Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Art Heals: How Creativity Cures the Soul
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 11, 2009
As a psycho-oncologist and art therapist I recommend this book. Like the author said " the healing through art is about living in tune with the creative spirit". The most important clue is the process. An indispensable reading for those who work with art and healing process.
on June 21, 2010
Here's the skinny on this book: if you believe that art has the power to heal, you need to read this book. If you use art as a tool with any population for personal expression, healing or self-growth, you need to read this book. The bottom line is that art does heal. Creativity does move us forward on our personal journeys towards wholeness, and this book offers powerful recognition of these indisputable facts! --- by Anne Marie Bennett, SoulCollage Facilitator and Facilitator Trainer. I also recommend SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
on October 16, 2008
Excellent book when you work with an art group, especially when you focus on the emotional healing,allowing us to dare to create our most compelling images, and also to dialogue with them.
on July 5, 2009
This is an extremely well written book on a fascinating topic. Mc Niff writes poetically and succinctly at the same time. A must have for anyone who is seriously interested in the relationship between healing and creativity!
on December 29, 2014
I enjoyed reading this book. I completely agree with Shaun about the healing power of art.

I really like the chapter - "Art Healing is For Everyone". Shaun gives examples of ways art can be brought in workplaces.

And best of all, art is for everyone not just for "creative" people. Anyone can develop an interest but the one thing which is needed is support and help from a friend in that journey. When you actually start out as an artist there are a lot of misgivings and doubts and some hand-holding is a must otherwise you would give up. The key is to find what you really enjoy - art can be blogging on the internet, photographing insects on the lake or editing videos or painting watercolors of nature.

However the book is a bit dry and in real life you need to complement it with a more practical guide - "how to paint watercolors" or "how to photograph" etc.

If you are still in doubt about the healing power of art check out this real life story in which art truly helps to save a life: http://www.zindadil.com/archives/4149
on September 15, 2013
McNiff is a classic when it comes to talk about how art can help during a healing process. The book reads very easily. McNiff does know how to engage a reader in both, his book and his passion for creativity as a mean of healing.
on April 2, 2013
I purchased this book because it was recommended by one of my most insightful art therapy instructors. It was not required course reading but numerous references to Shaun McNiff's work have been made over the course of my studies and I was looking for accounts of actual practice experience. I haven't done much reading by choice over the course of my studies but this book was so captivating that I read it during the semester, while enrolled in two master's level art therapy courses.
on October 10, 2011
Shaun McNiff is an Art Therapist who works in the open art studio format. He writes of a "shamanistic" approach to therapy, in which the mind, body, and soul are treated through creative and expressive therapies. This idea is ancient in that most pre-civilization communities there have historically been shaman's, healers, medicine men/women, and other holistic practitioners. The integration of this term into his treatment philosophy and his anecdotal experiences provide ample exploration of the theme of healing. As an art therapist myself, I can recommend this book to anyone interested in, working within, or collaborating with art therapy as a profession.
on February 27, 2013
I am a firm believer that art heals and teach wherever I go, but I felt healing for myself as I went through the pages of this book. Highly sensitive and informative.
on August 30, 2009
I have enjoyed reading this book, but find that it is redundant. It is about the author's own personal experience of evolving into an art therapist in the mental health field. The book could have been written on half as many pages if he just got to the point or the heart of the matter. It is still a good reference, however.