‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book on Felt Art, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Art in Felt & Stitch: Creating Beautiful Works of Art Using Fleece, Fibres and Threads (Paperback)
I am very happy indeed that I bought this beautiful book. It contains wonderful works made by the artist, using colour and texture to create impressionist works of landscapes, nature and still lives. It also has detailed projects with excellent instructions and stage by stage photos, so that you can learn to make similar small works. Moy Mackay shows not only how to make up the felt art, mainly wet felting but also needle felting, but how to embellish it with stitching both by machine and by hand.

This is a book to drool over and to use as a practical guide. A quality product in all senses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 25, 2013
katagiri (Tomioka-shi, Gunma-ken Japan) - See all my reviews
I consider myself an intermediate level felt-maker and have been looking about for books and information to take myself to the next level as I become more serious about my art/craft in accordance to what attracts me and inspires me. In this case, I have found that I am more interested in "painterly" pieces of felt, rather than things like slippers, vessels or nuno felt-making. I stumbled upon this book and thank goodness for the "look inside" opportunity. One glance and I knew this was the book for me.

If you are looking for a very detailed guide to wet-felting or needle-felting or embellishments, you should probably get another more comprehensive yet basic book than this as a supplement. There are several good ones available through Amazon,again with the "look inside" feature. If you aren't yet ready to splurge, try to find the books which interest you at the library (a fantastic resource) to see if the book has the content and information you need, presented in a way that works for you.

I think this book is more suited to someone with some felt-making experience (though not absolutely: this is a visual feast for the eyes and just fun to look through)who is looking to expand one's skills in this direction: towards pictorial felt compositions. I love watercolor painting as a medium and dabble a bit but I find it very challenging. Felting has been an unexpected blessing to me--not that it is "easier" than painting, but that its dimensional and tactile nature is more exciting and rewarding to me.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves beautiful textiles, with that one small caveat: it is not a "how to make felt" basic book though there is instruction. To me this is more an idea book and one to ignite inspiration. Gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, August 15, 2012
This book provides inspiration for felters and textile artists. Moy's instructions are clear and concise, while allowing for personal creativity. Her examples are awe-inspiring, but at the same time encouraging individual application of the techniques. This book has provided me with the techniques to add to my own toolbox, and at the same time fostering creativity and a preparedness to have a go at methods I might not have tried before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this artist, July 1, 2012
I enjoyed the rich photographs of this artist's work. Her step by step photos and directions were easy to understand and gave insight to her creative method. Inspirational!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, February 17, 2014
I have been experimenting with various felting techniques over the last year and realized that what I wanted to be able to do was" paint with the fiber".
Well this book is certainly proof that it can be done and boy does Moy Mac Kay do it well.
While the more formal subject matter of Moys works are not what I am interested in per say, they are absolutely beautiful. Her use of color is spectacular . Every project is explained in detail and more importantly photographed in full AND up close to be able to see how she creates fine details in the finished works. She takes you through the felting process and then the refining processes using needle felting and machine stitching and finally hand stitching. I am truly inspired.
Thanks Moy- I am happy to add you to my library and look forward to your next book.
Maria Sachs
Basel Switzerland

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, October 11, 2013
Deborah Ditson (San Diego, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This book is beautiful. The instructions are clear and the projects are doable. Steps are all with pictures so the odds of messing up is minimal. One of the nicest instruction manuals I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, October 12, 2013
This book is so full of inspiration if you are a felter or would like to become one. What it lacks in instruction it makes up for in inspiration and beauty. This book is just a pleasure to look at. I'm so glad I got it. i consider it a very good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, September 7, 2013
This is a beautiful book about combining felting and stitching. Motivating and inspiring! I even learned more about colors and how to create special effects. Am excited to get started!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book, July 7, 2013
P. McMeans (St Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I've just gotten into felting and really love this book. Amazing photos of the author's work. Gives me many ideas. I've shown the book to two of my fellow felters and they've both purchased the book too. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, June 27, 2013
The book is inspiring with a great deal of clear instructions on the techniques used by the artist. I definitely suggest it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›