians can work with you to get this modem registered with their system (Search "chat" in the help section of Comcast's website). It took me two chat sessions to get mine fully functional. The first tech got the internet functional. She said the phone would take up to 24 hrs to become active, but it didn't. I used the chat system to contact them again and the tech transfered me to the phone activation department, who after registering the MTA-MAC address, got the phone line activated.

I hope this helps someone. Don't let them tell you "NO"!

3.0 out of 5 stars The product is great, but is it worth buying?, May 22, 2013
RbnsReviews (FL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
How do I rate the product? Good enough that I decided to purchase one instead of renting it from Comcast. I'd already paid 2 years of rent to Comcast, why not own it, right? Here is what I have learned since purchasing this telephony modem.

FIRST & FOREMOST: Arris and other Comcast approved manufacturers of telephony modems only sell to the cable companies or the cable companies' contracted vendors such as Best Buy. (http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/index.asp) What does that mean? Anyone who is selling this product online is not an authorized seller, so it's a roll of the dice, so BE FOREWARNED! Know that you have no recourse if the product is defective during the first year. You can't register it with the manufacturer...there is no warranty(good argument for renting, the cable company has to replace the modem).

SECOND LESSON: Working with Comcast to activate the modem will be a nightmare and many reviewers stated so! These are just a few of the things I learned while trying to work with Comcast to activate my own modem.

Please know I researched this product and read most of the reviews. Most praised the product but also told horror stories about working with Comcast. The ones who were successful, ended up using Comcast's online support and I eventually did as well... (https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/).

I contacted Comcast over the phone several times to install my new modem and got no help. Four different telephone support technicians told me I couldn't use the modem I purchased, even though it was the same as the one I rented. They told me that there was an approved list of modems and it wasn't on the list (IT WAS.) They told me I had to buy a Comcast-approved modem at Best-Buy, but after calling my local Best Buy and finding out they do not carry them, I called Comcast back and they confirmed that there were limited stores in Florida that carry the modems. What I have realized to be true is that the telephone techs have been trained to tell you any modem that isn't rented won't work with their system and they will not help you. In my humble opinion this seems like a monopoly to me...but that's just me.

So after my initial frustration with Comcast, I contacted the seller, reboxed everything and was ready to ship it back. Reason for the return: did not work with Comcast and there were missing parts that the manufacturer lists as being in the package (Arris video listing packaging: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb_nqDlBUjk). The seller approved the return, at my expense and also noted that nothing was missing, that what he sent was how Arris packaged the modem. (After research, I realized he is not a vendor for Arris and have to wonder where these people buy this equipment...)

Before returning it, I re-read the owners' reviews again and decided to try contacting Comcast's online support because the successful owners stated this was how they were able to get the modem activated and working on Comcast (https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/).

After nearly 5 hours of working with Comcast's online support, I was successful in having it activated. If you choose this route, here are the things I learned and may help you before going through the process.
1. Make sure you have another internet connection that does not work with your current COMCAST modem. You will be disconnected from the Internet many times while they try to activate your modem and you won't have a way to communicate with them. Offer them your cell phone #.
2. Copy and paste into a doc, all the transcript notes with the technicians. This will help when you lose connection with one tech, reconnect with another tech, and you can accurately tell them what previously transpired. The techs don't have access to your previous online chats...
3. The first technician you chat with will ask for all the modem's info, like serial numbers and mac addresses. He will not be able to activate the modem until he transfers you to billing so they can change your modem from leased to owned. Billing will ask you for the s/n and mac addresses and add the modem to your account. They will then transfer you back to a tech and then the real activation process will begin.
4. Offer to give the tech your cell phone # in case you are disconnected. Remember your Comcast phone won't work while you're changing modems. The tech who completed the process to activate our phone was kind enough to ask me for it. And she called me when we got disconnected.

THE COMCAST ONLINE SUPPORT TEAM are Angels and will bend over backwards to help you if you have the patience to go through this process. Make sure you take the survey and let Comcast know how much you appreciate them. I hope to never have to work with Comcast's telephone support again!

Two things I wish I'd known? 1. RESET your router after your modem is activated... http://10.0.0.1 -- normally the username and password is "admin" and "password." 2. To get the phone working you need to give the tech your MTA MAC #...all the ports in the back of your modem have addresses and your phone won't work until they have the MTA number.

If you read a review that says the installation/activation was easy, question it. There is no way someone is going to install this product with ease.

If I have a hard time returning the old modem to Comcast, I'll let you know. If you decide to buy this modem, Good luck!

***And the Xfinity/Comcast Service Center clerk took the modem, scanned the back, printed a receipt had me sign and gave me a copy. No problems returning it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money you'll save from Comcast's rental fee, March 9, 2011
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
It's the same model as the one distributed in MA by Comcast so should work and for me with little hassle. The only hassle was that I had to call both Comcast Internet and Voice in order to activate the ethernet and telephone plugs on the modem. Tried to get the TM402P I also got from Amazon and it wouldn't connect without a Comcast technician coming over (for $30). Anyway this eMTA is lighter than the Scientific Atlanta or that other Arris model and in my opinion looks better (sleek and not boxy). The technician that came over to set up the Comcast provided TM602G told me that they were having problems with the scientic atlantas (didn't tell me what, but bought this since it's the same one the technician gave me).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice replacement for my Comcast VoIP rental router., October 27, 2011
NJEMT (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
Like others, I am paying Comcast a $7.00 monthly rental fee for the Arris TM602G/CT modem. In Hunterdon County, NJ, Comcast supplies two separate modems for Internet service and VoIP service. I own my own Internet service modem, and I wanted to do the same with my VoIP modem as well. I bought my Arris TM602G here on Amazon from State Street Sales, it is used (but was in like new condition) but was packaged adequately. In less than 10 minutes, Comcast technical support provisioned my modem, and in four hours, transferred the connection from my rental to my new (used) modem, without a hitch. Obviously, I can't comment how the used modem will hold up over time, but I do intend to update this review in a couple of months, or early 2012.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Warner Cable (TWC) and a modem, November 24, 2012
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
This story lasted 7 1/2 hours on the phone with TWC. So I will share the short version. I was trying to save four dollars a month since TWC is now renting youTHEIR modem. With out this you can not receive THEIR product. I read the reviews on the modem, some were excellent and then there is always the guy who hates everything. Well two things I don't like:
1. TWC. They did not explain the offering of purchasing a modem and installing it yourself. I found that because I have telephone, cable and internet it would require me to have two modems. After dealing with TWC ON THE PHONE FOR 41/2 HOURS I decided it was to much effort and the representatives had no indication what to do. I disconnected the purchased modem and reconnected TWC modem. I should say I am familar with this type of electronics to do it myself. Four hours later after they passed me along to every level of technican I was ready to bite someone. I finally got a series three tech and she was on the phone with me for about three minutes, she then said we will send a tech to your house in morning. It was 0430 in the morning then. Ten o'clock the tech arrived and I gave him my 5 minute fix this please. As of then I had no phone, no internet, my alarm system was inop and all this was working properly until the switch. The tech was at my house for 10 minutes and said your system is fixed up and running. The PROBLEM. TWC was still working on the sytem with two modems installed, this is after asking me to disconnect the purchased modem. The tech advised me that who ever was working in my computer (adminstrative control) screwed a lot of stuff up and did not leave proper notes and everyone was working off of his report.
2. The modem came without a battery installed, either I missed this or the seller did not list. Not to worry, they accepted the modem and credited me immediately. No problems.
3. I was trying to save a few dollars, it was not worth my time or aggravation. I asked TWC why don't you just sell me the modem I have had for 6 years?.....still waiting for an answer. Buyer Beware. Its not always the seller in this case it was the company providing the servce. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hopefully I will have saved you some if any aggravation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, June 25, 2012
moon (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
This modem replaced the exact same model I have been renting from Comcast, though I got it from a different vendor for much cheaper ($45 refurb) than the current price ($190 new) here which seems incredibly steep! In 6.5 months it will be paid for via no Comcast rental fee. What took me so long to do this?

I followed the recommendation of others and used Comcast online support vs voice. At first I was concerned when the rep said he had to check if the modem could be used w/ Comcast service. Told him it could, I had been told that by Comcast, and he asked for numbers (serial, MTA MAC, and one of the others). It took a couple of tries, verifying the model, doing telephone resets on his end, then a reset on mine, then it was a wrap. It took maybe 30-45 min, but a less painful wait than when holding on voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buying a Comcast Compatible modem, February 23, 2012
Phil Marquis (Aurora, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem (Electronics)
I recently switched to Comcast and hadn't wanted to pay an additional $7.00 per month for modem rental, so I decided to buy my own. New compatible Arris TM 722g modems seemed impossible to find, and were expensive. I decided to look for used units. Here's what I did:
1. Go to mydeviceinfo.Comcast.net to determine which Modems are compatible with the service I have. Comcast informed me that I was at the "Performance" level on this page.
2. I then went to Amazon.com to see what I could find. I found an Arris TM 602G, which works for me, as I have both Voice & Internet. Comcast advised that I ask the seller to provide CMAC & EMAC numbers on the specific modem to verify the seller has a modem not on their list of missing modems.
3. As I also have other Wi-Fi needs, I needed to purchase my own router. If you no longer use the Comcast modem, there's a $15.00 per month charge for their router.
4. After verifying the modem wasn't on the Comcast watch list, I asked the seller to hold the specific modem with my name until I placed the order.
5. After receiving the modem, I called Comcast, provided the applicable CMAC & EMAC numbers, and requested activation. They were a lot of help.
6. As I purchased a Netgear N150 router from Wal-Mart, (the same model I got from Comcast) Wal-Mart customers get free support from Netgear to activate a router.
7. The used modem (Arris 602G) cost was $55.00 including shipping, and the Netgear Router cost was $40 at a local Wal-Mart. Instead of paying $7.00 per month to rent, it will now take me a little over 13 months to begin saving. I plan on staying with Comcast longer than that, so for me it was worth the work.

ARRIS TM602G Telephony Modem