5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorites
We are on a gluten- and casein-free diet, and we love this cereal. It has a nice flavor, and isn't over-sweetened. It does not have a too-strong buckwheat flavor. We bought lots. Try it with almond milk -- mmmmm.
Published on March 26, 2007 by Mojave Bob

3.0 out of 5 stars The Good and Bad
The good is that this may be the best tasting gluten free cereal I had, The bad is that I guess this cereal weighs a lot, because the boxes they come in are the smallest cereal boxes I ever seen. Then on top of that the bag inside is always just half full. I only get 4 bowls of cereal out of each box,
Published 17 months ago by Nick

4.0 out of 5 stars very tasty - but not for Low Carb or diabetic folks, February 9, 2013
This review is from: Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Maple Buckwheat Flakes Cereal, 10 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
I'm really glad I got a single box of these flakes at the health food store before buying a multi-pack online because I can't repurchase. In fact I shouldn't have purchased it at all after reading the box label at the store, but wanted to check the product out tastewise.

Buckwheat's not a grain, but a seed, and straight buckwheat is relatively low in carbohydrates, which is why it's great for diabetics or people who eat low carb. Unfortunately as a pseudo-grain it lacks binding properties which is why manufacturers tend to add a secondary grain product to help whatever it is hold together. A true buckwheat udon noodle would be lovely, for example, but too often there is more wheat flour than buckwheat and the final product gets carb-heavy.

Unfortunately, the case is similar here. Though this cereal is very tasty, buckwheat is coupled with rice flour (second ingredient) and sugar cane juice (third) and maple syrup (fifth). By the time they're done making this, it's 35 carbs in a cup (and less than a gram of fiber). That's like drinking a non-diet cola.

This could be fixed by the manufacturer lowering the rice content, and eliminating the sugar and maple, allowing us to choose our own sweetener, but I understand the world doesn't revolve around people restricting carb intake. Just wishful thinking.

But if you're a gluten intolerant person and have no blood sugar issues... this is your cereal... and I'm jealous.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorites, March 26, 2007
Mojave Bob (Warsaw, IN United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars a gluten free great, February 16, 2011
grandMOM (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This is one of my hubby's favorite breakfasts and just about the only dry cereal he really enjoys. There is no problem using all 6 boxes and on the subscription plan it is less than half the price in many health food stores. Note: the boxes have dropped to 10 oz. instead of 12 oz.
It is GF, has no MSG or related products, no aspartates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Breakfast, July 29, 2007
This is a nice gluten free breakfast option. A little sweet so no added sugar is needed but not overly sweet. Crunchiness holds up well in milk.

4.0 out of 5 stars No longer reasonable to buy from Amazon, June 30, 2013
D. Hoyns (New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
I had been purchasing this cereal from Amazon's subscribe and save program until they discontinued it and doubled the price! Amazon also has a problem correctly shipping cereal if you also order heavier items at the same time.
We eat a gluten free diet and this had been a breakfast staple in our home. This cereal is crunchy and tasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite gluten free cereal, June 21, 2013
Karen (Cecil County, MD) - See all my reviews
I was so happy to find this cereal when searching the gluten free products. It's like eating "regular" cereal. No added sugar needed; just throw some fruit on top and it's great! Just sorry it's no longer available in the subscribe-and-save program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star, August 26, 2013
The wife favorite gluten free cereal. Not available at the local markets. It is a very healthy cereal for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this..., May 25, 2013
This is a great gluten free cereal for the person that has a gluten/wheat intolerance. We love the taste and texture... terrific! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5g sugar, and gluten free; gets soggy fast, March 23, 2013
This has no odd "health food" taste to me at all. It's sweetened, but not sugary. The big Gluten Free label on the box is new, but good to inform those who didn't realize that buckwheat isn't any kind of wheat at all.
This cereal is made from organic ingredients, unless the sea salt, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), and natural Vitamin E (to preserve freshness) are not certified organic.
Wait to add milk until shortly before one is ready to eat the cereal or else one gets a bowl of mush. A minor inconvenience to avoid eating artificially preserved genetically modified grain.
One serving without milk has 170 calories, 10 calories from fat; total fat 1g (polyunsaturated .5g; monounsaturated .5g; no trans fat; no cholesterol); 190mg Sodium; 100mg Potassium; total carbohydrate 35g. Dietary fiber 1g, sugars 5g, protein 4g. The 5g of sugars are from organic maple syrup and organic honey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Dry Cereal, March 8, 2013
I have a food sensitivity to wheat so this was a great alternative. Wouldn't care if it was a little less sweet but it isn't over-whelmingly so. While I'm not gluten sensitive, like the fact that it is gluten free and organic. No hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup; just all organic ingredients. Will be a continuous buyer.

Rate and Discover Movies