5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beautiful book
Published on July 23, 2011 by S. Warfield

3.0 out of 5 stars nice coffee table art book
I was looking for inspirational stories for my students - but my demographic could find little connection to the artists in this tome. All the work shown was nice but a bit "crafty" or schematic when there was a true guide of proceedure included. Nice to flip trough in a sort of Readers Digest way but not useful for in-depth inspiration or true studio applications.
Published on March 14, 2012 by Jodi Evans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beautiful book, July 23, 2011
This review is from: Art Saves: Stories, Inspiration and Prompts Sharing the Power of Art (Paperback)
This book is one of the most inspirational and motivating art books that I've read. Each artist represented has given a short biography and within that bursts forth what drew them to find the artist within each of them. The projects shown are so creative and can lead the reader to ideas of his/her own in mixed-media journaling, artworks using ephemera or other types of artwork.

One artist who struck me as particularly inspiring is Suzi Blu, whose multi-layered rendering of a self-portrait is titled "Art Saved a Child Like Me." The artist battled her own demons until she picked up a paint brush and discovered the healing power of art. Her story is very much a testimony to what a pencil or paint brush and a piece of paper can do for the human spirit.

You don't have to be an artist to enjoy this book or to receive inspiration from it. There are many artists to read about, their stories and their work and why they do what they do. Best of all is what their work has done for them and how it can inspire you and help you understand yourself.

Thank you to the author for giving us this beautiful book to enjoy over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful from beginning to end!, July 9, 2011
Amazing! As soon as I saw that Jenny Doh had a new book coming out, I was quick to purchase it and so excited to receive it. I read "Art Saves" from cover to cover immediately. It was great to see many familiar artists whose work I admire, and to learn even more about what has inspired their work. Equally interesting was discovering artists whose work I was not yet familiar with but enjoyed immediately. You'll find a great mix of art from photography (yeah, Susan Tuttle!) and mixed media (Stephanie Lee!) to jewelry (Robert Dancik!).....What a wonderful opportunity to really see a cross section of artists. "Art Saves" is not only a glimpse of the artist's personal inspiration and vision, and a fantastic sampling of their artwork, but it also chock full of techniques for the reader! If you've ever wondered, "how do they do that?", you're in for a treat when you see the many step-by-step projects inside. I've already stocked up on a few new supplies and plan to make a collage inspired by the very first featured artist, Kelly Rae Roberts. I highly recommend this book for your art book shelf - I just know you'll love it too. Kudos to Jenny Doh for a stunning, must-have book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beauty of a Book!, July 22, 2011
I just received my copy of Art Saves about an hour ago and have already devoured it!. It's wonderfully written, the photos are wonderful and so inspirational. I can't wait to dive into some of the projects included. This book includes so many of my most admired artists. It's wonderful to get a little glimpse into their history of creating wonderful art. Thanks to Jenny Doh for what will most certainly be a staple in my art library!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not deep but refreshing, August 31, 2011
The book is not as deep as I expected, the interviews are short. I would have liked to hear more about each person's perspective and how art actually saved them from something or pulled them out of a hole. Still, the vignettes into the lives of several contemporary artists with several different outlooks and approaches are refreshing. The suggested art projects are very freestyle, reassuring us that art is genuine even when it doesn't conform to museum-type "fine art". The book seems to say that art is for expression, and artful creativity is healing. And that's a refreshing, encouraging, even powerful, message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Juicy, inspiring, and full of original ideas!, July 17, 2012
I'll confess, the cover of this book didn't intrigue me. The title seemed a little odd. A quick flip through the pages made me say things like, "Yes, I know she does that kind of art. It's her signature." And, "Interesting, but not my style at all."

However, a few phrases flew off the pages and caught my attention. In the store where I first saw "Art Saves," I found a chair and decided to give this book a second look.

I'm really glad that I did.

This book isn't a how-to book about art... it's a nurturing series of lessons about creating your OWN art, not cookie-cutter art that copies anyone else's work. And, it's about redefining art, taking it from "cute" or "nicely done" to "Wow... that's extraordinary!"

Years ago, I read and loved a book called No More Secondhand Art. It's still one of my favorite books for the message it delivers.

"Art Saves" could be subtitled, "No more secondhand rules and no more limiting ideas."

If you're looking for a book that pushes you past the usual boundaries and definitions of polite and tidy art, into a realm of profound and authentic self-expression, this is the book to get.

It's not a how-to book, though it contains some projects with step-by-step instructions.

Mostly, these artists aren't saying, "Here's how I create my art," but "Here's WHY I create my art... and what it gives me -- and the world -- in return."

For me, this is a deeply affirming and inspiring book, and I never would have guessed that from the cover or even a quick glance at the contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book! It helped my mom find herself again!!!, December 29, 2012
This book is incredibly good. It is filled with stories of individual artists and how art has helped them transform and heal their lives, as well as the lives of others. My mom is a cancer survivor who is currently struggling to heal from the devastating side-effects of her chemo regime, and this book was just what she needed to re-inspire the artist in her who hidden under all the fatigue. A sincere thank you to all the artists who contributed to this book...I feel as if you have given me my mom back again!

4.0 out of 5 stars inspiration for life for everyone, November 27, 2011
You don't have to be an artist or crafter to get something out of this book. Art Saves delivers bit-sized inspiration from 20 artists, including author Jenny Doh. You'll learn about what inspires them and drives them, how art helped them overcome personal struggles, what they do when the going gets tough and how they give back to the community. Many of these lessons are relevant to more than just artists and can easily be applied to life in general.

The messages are uplifting but I thought the individual artist features were too short and merely skimmed the surface. There isn't much detail and most of it reads like an introduction. But that format, of course, allows for more artists to be featured. The works of the contributing artists represent a wide variety of art forms, from mixed media to photography, from knitting to jewelry-making. No matter the medium, the overall message is that art can help you connect with yourself and with the community. I especially loved the "Pay It Forward" column for which each artist has chosen a quote to highlight: mostly universal inspirations for anyone in any walk of life.

The book also includes a little bit on art techniques, with some artists sharing tips and tutorials for projects: including a collage piece by Kelly Rae Roberts, photography tips from Susannah Conway, digital montage by Susan Tuttle and a calligraphic wall hanging by Lisa Engelbrect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, September 25, 2011
Haven't read the entire book, but so far, each vignette is well written and inspiring - I think this is a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible inspiration!, September 20, 2011
I read this book from cover to cover and loved every minute of it. Such an amazing, inspiring selection of artists! I so enjoyed reading their stories and their projects with step by step photo instructions were excellent! I can't wait to make some of the projects myself! If I had the money, I'd buy this book for every art friend that I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, September 4, 2011
kik (rocky point ny) - See all my reviews
Amazing stories and art depicting the healing power and intention of art. some well known and new artists share their work. i was inspired!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›