Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 12, 2014
While I am not an illustrator / painter, I did find some useful information for my business sewing and selling upcycled fashions.
However, most of the book focused on artists that produce paintings and illustrations. For that type of artist, this book will be extremely helpful.
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2014
I found it very helpful as I'm starting to work on making my hobby into a business. I definitely recommend it. I do have some things I wish I had understood before buying it, so I'm offering that here for other people to consider. First, I bought the book instead of the kindle version assuming there would be examples of the artwork done by Lisa and the other artists interviewed. There is not. I ended up having to look up artists on my laptop to see examples of their work, and going back and forth with the book. If I had known this when ordering, I would have ordered the kindle version. I do think the book would have been better if they had included a few pics of the artists and their work in the printed version, but perhaps there were copyright issues (the irony!) or concerns about print costs.

The business information is quite helpful and to the point but it's not detailed. If I want to understand how to set up an online shop for example - there are 3 suggestions on where to go for hosting and an brief outline of what I might want to include, but most artists will need more instruction than that. Same goes for licensing, copyright and all the other nuts and bolts. This is understandable as the book was written by an artist, not a web developer or lawyer, etc. The social media section, where I would have expected this artist to have a bit more to say, was too generalized. People buying the book should understand this is not the only book you will need to start your art business.

What they book does offer is information from other artists on how they did it -- went for the dream of being a professional artist who makes her living from art. The stories are simple but powerful. After reading the book I now have a plan to start my business, where before I just had a wish. Thank you, Lisa!
on August 26, 2014
Great little book! I preordered it as soon as I heard about it, as I've taken some of Lisa's online classes and she's always very inspiring. This book continues in the super-useful vein of Craft/Blog/Creative, Inc. It seems like it's most aimed at artists who are new to monetizing their work, but have the actual "art" part down (it's more about the business of art than the actual making of art. Which is a good thing, but just so you know what you're getting.)

My only criticism has nothing to do with the author- the white-text-on-orange-pages sections are really hard on the eyes. A bit of a darker background color would probably be easier to read ;-) Lucky that's a relatively small portion of the book.
on October 4, 2014
Some advices are helpfull but I had many times the feeling that I was reading just an introduction to the subject and afterwards the subject would be developed more, but this was not the case.
If you are already in the art/illustration business many of the content will seem obvious but it's still a good reminder for some things you are not paying attention as you should.
The interviews are very inspiring but the orange color of the page with a white writing make the reading very tiring
on March 19, 2015
I'm disappointed with this book. The information in it is very, very general. Most of it, in fact, is common sense information most people would already know. If you're looking for concrete, specific information on how to go about the technical aspects of building a career as an artist - you're honestly NOT going to find anything in this book. I'm tempted to give it an even lower rating - however I do like the interviews of other artists and there is a bit, a tiny bit, of inspiration and encouragement here and there.

This is the 3rd book I've purchased looking for in-depth information on the business of being an artist - maybe some actual contract examples, or how to actually go about securing a licensing deal. I was hopeful this book would be the one - but like the other 2 - it's just all fluff so the artists can plant their name on the front of a book. Shame!
11 comment14 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2014
As a freelance artist and illustrator, I find this book incredibly helpful with the daily nuts-and-bolts of running your own business. Lisa Congdon has obviously learned through doing, and her advice is not only practical and succinct, she writes with a down-to-earth attitude that allows the reader to just flow through the book. I particularly enjoyed the included artist interviews (there are a lot of them!), and the section about selling your work online.
There were definitely some things she talks about that I was already familiar with, but the amount of information that was displayed to me in a new light was extremely helpful and thought-provoking. She also includes resources in the back of the book for things like printing services, artist residencies, conferences, etc.
on August 29, 2014
I thought this book was full of great information for the artist. Not everything applied to my kind of art medium, but I could relate to most in the book. Plain and simple facts that were easy to understand. I read this on my iPad and loved the feature where you could click on the websites of the artists that the author does Q&A's with, to see what they were all about, before you read the interview. It literally came to life for me. This will be my new 'go to' book for whatever comes my way in my artistic life. Well done Lisa Congdon.
on September 16, 2014
I read Art Inc. expecting to enjoy it, but also expecting to find a lot of stuff I already knew. I'm already a professional artist, and books about art careers can include basic stuff that I just skip over.
Delightfully, a huge percentage of the book is new and invaluable information, making Art Inc. a resource I know I'll return to again and again. There is so much solid business advice and guidance in here for creative professionals of all kinds.
Lisa's writing style is clear, authentic, and, as another reviewer said, cheerful. I loved it and I'm recommending it to all my artist friends, no matter where they are in their careers.
on March 21, 2015
Personally, I regret buying this book and can imagine myself having done just as well without it. I did go to art school for illustration and have been researching avenues of self promotion for the past year or so and have only begun professionally marketing myself in the past couple weeks (having a tumblr doesn't really count). I suppose I was expecting something more business oriented considering its title, perhaps something that could help you create systems for accounting, keeping track of orders, deadlines, best and most efficient ways of marketing, social media management etc. There is little to no specific information in this book and I have found it rather useless in that respect. As for all of the inspirational artists included in the book, I rarely found myself inspired as I often didn't like the artist's work. The business side of these personal stories was maybe a bit more inspirational for me, though I know that releasing a calendar of my work isn't exactly an avenue that would make sense for me. Still I think that the idea of being open minded to creating something you wouldn't imagine to be profitable could end up surprising you. If you move 20,000 units of anything its going to be decent money. Art is very (pretentiously) reputation based though, so if you're looking to make a name for yourself as a serious artist I might refrain from selling calendars as it would mark you as having low aesthetic value/ brand image. I don't feel that much new information was given to me though it could be helpful to someone who is a bit more fresh in getting their footing with making work, promoting, and selling it, hence my neutral rating.
on September 7, 2014
Well written, with practical and thoughtful advice. The interviews with other artists and gallery owners in various chapters of the book are great -- I appreciate the honesty in both the questions and the responses. I'm a ceramicist, but still found a lot that I can apply to my work. Of the books I've read so far about building a successful career in art, this is my favorite.