5.0 out of 5 stars Be Inspired and Amazed!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:41 Mins
Published on November 4, 2009 by Lesser Knowns

3.0 out of 5 stars William Kenridge
Published 11 months ago by stell

5.0 out of 5 stars Be Inspired and Amazed!, November 4, 2009
Lesser Knowns (San Mateo, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:41 Mins

Hearing the numerous internationally recognized artists' ideas and inspirations is extremely moving and motivational. Watching this film will broaden your artistic mind and give you the craving to be creative in a variety of ways. It also gives insight into the artists' complex, talented lives. This film just goes to show that artists come in all different shapes and sizes. If you love traveling, exploration and have appreciation for art, I strongly recommend "Art 21: Art in the Twenty-First Century, Season V." Let's travel the continents together to explore the behind to scenes of who brings art to life!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent series, August 4, 2010
This review is from: Art: 21 - Art in the 21st Century, Season Five (DVD)
I use this series in my high school classroom and for my own art inspiration. Excellent, just be sure to preview it before you show it to the kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluray version still plays, April 21, 2010
I purchased the Bluray version a few months ago and was disappointed to find that it would not load - I tried it on recent Panasonic and a Sony bluray players, and in both cases, the TV showed "Loading" for a very long time, and I had to eject the disc or even power off the player to interrupt the process.

HOWEVER, some weeks later, after ordering a DVD version to replace the Bluray, I gave the bluray one last try. This time I just popped it in the player, and left it. I came back about 20 minutes later and the menu had appeared! I was then able to play all of the programs on the disc without problem or delay, and the picture looked stunning. I tried again on the other bluray player, and the same result - I had to wait for about 12-15 minutes for the menu to appear, and when it did, all was fine with playback.

There is obviously something not quite right here, but the disc is playable, and once you get past the ridiculous disc loading time, the experience of navigating and watching is very nice indeed. I did contact PBS before I made this discovery, alerting them to a problem with the disc - they stated that they had no record of any problem. So it seems like there is no effort being made to address the issue.

Perhaps it only affects some players. But we are now happy that this bluray we formerly thought was unplayable is in fact OK. I rate this disc highly for its content, with one star taken off because of the crazy load time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the Best Yet, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Art: 21 - Art in the 21st Century, Season Five (DVD)
Every DVD from this series has been great. I find I go back to them when I'm stuck in some way. It is like having the best artists drop by your studio to talk about what they are doing. Season 5 as the most current, makes it important to dive into, but I also think it has several of the most important artists from the very end of the 20th Century who point the way to the 21st, and all these artists continue to break new ground. For those who are not artists, but love art, this is a doorway to understanding where art is going next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series..., November 30, 2013
This whole series is just awesome. I first caught it on PBS and was hooked. It's so cool listening to artists and their mindset as well as projects they done. I also had a few 'wow' moments when a few of them had done projects I had thought I might like to do. The price to own the seasons is perfect.

3.0 out of 5 stars William Kenridge, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Art: 21 - Art in the 21st Century, Season Five (DVD)
I saw a documentary on the ABC on William Kentridge in which he spoke of the problems in advocacy and keeping people interested. he solved the problem serendipitisly by Playing. he did some odd things by e.g.making a sculpture of a nose out of paper mache and producing a little DVD on the man who lost his nose, questioning whether you can find your face if you lose face.There were a whole series of strange ridiculous playful activities which had an undrlying serious message. I had hoped to see these again on the "Art in the 21st Century " DVD While they were mentioned in passing they were not discussed in as much detail as on the t.v doco. For me that was disapointing

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty product!, February 14, 2010
Artvino (New york, NY) - See all my reviews
I purchased 2 bluray formats in which neither worked in my new bluray player as well as a friends bluray player. I then purchased the non bluray format in which it did play. I beleive there is something wrong with the bluray recorded format.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd give this a -100000000000000 if I could, January 13, 2010
kcimos (Blacksburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art: 21 - Art in the 21st Century, Season Five (DVD)
what a pretentious load of $#!+ !!!
WOW, these people are so great, so important, & so much better than you. It is incredible: the arrogance of these people. They think that the world would stop without them. They are so smart; there is nothing they don't know. They work harder than anyone. They are more imaginative. They immerse themselves in some sort of long-lost aesthetic. "they way I approach photograhpy is spontaneous". well, whooppdy-freaking-doo for you.

I want my money back.

in fact, I think someone owes me a few million dollars for pain & suffering.

I can't stand it. seriously. I'm going to cut these discs into a million pieces throw them into a toilet that has just been used for some #1 & #2 action, & I will call it art & that piece will be featured in the next installment of this series, & they will interview me, & I can talk about how inspired I was & how important I am.

Art: 21 - Art in the 21st Century, Season Five