5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, organic and 100% pure
Published on June 14, 2011 by E. Swope

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken bag in shipment
I guess the flour was OK, but in this shipment of 6 bags, one was broken inside the packing box, leaving flour spilled all over the other bags, packing material, inside of box, etc. I use this for rye bread, but a recipe on the flour bag for Lebkuchen, using all rye flour, caught my eye (6 bags, after all!). Don't bother with this recipe -- dough needed much more flour...
Published on December 18, 2011 by riverridge

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, organic and 100% pure, June 14, 2011
E. Swope (Kaneohe, HI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Arrowhead Mills Am Rye Flour Organic, 30 Ounce Bags (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
It is surreal how difficult it is to get rye flour in hawaii; that is to say impossible, until Amazon started delivering it. I have made something of a project of sourdough this year and have starters going from white, wheat and mixtures; however the best sourdough comes from rye... well, at least it is the easiest to culture, and is a natural (has a lot of wild yeast in the flour). Sadly I was unable to get a starter going until now. Thanks to Amazon I now have a wild yeast pure rye, as well as one started with a pinch of my wheat starter, It says something about the freshness and quality that the starter was foaming after one day! I have already made rye bread using a culture started from this flour, and no yeast was necessary :)

Beyond that, I like that it is packed in small bags, as I have to store it in the freezer to combat the tropical humidity and pests. I also like that it is 100% rye, not a mixture like so many others.

Thank you Amazon :) Without this service I would have the trappings of western civilization largely off limits but for when I travel. i really appreciate having access to the foods I grew up with, and ingredients I need to cook what I like.... which is pretty much the only way to get those things here. It is nice having fresh rye bread again :) (ah, the little things we take for granted, until they are out of reach)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flour and great value, February 2, 2012
I live in a large metropolitan area, but can't find rye flour without driving all over town. And when it do find it, the price is astronomical. Buying from Amazon is a great solution for me.

My rye bread recipe only calls for two cups of rye flour for five loaves, so it takes me a little while to go through a bag of rye, but I pour these bags into a plastic storage container like I do with all my other flours and grains. That keeps the critters out of them and keeps the flour from getting too hot and rancid.

I probably won't need any more rye flour until later this year, but when I do, I'll be glad to buy another six-pack from Amazon.

Oh, and what about the product itself? This rye flour is so incredibly delicious! The flavor is really great and not overpowering.

Recipe:

6.5 cups warm water
3.5 tablespoons yeast (heaping)
3 tablespoons salt (level)
3 tablespoons caraway seed (heaping) - plus a few generous pinches on top of the loaves at baking
2 cups rye flour
10 cups unbleached white flour (level)

Mix the ingredients and let the dough sit overnight in the fridge in a 12qt plastic tub with a loose lid. Then form the loaves the next day, let them sit for 30 minutes, and then bake at 450* for 30 minutes (longer for bigger loaves).

It's the perfect deli rye. Mmmm!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Rye Bread Mix, April 22, 2013
David R. Stallman (Burley, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
My Wife loves Rye bread, and she said the bread I made her from this package was the best bread I have ever made her.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best so far, April 18, 2012
I make Rye bread every day for my family.
This rye flour is the best I found so far.
(I will update my review if I will find a better one.)
For a while I used Red Mill Organic Rye Flour Dark,
which is good but this one is better.

P.S. Finally, I found better Rye Flour in a Mennonite market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rye Flour, April 17, 2011
If you make your own NY style seeded rye bread, you'll need rye flour. Not everyone carries it, but Amazon sure does!

5.0 out of 5 stars great taste, easy to make bread with, August 21, 2013
I use it for sourdough bread and it tastes fantastic. However, I mix it with spelt or/and wheat not to make the bread too dense.

5.0 out of 5 stars best bread, July 8, 2013
i combine it with seeds & other flour such as millet & spelt & the bread is amazing. Very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Organic Flour, June 26, 2013
I have this flour and loved the freshness. Have been using it to feed my rye starter, which is very strong and smells wonderful- almost like apple cider! I live in a somewhat large city, but am unable to find rye flour anywhere! Amazon to the rescue! So glad to be able to get it and with the option for automatic shipments. Highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rye flour at Amazon really made my day, March 16, 2012
I live in a rural area of South Carolina where rye flour must be a dirty word. I have looked in all the stores available within 50 miles, Walmart included, with no success. Thank you Amazon for offering this product.

I am very pleased with Arrowhead am rye organic flour. I can't stop baking rye bread with caraway seeds. I think I'm addicted to the stuff.

My order was received in perfect condition and professionally packaged. No loose flour or tears, etc. The flour is wonderful to work with and I use it in my 10 yr. old machine with great success. Thanks for offering quality products at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service., January 19, 2012
One of two sacks of flour was split open and gushing into protective plastic sack - probably due to a standard-issue utility knife used in most ship/ receive departments. Within 4 actual days (including a holiday) of my call to the supplier I had a replacement. Can't beat this type of service!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›