Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented, 2 fl. oz.
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on October 4, 2012
I shave both my face and whole head, so I want decent shaving products to do it with. I did some research and learned about this whole shaving sub-culture where people are obsessed with "BBS" (baby butt smooth) shaves and use cotton balls to test for smoothness, blah, blah. I just want a good comfortable shave and skip all the other silliness.

I started using the e-Shave shaving cream and I liked it, but it was expensive so I figured I would check out some similar "upscale" shaving products and see what they did for me (including Musco Real from Portugal - meh, skip it).

One that I tried was Art of Shaving cream and pre-shave oil. I bought a small sample pack of the Sandalwood scent and was *not* impressed with the smell. I have been to India several times and I know Sandalwood, and this was not it. However, besides the scent, it seemed to good, so I purchased the larger version in unscented and got the oil as well (and a nice travel size brush).

Here are my thoughts on the oil:

Pros
- Goes on easily
- Provides a slightly smoother shave than without

Cons
- Even being unscented, it has a smell. To me it reminds me of pine trees and herbs. Its not all that strong, but it's definitely there.
- You will go through a bottle of it much faster than the cream
- Makes you hands feel kind of goopy and need a bunch of soap to wash it off with (it is oil, so just water won't cut it)

Overall, I think it does give you a slightly better shave, but not so much that it is worth the price and time. This is pretty much a gimmick by P&G to increase revenue as far as I am concerned and I would just skip it and go with a good shaving cream. The Art of Shave cream has been one of the better ones, so consider that an option.

Hope this was helpful!
on August 10, 2015
I am a huge fan of the pre-shave oil. I have very sensitive skin and would get razor burn on my neck. Not only did it hurt, it looked bad. I started using the Walmart version of the pre-shave oil, that you can also get on here for a few dollars and it helped but not enough. I switched to the Art of Shaving pre-shaving oil and what a difference. That said, it is very expensive. $25 for two ounces. I decided to make my own to see if it worked as well. I figured if it didn't, I would buy more from Amazon. I order four bottles at a time, so that is over $100 with shipping.

I bought both the olive oil and castor oil at Walmart when I was grocery shopping. If you like it scented, Walmart has lavender oil too for a few dollars. My total investment in all products, to include the $0.75 three ounce bottle I bought was about $10. I wasn't real scientific about mixing it up either. I used a kitchen spoon. I poured two spoons of the olive oil into a mixing cup then added one spoon of the castor oil. I did that several times then poured it into my container. Then I added a few drops of the lavender at the end. I used it this weekend and it was fantastic. Thus for under $10 I can make more when I want and saved over $90 in my first go-around. Whole process took me about five minutes. If you don't want to mess with making your own, buy the expensive stuff and it will make a huge difference with your shaving. I apply my shaving creme after I put the oil on my face and neck. Razor glides so much easier. Good luck.
on June 7, 2014
I purchased this oil for use with my Japanese straight razor. I expected it to be slick and provide a smooth oil surface to help with shaving. The oil was much thicker than I expected. It's almost like a glue feeling, whereas I was expecting it to be more like the shaving strip on a Mach 3. I'm still not sure if it helps matters or provides any improvement while shaving. I have not really enjoyed using it, because it's so thick and is really rather unpleasant to apply to your skin. I personally can't really see that it accomplishes all that much over just a normal shave with soap.
on August 7, 2015
I haven't tried many shave oils so I cannot be an expert. However, I have HORRIBLE irritation. I mean red bumps all over my neck.

I bought a sample set of this from the mall and fell in love with the oil the first time I used it. I am not sure about other people's skin and hair combos, but for mine, this oil works magically. I have severely sensitive skin and thick curly hair that is prone to becoming ingrown. This oil is a bit thick and tacky but that is exactly what I need. I need super heavy coverage because I am so sensitive. I literally could feel no tugging or pulling of my hair. I could barely feel that I was shaving at all. My razor glided over my skin. It was so different from the normal tugging and pulling and stinging. I am completely hooked on this oil now. In just a week's use my irritation is almost completely gone. I have maybe two bumps left.

I also didn't find that it gunked up my blades. I use a gilette proglide. I change the blade every week or so and I haven't noticed an issue.
on December 4, 2014
I love this oil, I have had it for about 1 year now and use it everytime I shave. I have been told by many barbers that I have wire hair since it is so tough. This oil just softens my facial hair right up and makes it very easy to glide my razor and finish shaving faster and more efficient than before. I will be buying more, buying for gifts and buying other products they offer
on February 22, 2014
I have sensitive skin so I like using a pre-shave. I usually use Proraso's pre-shave, but I decided to give this a try based on reviews. It seemed to work well because I did not get any irritation during shaving, but I do not like the consistency. It is like smearing your face with olive oil and feels kinda gross. The smell is a little off-putting too. I will stick with Proraso.
on January 12, 2016
Gone are the days of Edge and Barbasol! I have been shaving my head since I was on tour with a band in 1997. I can't say enough about The Art Of Shaving products - everything from pre-shave, to shaving cream and after-shave balm. All their products are superior and I can't say enough good things about them. I will likely never use anything else - ever. My only regret is that I hadn't heard of this brand earlier. The high-quality products (all) last longer than I expected. They always arrive on time and are securely packaged. Extremely recommended!
on February 8, 2015
I've been using the product for years. Makes shaving more enjoyable, less knicks and cuts.They make a smaller version in a plastic container which I prefer but it is not available online. Easier to order online then to drive to nearest shop that sells this stuff.
on February 17, 2016
My dad loves this pre-shave oil and it's less expensive to purchase on amazon than in Sephora. I got a better deal here on online. He says it helps protect him from nicks and he likes to use it with other products in the Art of Shaving line but even if he runs out of his shave cream standard shaving cream will work well with this.
on June 18, 2013
This oil does what it is supposed to. But it is supposed to be unscented and it smells a bit like cloves, which i don't care for. It also goes on very thick. There are better, and less costly, alternatives out there for a pre-shave oil. But if you purchase this, mix it with a little water on your hand and it will go on easier.

See 1 answered question