The Prisoner (1967) 1 Season 1967
Amazon Instant Video
1. Arrival After handing in his resignation, a secret agent heads off to his London home to pack for a holiday. He begins to feel faint and ends up unconscious. He awakes not in his house but in a strange village. He starts to explore but soon realises that in "The Village" all things such as 'phone calls, maps and taxis are "only local". He is shown around the Village by Number Two who explains that the secret agent is Number Six, that the information in his head is priceless and asks why he resigned. Number Six realses that he is, in fact, a prisoner.
2. The Chimes Of Big Ben Number Six has a new next-door neighbour, Nadia. She befriends him and tells him that the Village is situated on the Baltic. To cover their escape plans Number Six enters the Village arts and crafts exhibition competition. His entry, called "Escape" is the inspiration for their plan to get back to London.
3. A. B. And C. The new Number Two uses a new wonder drug to tap into Number Six's dreams to try and find out why he resigned. Over a period of three nights Number Six encounters A, B and C in separate circumstances, at Madame Engadine's party in his dreams. Unknown to Number Two, Number Six has realised what has happened and uses his dreams to prove that he was not selling out.
4. Free For All It's election time in the Village. A new Number Two needs to be elected and Number Six is persuaded to stand. If elected he will learn the identity of Number One. While attending a meeting of the outgoing council, Number Six annoys the current Number Two who decides that Number Six must undergo "The Test". Number Six sets out on his election campaign with many promises to his voters but his real aim is to discover who Number One is.
5. The Schizoid Man Number Six awakes one morning in a different apartment in the Village and discovers things have changed. He has a new appearance, has become left-handed and has a different taste in foods. He is no longer Number Six but now Number Twelve. A double of Number Six has been brought to the Village in an attempt to crack him. A bruised fingernail is the only clue that can help the real Number Six.
6. The General Speedlearn' is a subliminal process for educating the population of the Village, developed by a Professor with the aid of an unseen 'General'. However, the Professor realises that his creation has the ability to be abused by Number Two and with the help of Number Six intends to destroy the 'General'. After their attempt fails Number Two takes Number Six to meet the 'General'.
7. Many Happy Returns Number Six awakes to a deserted Village. He realises that he has the perfect opportunity to escape his captors. He builds a raft and sets sail away from the Village. During his voyage he comes across some gunrunners who steal his remaining supplies and leave him to drown. He is eventually washed up on the south coast of England. He manages to get back to London to find a 'Mrs Butterworth' living in his house. The next day is Number Six's birthday and Mrs Butterworth has a surprise planned for him.
8. Dance Of The Dead Number Six discovers a dead man washed up on the Village beach. He finds a wallet and a radio set in the dead man's jacket. He hides the body in a cave and returns later with a life-belt and sets the body afloat with a rescue note in the wallet, although he is watched by a former colleague, Dutton. Unknown to Number Six, Number Two has been using Dutton to obtain information on Number Six. Number Six receives an invitation to the Village carnival where he meets Peter Pan and Little Bo-Peep.
9. Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling Number Six is not himself. The Prisoner's mind is transformed in another man's body (the Colonel's) by the Village authorities in an attempt to track down a scientist, Professor Seltzman. When Number Six wakes upin his London home he has a tough task convincing people of his true identity, so he sets off for Austria to find Professor Seltzman - the only man who can help him.
10. It's Your Funeral The Prisoner (Number Six) is tricked into discovering an assassination plot - but who is going to be killed? Number Two knows that Number Six is the only man in the Village capable of stopping a murder so he attempts to discredit him. After Number Six finds out about the plot he goes to warn Number Two who records the warning and doctors the tape. After a new Number Two arrives in the Village, Number Six realises that the intended target is not who he first thought.
11. Checkmate Number Six takes the position of Queen's Pawn in a human game of chess. An illegal move by the Rook leads to his withdrawal and he is taken to the Village hospital. Number Two brainwashes the Queen to fall in love with Number Six who discovers the locket the Queen wears around her neck is in fact a radio transmitter to track him. The transmitter is useful to Number Six and he manages to borrow the locket to use with the Rook in his latest escape bid.
12. Living In Harmony The Prisoner finds himself a stranger in a Western town called 'Harmony'. He reluctantly takes on the job of the Sheriff in order to release a young saloon woman. As Sheriff he refuses to carry a gun until a killing spree forces him to take one up. After a gun fight with the Kid, the Prisoner decides to resign from his post but The Judge refuses to let him.
13. A Change Of Mind After becoming involved in a fight with two thugs, Number Six is declared 'unmutual' by the Village committee which recommends that he undergoes 'instant social treatment' - a pre=frontal lobotomy. However, Number Six realises that due to his due to his importance he is not administered the treatment, only tricked into thinking he has received it. So he tries to get the Village doctor on his side. With her help he has plans for Number Two.
14. Hammer Into Anvil When a young woman is driven to her death by Number Two, Number Six swears his revenge. Number Two tells Number Six that he is going to hammer him (using a quote from Goethe about hammers and anvils) so Number Six decides to turn the tables. He plans to make Number Two think that he is an agent called D6 and that he reports to a superior X.O.4. Number Six sets out on a campaign to break Number Two.
15. The Girl Who Was Death The Prisoner is back in his old job as he tries to track down the murderer of Colonel Hawke-Englishe, who was looking for a crazy scientist called Schnipps. The scientist's daughter Sonia, who calls herself Death, protects her father and sets many deadly traps for Number Six. Sonia eventually leads him to her father who has plans to destroy London with his super-rocket. Is this real or a just a story?
16. Once Upon A Time After all previous attempts to break Number Six have failed, Number Two decides the only way to obtain the information wanted is by using a system known as 'Degree Absolute'. A battle that will leave one of them dead. If Number Six wins, he will have survived the ultimate test and meet Number One.
17. Fall Out Contnuing from ONCE UPON A TIME, the Prisoner is presented to the President of the Assembly. He watches the trials of Number Forty Eight and the resuscitated Number Two. It is now his chance to finally meet Number One. As chaos breaks out, The Prisoner leaves the Village and heads for London.
|Genres||Science Fiction, Drama, Action, Mystery|
|Starring||Patrick McGoohan, Virginia Maskell|
|Supporting actors||Guy Doleman, Paul Eddington, George Baker, Angelo Muscat, Barbara Yu Ling, Stephanie Randall, Jack Allen, Fabia Drake, Denis Shaw, Oliver MacGreevy, Frederick Piper, Patsy Smart, Christopher Benjamin, Peter Swanwick, David Garfield, Peter Brace, Keith Peacock, Fenella Fielding|
|Executive Producer||Patrick McGoohan|
|Purchase rights||Stream instantly and download to 2 locations Details|
|Format||Amazon Instant Video (streaming online video and digital download)|
A walk down memory lane.... never saw the compete series back then... disappointed with the last episodes... oh well... still... I'm glad I did take another look at it.Published 22 days ago by Nina315
There are seventeen episodes and each one pulls you in a different direction. Some episodes have an actual plot you can follow (Arrival, A,B and C, The Chimes of Big Ben). Read morePublished 1 month ago by jpop
The Prisoner is an exquisitely produced 1960s drama about the imprisonment of a top spy whose superiors cannot understand why he walked away from his job but believe his knowledge... Read morePublished 3 months ago by CJ
Remembered this show fondly as a kid - particularly the "Rover." Patrick McGoohan is awesome (of course, I had even better memories play the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh - if... Read morePublished 3 months ago by J. M. Andrews
Watched all 17 in a row...still thinking about it...non-stop! A must for all to see and to think about...you will be surprised.Published 4 months ago by Gary Neuzil
Beautiful on an HD TV.
A must have for true "Prisoner" Fans
Now, I have to get back to trying to figure out WHERE THE VILLAGE... Read more
Disappointing. Extremely disappointing. If I want to watch something that I'm not supposed to understand, I'll turn on a rugby match.Published 5 months ago by Paul Lamia
I can't wait to finish watching the rest of the episodes to se if he gets off of that blasted island. It's amazing how they make prison look like paradise.Published 5 months ago by Sonya Battle