4.0 out of 5 stars Disbeliever converted

Published on April 16, 2001 by Peter

4.0 out of 5 stars Disbeliever converted, April 20, 2001
Voltron1984 (San Francisco, CA, USA, EARTH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
In 1999, I GAVE away my Journey tickets to friends when I found out that some Kenny G lookin' dude named Augeri replaced Perry. What a mistake. I missed out. Fan reactions definitely were full of jaw-drops and creative profanity following Augeri's performance. Thinking of Trial By Fire, I bought the new Arrival CD with little enthusiasm. At least the cover doesn't look like an ad for a travel package to Jamaica. Then I heard it off my 10" woofers. Man, I cranked that *&$# up to force the public to hear. That's how much I enjoyed this album. Other reviewers were right to say that it's the best since "Escape." For some reason, "Higher Places" reminded me of Van Halen's "Top of the World". The rock element in Journey has finally surfaced. Van Halen was fortunate to have Sammy Hagar who already made it big as a solo. Journey has a harder road because Augeri is still a no-namer, but have a real chance of restoring itself as a true rock band, something founder Rolie wouldn't mind at all. Bottomline, Arrival is great for Journey fans who can focus appreciation for Schon, Cain and Valory. Die-hard Perry fans will remain unconvinced but tolerate the new Journey as a refreshing oasis in this vast desert of slacker rock, country twang and rap crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Journey continues..., May 8, 2001
sav4210 (N Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
I am a die hard Journey fan and was quite skeptical of a new singer. Journey, without Steve Perry, seemed impossible. I watch the VH1 special on Journey (isn't Steve P bitter!) and heard some of the new tracks before the release of Arrival and I was hooked from the 1st time I listened.
Right now DIRECT TV is showing a concert from earlier in the year, taped in Las Vegas and it is fantastic. They have the same great energy and great sound as they always have. Anyone that thinks the Journey ended @ "Frontiers" is sadly mistaken and shoud NOT consider themself a "Journey Fan." "Rasied on Radio" had a lot of good songs as did "Trial by Fire" (admittedly not their best album). Can every album be better then the last? They're musicians, not gods! "Arrival", as a whole, is as good (if not better) than "Rasied on Radio." If you are a true Journey fan then you will love this record. If you are a Steve Perry fan, you will be bitter about it. I love Steve Perry but I was pleasantly surprised to see the bad did not miss a step when the replaced him with the "new Steve."
Still, I hope one day Steve Perry will reunite with the band but that looks to be a school boy's dream @ this point! Enjoy the album!

5.0 out of 5 stars What are you doing? Buy this CD NOW., July 9, 2004
S. Basile (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
This is a great album, hands down. This might be the only album that I can sit down and listen through the whole thing without skipping a song.
When I heard Perry was replaced with some no name singer by the name of Steve Augeri, I was shocked. But one day I stumbled about the internet and found journeyconinues.com. I decided to give them a shot and checked out the live video of "Higher Place". I was blown away and went out the next day and bought the DVD, Arrival, and Red 13. It took a while to make my Dad accept that Perry was gone and I finally got him to listen to all the new Journey material. He loved it. In fact, I just made my Dad buy tickets to one of their live shows this month.
My favorites I would have to say are "Higher Place", "Signs of Life", "World Gone Wild", "Nothin' Comes Close", and "To Be Alive Again". Also the openning drum solo on "We Will Meet Again" is awesome and Steve's vocals on "Kiss Me Softly" are amazing.
So, I ask you. What are you waiting for? Buy this CD, Red 13, and the live DVD right now. And if you still have some money left check out journeymusic.com and see if they're playing anywhere near you so you can buy some tickets to one of their shows.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought it would be, April 16, 2001
Peter (Santa Rosa, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
First off let me state that I have been a huge fan of Journey since the late 1970's early 1980's. I have to say that Steve Perry has got to be the best male vocalist in rock music and the thought of a Journey album without him almost seems unnatural. When I had first heard that Steve Perry had been replaced as the singer for Journey, I vowed never to buy another new Journey CD again. But after hearing several people compare the new singer to that of Steve Perry, I just had to hear what they could come up with. Now while I have to say that the classic Journey sound is back (Escape and before), the truth is that something is missing. The bands new Steve, while yes he does sound like Steve Perry at times, is not the dead ringer that I had heard about. In fact, he sounds more like Steve Perry mixed with Dave Meniketti (of Y&T), and Johnny Gioeli of Neal Schons Journey hiatus band Hardline. While that combo isn't bad, it isn't what you've come to expect from Journey. Where as Perry's voice always seemed smooth and natural no matter how he sang, Augeri's voice on the otherhand seems to range from smooth to screaming. After listening to Arrival my only thoughts on Augeri's voical work are 1) what these songs would sound like if sung by Perry and 2)why is it that Augeri's vocals seemed to be drowned out by everything else.
As for the songwriting, Steve Perry's other major talent, the songs on Arrival again seem to be missing something. While the music is fluid, the lyrics however are not. A few of the songs seem like they could have used a little more time and a few more drafts. As for standout songs, Arrival has a few, and I'd have to say that they are 'Higher Place,' 'Signs of Life,' 'Lifetime of Dreams,' and 'To be Alive Again.' Of the 15 tracks on Arrival, those 4 seem to sound the most Journey. Am I saying that you shouldn't buy Arrival, no, what I'm saying is that if you are a true Journey fan you'll like it however if you only liked Journey because of Steve Perry, than Arrival will disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Another perfect album from Journey!, December 4, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
I just received this album today and I have listened to it 3 times. It's a FANTASTIC album. The members of Journey have done it again. This is a must for Journey Fans. Steve Augeri sounds great and is a fine choice to replace Steve Perry. The bonus track is really good, too bad it isn't slated to be on the US release version. Thanks to the members of Journey for keeping the magic of Journey alive!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey rules again, May 11, 2001
"flyingbutterbean" (Wichita Falls, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
This is an excellent cd, I bought and it has yet to leave my cd player, This is classic journey, the new vocalist is incredible he can sing every note that steve could and absoloutely takes those vocals to a new height. The words are outstanding, a well written group of songs, Neal sounds incredible as does the rest of the band, I recommend this cd to any journey fan of old and of new, great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Journey Revival Upon Arrival, October 17, 2006
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
When Journey came out with their 1996 "Trial By Fire" album, the fans were hopeful to see the Journey that they remembered was back for good. Unfortunately, that was to be the last album with lead singer Steve Perry (read my "Trial By Fire" review to about this transition period).

Jump ahead five years to 2001 and enter new lead singer Steve Augeri and drummer Deen Castronovo. Steve Augeri is no Steve Perry - he doesn't have the range - however, I've seen the "new" Journey twice in concert and he does a nice job of filling that role. Even he admits in interviews that he's "riding the crest" of the former lead singer. He is very humble and feels privileged to be in the group.

With that said, what about former drummer Steve Smith? Apparently he left the 1996 reunion when he found out that Steve Perry was no longer in the group. His replacement was a buddy of Jon Cain's and Neil Schon's from the Bad English years. Deen does a nice job of drumming, but lacks the fine technique and touch that Steve Smith put into his playing. Steve Smith is an incredible jazz drummer. It is this reviewer's opinion that those techniques help to "round out" and not limit a drummer's playing, giving the musician a larger palette to draw from.

The album, on the whole, is very good. There's a lot of music on it - fifteen tracks! It is very apparent that they are drawing from the past; it's almost as if "Departure" meets "Trial By Fire." There is very little of the big synths associated with "Frontiers" and "Raised on Radio," and more acoustic piano and organ. The song structures are less pop and more rock-sounding - one would almost think that Gregg Rollie had a hand in writing a few of the tracks. Songs like "Higher Place," "I Got A Reason," and "To Be Alive Again" all lean back to the "Departure" days, but with a new sound. "Livin' To Do" is a ballad written by Neal Schon about his recovery over his father's death. This song is so well done it could have been included on the "Dream After Dream" soundtrack. Then there's "Kiss Me Softly" that sounds like it came off of Schon's solo album "Electric World" - another well done tune.

There's always a downside to an album and this one has its share of duds. There are too many sappy ballads, all attempts at revitalizing their success with "When You Love a Woman." Tracks 2, 5 and 9 are just filler. Having heard their most recent album, "Generations," I can review this album with hindsight. Tendencies towards the "new sound" rears it's ugly head in "All The Things" and "Nothin' Comes Close" (please read my review on this album for further information).

All in all, it's one that I would recommend to any Journey fan. If you're a diehard Steve Perry fan, you probably won't like it. However, if you're a diehard Journey fan, you won't be disappointed. Remember... Steve Perry didn't join the group until their fourth album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey without Perry? Well, look at Styx..., May 26, 2004
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
I had the pleasure of seeing Journey's DirecTV concert special before the Arrival album's release in 2001, and a lot of people had said the same thing before hand: "Journey without Steve Perry is unthinkable..." then out came Steve Augeri onstage and people were standing there with their mouths down to the ground hearing this guy hit all the notes. Anyone who thinks Journey should have changed directions instead of getting someone who could sing their biggest songs and do them justice needs to ask themselves: Does Journey need to do the songs that made them great or do they need someone like the lead singer of ZZ Top trying to sing Open Arms and Faithfully? Journey is known for those hits and so much more. You need someone who can sing them. Styx, on that same note, found the perfect act to follow Dennis DeYoung in Lawrence Gowan...and in return, we don't have to sit through songs like "Mr. Roboto" and "Babe" in concert, which the rest of the band were never big fans of to begin with. Both Journey's "Arrival" and Styx' "Cyclorama" show what the bands are both made of...and it's a nice progression from what could have been disastrous for both bands. You won't be disappointed in either album...and last year they toured together with REO Speedwagon, and the shows just ROCKED. It's nice to remember all the hits they had with their former lead singers, but it's a testimony to their determination to remain vital musical units that these two albums are as GREAT as they both are. Wherever Steve Perry is, may he come out with some new music as good as this...and I hope he does...nothing against him for his choice to leave, but the band deserves to carry on, and carry on it does well...same goes for Styx!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine album worthy of the name Journey, October 14, 2001
Phil Behnke (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
What a great CD! The new Steve has always been one of my favorite singers anyway and as far as I'm concerned is the only man on the planet who could fill Steve Perry's shoes. If you like this album, check out Steve's old band: Tall Stories and you'll be in for a big surprise. Their self-titled album is a complete scorcher! Getting back to this CD though, there are a lot of good tracks and the nice thing is it sounds like Journey. Neal Schon is a master of playing memorable leads. He never over-does-it. Instead, he'll get more out of three or four notes and really move you. That's one of the reasons I've always liked Journey. Neal Schon never tried to prove how fast he could run up and down the fret board. Very tasty licks, and great production too. Check out the clips and give it a chance. There are people who still whine that David Lee Roth left Van Halen. Change is a fact of life people. Yes, Steve Perry is an awesome singer and contributed a lot but life goes on. The vocals on "Arrival" are absolutely perfect. Kudos to a legendary band for continuing what it does best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheel In The Sky Keeps Turning!, June 15, 2001
kindheartedwolf (Lubbock, Texas United States (Home of Buddy Holly)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
Steve Perry was an excellent lead singer for Journey! Fortunately, we have a new one and a new Frontier to explore! Get ready for an Incredible Journey, and one wild ride! Augeri does an outstanding job, stepping up to the plate and knocking the ball out of the park! He also sounds like Steve Perry, although he has his own unique, and sophisticated style! The first song Higher Place is a masterpiece. The power ballads, All the Way, Loved by You, Kiss Me Softly, are romantic, sexy, and red hot. All of the ballads are sensational, have great hooks, and are right up there with Foreigner! The CD also rocks with breath taking keyboard and guitar work from Cain and Neal Schon. The more one explores Journey's new path, the more one becomes addicted to the songs, and embraces the new sound with open arms. The CD definitely grows on you, but if you want the old Journey, get out your old CD's and escape. If you do so, you will never arrive and miss an opportunity to experience a great Journey! I like the new path and feel it will only get better!

Arrival
Arrival by Journey (Audio CD - 2001)
Click for more info