5.0 out of 5 stars Arris Cable Modem
Purchased this to replace a Motorola SB6120 that was giving me trouble. Was getting 15Mb download and .3Mb upload speeds with the Motorola. After installing the Arris I am now getting 25Mb download and 4Mb upload speeds using Comcast.
Published on March 27, 2012 by mooncycles

Hi everyone. Most likely you're having these problems because of a FIRMWARE PROBLEM. If you're modem is resetting, has the DS/US lights flashing when they are green, intermittent modem connectivity, you have old the old buggy bad 2009 firmware.

Log into your Arris modem using 192.168.100.1, and click on the HW/SW Versions tab.

You want this firmware...
Published 9 months ago by Michael James

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you having modem resets? you have a FIRMWARE PROBLEM that needs to be Updated, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Arris WBM760A Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Personal Computers)

You want this firmware update:
Firmware Name: TS070463A_011312_WBM760_CM820
Firmware Build Time: Fri Jan 13 19:49:52 EST 2012

NOT this one:
Firmware Name: WBM030248_111709_MODEL_7
Firmware Build Time: Tue Nov 17 19:09:33 EST 2009

Write to ComcastTuska for a firmware update. He will do it for you in a few days or less (sometimes the same day). As a Comcast customer, create a forum account (easy to do) and login and write to him.

You can do it here: [...]

You will need to provide your CMAC address to him. DO NOT give this number out to anyone except him or an authorized Comcast technician. This number is your hardware number for your modem, and it should be treated like a Social Security number.

You can see the forum of this issue on Comcast's website here:
[...]

There is a glitch in the 2009 firmware whereas it cannot update on its own, but needs manual intervention. This is a three star rated modem by Comcast. [...] It is a very good stable modem once the problem is fixed, I can assure you.

This problem is very easy to fix once you know what to do.

Best regards,
Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Arris Cable Modem, March 27, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Connects well, if only it stays so - Firmware updates trap -Updated, October 4, 2013
See my edit below - I added a star as promised, as it has been stable for over a month, now that firmware has been updated

I had to immediately drop two stars - here's why:

My router arrived as promised (go Amazon), and was very easy to connect (Ethernet-check, Coax-check, Power-check and on). My router recognized without a problem. Comcast - connected. Well, almost. I had to do the self activation thing on-line (for which I had to change my DNS settings to Comcast's DNS). Comcast had to manually add the modem to my account (there goes an hour of my life), of course the Tech on the line asks for the wrong mac address, escalates me to the wrong department, call gets dropped.... you get the idea). Finally called back, talked to an informed individual, got the CMAC address corrected, and off we go. Internet is up and running, speed is as ordered, life is good.

Two hours later - modem drops connection. A minute or so later, it comes back. Well, I think to myself, maybe noise or something, we'll give it a day. Next day, the same thing happens twice or three times. Now I'm not so happy. Started to look around. I'll save you the long story and tell you that failure occurred when the modem was trying to initiate a firmware update. And here's why I'm dropping two stars, and will also do so on seller feedback. Modem shipped with FW from 2009. It was so old, it could not be updated to current FW without human intervention (remember, we're talking Comcast here). I have found no way to download current (or even intermediate) FW directly so I can update. Must be done through carrier. Luckily with some searching found a direct go to guy on their forums and the FW was updated to current version.

I suspect and hope that this will be end of the saga, and if so, I'll come back and add another star.

Moral of the story - the HW seems good. The speeds are solid, and overall it syncs and works well. However, first thing you should do is check the FW version, and contact your cable provider if it's earlier than 2011. To get info from your modem type in 192.168.100.1 in your browser.

It's been over a month since Comcast manually initiated FW update. It had to cycle through a couple of updates to get current, and process took only a few minutes. Since then, this modem has been solid. If not for the hassle of having to locate the right person at Comcast and have them manually push FW, I would give it 5 stars. For finding the right contact, see my answers to other's questions here, or search the Comcast support forum for "WBM760A firmware update".

5.0 out of 5 stars Problems at first, Quickly solved, June 14, 2012
So I need to say first off I bought this Modem for my new comcast service installation. Before I had used the rental modems at several other places but noted that my best internet speed was always with the Aris modem I had rented from comcast originally. I did the math and determined that in the long run buying my own modem was cheaper than a rental, plus I could take it with me when I moved. (College student) so I had used speedtest to see that although I was paying for a 25mb/s connection I was getting nowhere near that speed with the previous qwest and comcast modems. I was not happy at all. Immediatley upon installation I ran a speedtest and found that with my 25mb/s connection I was getting 40mb/s download and 25mb/s upload. This is AMAZING compared to the 12mb/s download and 6mb/s upload I was getting with my previous modems..

Now the bad, This guy was a pain to install. I do network management and computer repair and have installed dozens of modems/router setups. this guy just did not want to connect to comcast. I had initially had it installed next to my TV then within a few hours wanted it directly hooked to my router and desktop in the next room over. upon unplugging it and running a line over to the next room I had hours worth of trying everything from resetting all of these devices and troubleshooting.

I eventually just left it unplugged for an hour or so as I was about to return the item as I feared it was defective. Upon my return I replugged the entire setup into my network and it immediately connected to comcast as It should. I can't say this is optimum for any piece of hardware but I am happy with my new device and internet speed. I can stream Movies and the such while playing Counterstrike with no drop in bandwidth OR lag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great modem if your tired of paying for a Comcast rental.., September 25, 2012
I'm a recent Comcast customer who started out with a Comcast modem rental. Not wanting to pay the $7 per month plus tax, I bought this one, which is exactly the same make and model as the rental. It has performed seamlessly after the call to activate it. I highly recommend this modem for this purpose!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work properly with Comcast, April 27, 2013
Refrain from buying this device. I bought two earlier this month just to find myself having intermittent connection issues in both locations. I tracked those issues down to Comcast being unable to properly update the firmware of this modem. You can visit [...] for more details about the issue. I went and bought a Motorola SB6141 instead and everything worked just fine from the get go. What a headache!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great modem BUT Comcast Customers will need a manual update - PLEASE READ!, December 3, 2013
Amazon Customer (Oak Forest, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Very happy with this modem with the exception that many other Comcast customers have experienced. Would have rated 5 stars if not for the experience as it was a hassle. COMCAST USERS PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU READ!!!

Modem arrived quickly and in brand new condition; contained all parts in the box.
I connected all of my equipment prior to my Comcast appointment and waited patiently and with excitement!
Comcast came and set me up, and all was working.
Several hours later, the connection dropped. A reboot of the modem fixed the issue, but only temporarily. Like other Comcast customers had experienced, the modem worked intermittently. I was unable to pinpoint a time frame for which the modem would stop working, however did notice in the modem logs that the software was attempting to update. I didn't think too much of this, and assumed it was a Comcast issue, and after several days of this occurring, contacted Comcast. They sent out a technician, who checked the lines and the building wiring for the apartment complex, and he found nothing wrong. While he was here for the appointment, I decided to read some of the reviews for the modem, and found the solution. Comcast phone reps CANNOT fix this issue, and if they send a technician out, he/she will just offer you a leased modem.

Here is what you need to do:
Visit the Comcast forums, register, and send a private message to the Comcast employee listed in this post with your CMAC address: [...] - without doing so, this modem will not function properly. Your CMAC address is on the sticker on the bottom of your modem. The Comcast employee is great about getting this done for you. If you don't want to go through this trouble, don't buy this modem. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will help to the best of my ability.

Since the firmware has been updated, this modem works like a charm. Get fantastic speeds and very reliable connectivity. Prior to the upgrade this was not so. This modem ships with a very old firmware version (2009), and must be manually updated. You can check the firmware version by accessing the webpage for the modem in your internet browser - just type in the URL line 192.168.100.1, then click on the HW/FW Versions tab, the current firmware version date is the very last line on the page. If it shows as 2009, you will need to follow the process described here. I tried to make it as convenient as possible so that you don't have to go through as much trouble as I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but make sure Comcast upgrades the firmware to the latest, November 7, 2013
This modem seems to work fine now that Comcast went in and upgraded the firmware. Initially it failed every 2-3 hours. I did not realize when I bought this it was built in 2009 so even though it is still supported by Comcast it needs the latest greatest firmware downloaded to it and only Comcast can perform the upgrade. Give the reasonable price and fact that Comcast has raised it rental rates it still is cost effective to buy this and not pay the rental fees. I did a speed test before and after replacing my Comcast rental and the speed is same and if not slightly faster. I had to go to Comcast support forums to get firmware updated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but trouble, July 25, 2013
I bought this for use on Comcast 50mbit/10mbit service. Plugged it in, and left it sit for a few minutes to get settled.

Right away, I noticed trouble. It would reset every few minutes, making the Comcast activation flow very difficult to get through in time. Eventually, after half an hour of trying, it stayed up for a whole half hour that let me get online.

Even after that it, it reset every once in a while. The lights were blinking indicating a firmware update, but after each reset, the firmware version stayed the same in the config page, so I assume this is all related to a bad firmware update process.

Went down to Fry's this afternoon and replaced with a SURFboard SD6141, which is working perfectly.

Information from webUI:

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Touchstone WideBand Cable Modem
HW_REV: 3
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.25
SW_REV: 3.2.48
MODEL: WBM760A
Serial Number: ABRBPA48B389012
Options:
Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name: WBM030248_111709_MODEL_7
Firmware Build Time: Tue Nov 17 19:09:33 EST 2009

Note the very old firmware build time. The Internet seems to indicate there are updated versions, so you may have more luck, but seeing as how the user can't upgrade their firmware, instead relying on comcast to do so, this product was dead in the water for me.

Returning it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible - Comcast subscribers should ignore Comcast's website and NOT buy this modem!, August 4, 2013
We have just suffered through the same experience as previous reviewers. We discovered that our purchased modem is not compatible with Comcast. The symptoms: it works great when it works but it goes down several times a day as it searches vainly for updates that Comcast doesn't supply.

I blame Comcast more than I blame Arris. This exact modem is on Comcast's list of approved modems ( [...] ) but Comcast is unable or unwilling to update the firmware.

We discovered this problem a few days after the one-month return expired after having Comcast techs out several times.

It appears that the Comcast tech reps are also unaware of the problem. On several visits various reps have checked internal, external, and neighborhood fittings and replaced the cable running into our house. Our Internet worked great during their visits and it was only when I logged 15 outages over a period of a few days that they started to comprehend the problem.

Yesterday the tech who arrived to rent us another modem told us "we only use this Arris model on commercial installations," and shrugged (we like to think sympathetically) when we told him it was on Comcast's approved list.

This Comcast-supplied modem is a Cisco and it isn't as quick as the Arris; however, it hasn't stalled.

What complicated our situation is that there have been major problems in our area which have only recently been resolved. A Comcast phone rep suggested we get a newer modem. We drove to our closest Comcast outlet, about 20 miles away, and were issued a modem that didn't work. A tech brought us a replacement after the weekend. We then discovered that we were paying $7 monthly to rent the modem, taking us back to the days of Ma Bell and having to rent telephones. At that point we decided to buy our own modem but Comcast's website foiled our plan.

Is this is a sinister plot by Comcast to dissuade customers from buying their own modems or is it simple incompetence? I'm inclined toward the latter, but either way it's most annoying.

In closing, I'm writing this as a public service to warn other Comcast customers away from this model.

Arris WBM760A Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem