nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more

on July 15, 2014
Hi,

This is my review of the HooToo HT-CT01 40W 4-Port Charging Station w/ OTG USB Access Function. I was provided a sample by the manufacturer to give my personal evaluation and opinion.

My Initial Impressions

7.8A total output is impressive for this current date and time of available wall chargers. This is 2.4A for tablets, and 1.5A for smartphones.

I previously evaluated the RAVPower Bolt that was a similar featured wall charger and it had a total output of 6.2A (2.1A for tablets, and 1A for smartphones). They currently both have the same sales price of $19.99. But the extra with the HooToo HT-CT01 is that it has an OTG port which is a new feature for the price range of these wall chargers.

** NOTE: It's important to read the Amazon Product Page and User Manual before using this product.

There's 2 ports labeled SMART. What that really means is that it can charge most tablets and smartphones. My iPad Air OEM charger is 2.4A and this HooToo port matches the OEM current output, so that's great. The ports labeled iPhone and Android each take 1.5A total output. Do not let the labels fool you. You can charge any smart phone, cell phone, or bluetooth keyboard with these ports. I contacted HooToo support and mentioned they should change the naming convention on the wall charger labels to not confuse people. In the end, it's 2 ports that are 2.4A MAX and 2 ports that are 1.5A MAX.

Something nice to note is that all ports have an intelligent chipset that allows it to auto adjust the current to devices plugged in. So for example, if you have a device that takes 1A current output and you plug it in the 1.5A port, the port will draw only 1A current to the device. Similarly, if you plug that same device to a 2.4A port, the port will draw only 1A current to the device, so you do not have to worry about it overcharging past the limits of the electronic devices.

During my first test charging devices, I charged 2 cell phones, and 1 bluetooth keyboard. I checked on them about 20 minutes later and to my surprise, holding the CT-01 is comfortable. It didn’t feel hot like the last wall charger I evaluated.

However, during my next test charging devices, I charged an iPad Air, iPad 2, and two cell phones, which nearly maxed the total current output, and when I came back to check on it 20 minutes later, I felt the top and bottom of the wall charger get very hot to where it wasn't comfortable to hold and grip. It concerned me at first, but I asked HooToo support and found out that it is recommended to let the device cool down for 10-15 minutes after unplugging. The lifeline of the device will not be shortened due to this observation of continuous usage.

It is possible to charge 4 smartphones simultaneously across all 4 ports of this wall charger since they would be at or below the MAX current for each port. However, it is not recommended to charge 4 tablets simultaneously as it can damage the product. If you have more than 2 tablets at home, I suggest you buying 2 of these units to share in the family household.

You can charge iPhone, Android, and Windows Phones to the 2 ports labels "iPhone" and "Android" interchangeably. What matters is the 1.5A specification for those ports.

A mistake that I made was that I was not aware that this product's OTG function is not compatible with Apple devices. It only works on Android devices currently, so when I connected my iPad Air using the lightning cable to the OTG port and used a USB flash drive or hard drive, nothing happened when connected. This is by current design. I hope future models have support for Apple devices.

This product does have a "short circuit, overcharge protection and surge protection" built in to protect devices while charging. It is not stated in the User Manual, but I asked this from HooToo support and got the verification. I'm glad HooToo cares about safety when designing its products.

Suggestions:

1) I think it would be better if the ports were labeled with the Amps for the more technical people who understand their devices. It makes it strange because why are the 2.4A ports labeled “Smart” and the 1.5A ports” not also labeled “Smart”?

It makes people unsure which port to plug in bluetooth speakers, headsets, and external battery packs. This is not mentioned in the user manual. I can understand a product’s current requirement, but it may not be very universally understood for other users looking at the naming convention of the wall charger ports.

2) When you first power on the wall charger, after a few seconds of plugging it into the wall, you’ll see the LED icon turn blue to indicate that it’s ON. What would be a nicer feature is if each port had its own light that was either colored red, yellow, or green to indicate if it’s OFF, passing current through and charging, or when the device has fully charged and no longer passes current through.

3) I suggest a ventilation system designed for this product such as a fan or heat sink to dissipate the heat quickly and during the charge process.

4) I suggest the power cord be designed to charge with a longer cord by at least 1 extra feet of distance. I had a hard time positioning this wall charger around my desk or table from the ground where my surge protector or wall outlet was because the power cord is short. If I leave the wall charger on the ground along with my electronics charged on the ground, then that's not a problem that is noticed. But, if I want to use the OTG or charge devices with the wall charger positioned on my office workstation table, I cannot wrap it from the back of my table and bring it forward because there's not enough cord length.

5) There should be mention of other electronic devices that connect via USB for charging in the User Manual, such as bluetooth keyboards, bluetooth speakers, headsets, external battery packs, and so forth. I can understand a product’s current requirement, but it may not be very universally understood for other users looking at the naming convention of the wall charger ports.

Amazon Rating:

I give this product 5 stars out of 5 stars because I'm impressed with the total current charging capacity, the competitive pricing considering the features it has including OTG, portability, and efficiency. I tested using this product on many different electronics and ran into no issues besides the product getting hot, which is normal.

Pros:

1) Fits into messenger bags and shoulder bags easily to carry around when on travel.
2) 7.8A total current output is good enough for individuals. With two of these units, a family of 3 to 5 should have enough to be sufficient.
3) Auto Intelligent smart chip makes it safe to charge devices without worrying about overcharging the electronics.
4) OTG port for Android allows connecting media to smartphones and tablets, a new feature that I've seen with wall chargers.
5) One plug used in a wall outlet around a building or house compared to 4 plugs normally used to serve the same purpose.

Cons:

1) Ideally, it would be nice to have all 4 ports capable of charging 4 tablets safely without product damage.
2) Hot product while charging and after charging needs to be resolved for better handling safety.

Audience:

This product is good for roommates, or for more than one individual, such as families of 3 and up.

This product is good for travelers who may find that there's times when only one plug is available in the wall outlets of hotels and meeting rooms

This product is good for study rooms at libraries or other places of similar type.

Thanks for reading my review and I hope that I was helpful.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2014
In a crowded market of multiport USB chargers this unit stands out due to the inclusion of an OTG port. This port allows easy hook up of vast array of usb devices to an Android smart phone, tablet or any device that supports an OTG connection. Once the connection is made the USB device can be accessed by the phone or tablet. I have both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and both units were able to access the data contained on these USB devices perfectly. 1080P movies played perfectly and without stutter. The 4 port charging ports worked well with all my devices. I successfully charged my Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Asus Win 8 Tablet, Bluetooth headset and Bluetooth Speaker without issue. The charge time/speed was equal to the speed of the OEM chargers that came with the each respective device.
As a side business, I convert wedding/party videos to 1080P MP4 videos that can play on the latest and greatest Android/Apple devices. This unit serves as my test bed for such projects. I do all conversions on my editing PC and then transfer to customers 64 gig flash drive, SD card or USB 2.5" HDD. Next step, I test final work by simply plugging in the flash/hard drive into the OTG port on this device and the Android Phone or tablet is able to see the data and play without issue. I have tested videos up to 6000 kb/sec @ 1080P and they played perfectly. The connection has been solid and error free.
I would recommend this unit without hesitation to anyone looking for a desktop OTG solution for their Android or any portable device that supports an OTG connection. The extra feature of multi port USB charging is a bonus and can keep all your devices powered up. Kudos to the manufacturer for thinking out of the box and creating a unique product that performs well and is cost effective
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Ever want to charge your device while using an OTG (on-the-go) drive? Well that is now possible, thanks to the HooToo HT-CT01 40W 4-Port USB Charging Station with OTG.

▶ Package Contents
• HT-CT01 40W 4-Port USB Charging Station with OTG
• Micro USB OTG Cable
• Power cable
• User Manual

▶ What is OTG and does my phone/tablet use it?
OTG, or “on-the-go” is a technology used for interacting with USB peripherals, such as keyboards, mice, flash drives and external hard drives. Normally, OTG connects to peripherals by micro USB 2.0 A to female USB B, but this device is unorthodox (see accessories).

Not all devices are compatible, and some devices require rooting/unlocking and third party apps. Below are tested devices that have compatibility.

• Samsung: Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, S4 Active, Note, Note 2, Note 3, Mega; Galaxy Express, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0/10.1, Galaxy Note 8.0.
• HTC: One 2013 (M7), One Max, One Mini, Desire 7060, First, One X+, Evo 4G LTE, DROID DNA.
• Motorola: Moto G, Moto X, Droid Mini, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, RAZR M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD, Xyboard 8.2" Tablet.
• Google: Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2012 Original & 2013 New), Nexus 10, Galaxy Nexus; third-party software required or device being rooted.
• Sony: Xperia Z2 Tablet 10.1, Z1, Z1 Compact, Z, Z Ultra, Tablet Z; Xperia S39h.
• LG: LG G2, Optimus G Pro; Asus: MeMO ME171, MeMO Pad FHD 10; Dell Venu 8; Lenovo K900
• Xiaomi: RedMi, 3, 2S, 2A, 2, 1S, Xiaomi Box; Huawei: X1, B199, Ascend P6, Ascend, D2, Mate; Oppo: Find 7, N1; Meizu: MX, MX2, MX3.

▶ Accessories
This device comes with one 8.6” micro USB OTG cable and one 48” two prong power cable. Normally I would complement a company for using the micro USB interface, because it is easily the most accessible in the world. However, this micro USB cable differs, because this is not only a micro USB cable, but an OTG cable as well. This means that you will never find another cable like this, and if you are like me and have a dozen micro USB cables, you will be scrambling to attach the correct one. The good news is, HooToo contacted me and realized the major design flaw they made, by making a proprietary cable. They will replace the cable for the lifetime of the product, but that doesn’t excuse HooToo from their lacking cable. The cable is literally too short to effectively use a tablet or phone. In my honest opinion, unless you are transferring files, the OTG port is useless; going against the liberating nature of OTG.

This also includes a 48” two prong power cable, which is basically the same cable used in laptop chargers. I like the choice, as it doesn’t bring an additional power brick or anything that could block other power outlets.

▶ Specifications
• Output: 7.8A Max
• Power: 39W
• Size: (L*W*H): 110*78*34mm

▶ Hardware
The device is fairly small, being 4.3” x 3” x 1.3” inches, or a little bigger length wise than a one dollar bill. On the front are four USB ports (2x 2.4A, 2x 1.5A) and an OTG port for plugging flash drives or external hard drives. The top has the HooToo logo and blue LED indicator, indicating the device is on. The back has another OTG marked port, this time to connect to your device via the proprietary OTG cable, and the two prong power cable port. The OTG port doubles as a charging port, but it isn’t marked. Albeit that this port charges at 1.5A, but that claim was never tested. I wish the ports would have been marked more clearly, because if you didn’t read the user manual then you’d never figure this out. Overall, the device is really unique, because it gives you the opportunity to charge and watch your movie from an external hard drive at the same time.

▶ Set up
Setting up OTG is fairly easy.

1. Plug included OTG cable to port named “OTG” on back of HT-CT01.
2. Plug micro USB into your compatible phone or tablet.
3. Plug external hard drive, or storage device to port named “OTG” on front of HT-CT01.

▶ Testing
I tested the OTG and charger ports with my Nexus 7 (2013), a device that has a 3950mAh battery, running Android L. As noted in the entire review, the included OTG is the only way for peripherals to work. Any other data cable or charging cable will simply not work. I was able to transfer files to and from my Silicon Power Armor A80 USB 3.0 External hard drive.

Next, I performed my fast charge test, which tests the charge time per hour. The results were as follows:

Time – Nexus 7 charge %
1:01AM – 13%
2:42AM –54%
4:04AM – 88%
4:54AM – 100%

Total Time: 3 hours 53 minutes (3.88h)

Nexus 7 Battery Size x Amount Charged = Total Charge
3950mA * (0.87) = 3436.5mAh

Total Charge / Time (hours) = Charge per Hour
3436.5mAh/3.88h = 885.7mA per hour

The charge of 885.7mA per hour is an above average result, but not by much (650-700mA per hour). These are an acceptable results.

▶ Final Thoughts
The device has several design flaws, which potentially creates frustrations, such as the OTG interface. We are, once again, looking for the greener pastures. If you are specifically looking for a powered OTG cable, also known as a Y OTG Cable, then buy it separately.

The fact that the current eight reviewers are giving this product a 5 star rating absolutely baffles me. If this product were just a charger then I’d give it a 5 star rating, however, it isn’t. Due to the OTG flaws, I take off 1.5 stars to give this product a 3.5 star rating, but due to Amazon’s reviewing policy, I am unable to give a half star, thus I gave this product a 4 star rating (although 3 stars is just as justifiable). HooToo attempted to create a revolutionary product that fell short. Would I recommend it as an OTG device? No. Do I recommend the charger? Yes.

Pros:
+ Two 2.4A ports and two 1.5A ports. Most chargers are limited to 2A and 1A.
+ Ability to charge and connect peripherals at the same time.
+ No power adapter “brick”.

Cons:
- HooToo made a proprietary and unorthodox OTG cable. Even though they would replace the cables for the lifetime of the product, the cables are lacking in length, which diminishes functionality, and potentially creates frustrations for the user.

I was provided a sample in exchange for a thorough and honest review.
on October 24, 2014
This product is a hazard. 5 minutes after plugging it in the wire completely melted. The Mophie case it was charging also melted and is unusable. After several days of phone calls and emails, the company still has not replied.
on August 20, 2014
Pros:
1: The charging ports are great, and even work with my Pebble smartwatch. So far every other wall mounted Charger in my collection has failed to work with the Pebble cable, so I am very glad that I can finally charge that without having to turn my laptop on.
2: It has amazing current!
3: The provided OTG cable would probably work really well for compatible devices
Cons:
1: It did not work at all with my Shield Tablet. There is currently an issue with the Tablet software where you cannot charge and use OTG at the same time. When I plugged my Tablet in, the battery indicator was showing that the Tablet was charging through the OTG port, which might be why it's not allowing me to use it for OTG. When they update the Tablet software to fix the issue, I will try again (and update my review).
2: The OTG port uses a proprietary cable to do OTG. The included cable is tiny, so you pretty much have to have the HooToo sitting on your lap in order to access your tablet and use the OTG. Does anyone know if you could use a USB extension cable with the OTG cable?
on August 23, 2014
If you are like me you have tons of devices that charge via USB and not enough chargers. It seems to be the norm nowadays that products no longer come with chargers. Due to this, it makes the most sense to buy a USB charger that is versatile enough to handle a multitude of different devices.

The HooToo 4-Port Charging Station with OTG model HT-CT01 is great in this regard. It has four available USB ports for charging devices. Two of the ports are smart USB ports with max amperage of 2.4A, one is a USB port labeled iPhone with max amperage of 1A and the last is a USB port labeled Andriod with max amperage of 2A. The device also has an OTG port which is only compatible with some Android devices, not compatible with IOS Apple devices.

The best thing about this Charging Station is the smart USB charging ports. Smart USB ports are able to detect the correct output voltage and output that amperage up to the max in this case of 2.4A. Other word if you plug in your iPhone 4s which charges at a max of 1A the USB port will output 1A, if you plug in a Samsung Tablet which charges at a max of 2.4A the USB port will output 2.4A. Of course you can charge a Samsung Tablet in a port with 1A output but it will take drastically longer to full charge. This device also has over-charge protection, surge protection and short circuit protection.

Overall this is a great device for traveling or just leaving in the house. It is dual voltage and able to do both 110v/220v which comes in handy when traveling. It has built-in circuit protection, doesn't overheat and has 4 ports for charging your devices. The OTG capability is an added benefit for those that are capable of utilizing that feature.

I was supplied a sample for the purpose of review.
review image review image review image
on April 10, 2015
worked for 2 days and died.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This charge base works flawlessly. I have charged a plethora of different devices with it and it worked perfectly on everything from an LG G2 to a Sony wireless head set. The OTG function works with both LG G2 and Nexus 7 2013. It is compact, easy to place anywhere that is convenient and versatile. The ONLY thing I would have like to seen is a longer OTG cable, but I was able to use a USB extention cable and accomplish what I needed.

Hootoo sent this device to me (free of charge) for an honest and unbiased review.
on July 25, 2015
7.8 Amps out of one wall outlet makes this the perfect travel charger and at this price point it’s something you shouldn’t live with out. I used to use the Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Charger but it only pushed 1A. Charging multiple devices took FORVER. Now I quickly charge my iPad, Samsung phone, external battery and Kindle off one plug.
on July 7, 2015
This HooToo 4-Port Charging Station With OTG comes with:
• HT-CT01 40W 4-Port USB Charging Station with OTG
• A Micro USB OTG Cable
• A Power Cable
• User Manual

OTG, or “on the go,” is a technology used for interacting with USB peripherals, such as keyboards, mice chips, flash/thumb drives & even external hard drives. Usually, OTG's connects to peripherals with micro USB 2.0 A to USB B, but this device is unparalleled with it's accessories.

Most android and all iPhone devices are compatible. Some devices require rooting/unlocking and third party apps. The basic, but comprehensive included instruction manual contains easy to understand instructions (the full user manual is available at HooToo.com) - including how to download and use the free third party apps.

This device comes with all the needed accessories. There is a 8.6” micro USB OTG cable (My only recommendation for improvement for this product would be a longer cable as it might enhance functionality as it is too short to effectively use my iPhone) and one 48” two prong power cable. The micro USB cable is unique, because it is not only a micro USB cable, but an OTG cable as well. Not to worry that it is a proprietary cable, as HooToo will replace the cable for the lifetime of the product. The OTG is great for transferring files.

The 48” two prong power cable, is like the cable used in laptop chargers. I like the choice, as it doesn’t bring a power brick or anything else that could block other the other power outlets.

Here are the specifications:
• Output 4 (Android): DC 5V/1.5A
• Output: 7.8A Max
• Power: 39W
• Size: (L*W*H): 110*78*34mm

Let's talk about the hardware: The device is compact at 4.3” x 3” x 1.3” inches. The front of the charger contains the 4 USB ports (2x 2.4A, 2x 1.5A) and an OTG port for your flash/thumb drives or external hard drives. The blue LED indicates the device is on. The back has another OTG marked port, this is to connect to your device via the OTG cable (included), and the two prong power cable port. By the way, this OTG port doubles as a charging port that charges at 1.5A. I would have liked to see that port marked more clearly, because you would likely need to read the manual to discover that it is a charging port as well. To me, the most beneficial thing about the OTG is that you can watch your movies or access your files on an external hard drive or flash/thumb drive while charging your devices!

Set Up OTG with Ease:
- Plug included OTG cable to port named “OTG” on back of HT-CT01.
- Plug micro USB into your phone, iPad, or tablet.
- Plug external hard drive, or flash/thumb drive into port labeled “OTG” on the front of HT-CT01.

Here is what I tested:
- I tested the OTG and charger ports with my iPhone 4S, a device that has a 3950mAh battery, running Android L. While charging my iPad mini, I was able to transfer files to and from my external hard drive, I was able to watch a movie on my charging iPad, I was able to access files on my flash/thumb drive.
- My iPhone was 100% charged in less than 3 hours.

The only potential frustration in design might be the proprietary OTG interface cable's length of 8.6". Perhaps HooToo will offer a longer cable in the future, and while HooToo offers to replace this cable if damaged, it would still be replaced with an 8.6" cable. I plugged my HooToo 4-Port Charging Station with OTG into a power strip on the floor, so the cable length did not present any frustrations for me.

I took my daughter to Savannah this weekend and we certainly enjoyed being able to charge all of our devices in one charging station, as well as, streaming movies from the external hard drive while in our hotel room during the evenings.

This product sample was provided to me in exchange for testing and providing an honest review.

Update: I have since tested this with my son's iPhone 6 and had the same experiences as previously described.