Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 2, 2013
Plot

Geez! Eoin Colfer must be Artemis Fowl in disguise! This book was totaling oozing with sky high intelligence. It was unpredictable and yet totally engaging as Artemis exhibited pure genius even when the whole world is falling apart with Opal's doing. I was scrolling pages like a flash, afraid to stumble and get lost between Artemis and Opal's battle for intellectual supremacy. To put it simply, this finale is a superb showdown of brain prowess that would totally keep your mouth hanging from the first page up to the last one.

My only disappointment with this one is that there were portions that narrate Foaly and Caballine's life which I think are non-essential to the whole point of the plot, thereby lingering. And I couldn't stop thinking that it might have been done to lengthen the contents of the book. I just wished that Foaly's life could have been gradually introduced in the early parts of the series.

Characters

This. Over the years, we've watched Artemis grow up, saw how he chose to make mistakes and solving the consequences with his prodigious brain talent. Yet, he was still a boy... greedy, immature, and self-centered. But in this book, we will see how Artemis proved to be a man worthy of our respect and recognition as he made the ultimate sacrifice to save mankind and that is surrendering his own life. It was just WOW.

I also appreciated the Berserkers and their unwavering devotion in protecting the People. They were quite funny especially that they even considered possessing bunnies, ducks, and other wildlife to carry out their plans.

And well, who would ever forget Artemis' twin brother, Miles and Beckett who's proving to be more than a handful even for the Berserkers powers? What about the extraordinaire Mulch Diggums who--aside from fart blasting everyone--now becomes an awesome Troll Rider? Not only that, like Artemis, he is on his way in becoming a much better dwarf in terms of doing things for the greater good than doing things for his own benefit.

Lastly, for some reason, I even like Opal Koboi. Even if she's an evil pixie with Daddy issues, she's funny and the ultimate villain to match Artemis' cunning

Interactions and Dialogues
What endears me to this book is that it's overflowing with amusing arrogance, sarcasm and brilliance. Every character has his/her own brand of those that it's very hard to feel sad and bored whenever you turn a page. To be honest, never for once that I did cry for this book because every reading moment is full of mirth. Instead, even when if you're already pressured and your heart is thumping with what's going to happen next, you can't help but smile because the characters could still find ways to make everything light and joyful.

Lessons Learned

In everything that you do, use your brains and your heart in balance- As demonstrated by Artemis who finally realized that mere brains wouldn't save the world from totally crumbling into a molten piece of land and that he must also use his heart.
on November 3, 2015
The book is another amazing one, and has such a plot twisty and totally epic ending. And a bit of a sad ending, but it gets better. Koboi comes back (ugh) and tries to destroy all of humanity. Not very surprising really. And, of course, she has a very clever and seemingly fool proof way of doing it.
on August 22, 2013
The world comes crashing down around The People and the human world alike. Who else but Artemis would be able to answer the call? Far and away one of the best stories I've read from the new millennium for the current generation, this modern day Sherlock Holmes-meets-Grimm's Fairytales comes to a captivating and smart finale that will leave you guessing until the end.
on April 29, 2013
Product arrived quickly, packaged well, and as expected.

This series is one of the TRULY MAGICAL in literature. Full of action, fun, drama, and humor all wrapped up and packaged in a WONDERFUL story that is accessible and enjoyable to ALL ages. We bought the original books for our son to read, but began reading them as family time and it has become one of our absolute favorite ways to spend time together so we will be sad to see the story come to an end. The series has truly left a happy mark on our family and FOWL has even become a verb to us as it is common to hear us say 'Who wants to FOWL it tonight?' or 'Everybody ready to FOWL?'
on August 5, 2012
Here we go. I glanced through the comments, and apparently most people have loved this book.

Not me.

Okay, I'll admit this book has its bright spots, which is why I gave it a two star as opposed to a one, but.

Throughout reading this book, there was this phase stuck in my head: "I THINK YOU BROKE MY BRAIN." And I'm saying this as someone whose favorite of the Artemis Fowl Series is a book called the TIME PARADOX, for heaven's sake. No, really. Mumble jumbo with magic and black magic and magic locks. I just had to check the book to remember that it was called a lock, and normally I think I'd remember something like that. Okay, some things I had real trouble understanding:

1. Opal's... resurrection? Okay. Moment Koboi the Younger was shot, they combusted, because Time Paradox! I got that part. Koboi the Elder pulls herself back together from sheer willpower. I do not get this part. Combust Koboi should be dead/unexisting and yet she's still around to pull her body back together with... what? Where'd that body mass come from? Body gets turned into energy, use willpower to turn energy back into body? Aaaand where'd she get that black magic from? Why'd she need to be in the chute/power core/ whatever it is? Maybe I'm thickheaded, but the writing at this part apparently wasn't enough to convey the answers to my head.

2. The lock thing. Some 10000 or so years ago the Beserkers were buried with their boots out, and were being kept together with black magic. Hold it. HOLD IT. As I understand it, the second lock was a last ditch thing by Bruin Fadda (Whose name is so hard to remember I thought it was Brune Fredo when I started writing this review), using black magic to form a lock that could potentially kill all the humans on the earth. Okay. Great. So why are the Beserkers, who are part of the FIRST lock, "sealed with Bruin Fadda's black magic"? And mind, he's doing this after being mortally wounded by that Shaylock guy, who was trying to make it so humans could open the first lock, and so that he could use the Beserkers against the fairies. What happened to Shaylock? Oh never mind that he's just a background character who's supposed to motivate Bruin into creating the second lock. Except I don't see how a FAIRY (iirc the book mentions the irony of Opal, a fairy, using the locks) going against his own kind for no real reason could have motivated Bruin to create the second lock to kill the humans.

3. The first time the tale of Bruin and Shaylock was told, it's like, oh, gotta stop Opal because lock open= people dead. No variables. So whatever happened in the last part of the book? The lock was created so the user could choose to kill either humans or fairies? WAIT WHAT WHAT WHAT?!!? Shaylock tainted it? Shaylock was going to taint the first lock, and he's dead/dying by the time Bruin Fadda created the second lock, so that's ruled out. And if the lock kills every single human on the planet if opened plus possible ice age, what the heck happened back there? Killed all fairies in a small area plus one human with a fairy eye without creating an ice age. What.

4. Typical Artemis Fowl plot- ON NO ALL HOPE IS LOST JUST GOT SO OUTWITTED WITH OPAL. Then.. Oh YES ARTEMIS SAVED THE DAY AGAIN. But. What. Was. With. The. Hand. Thing. The first lock handprint could be pressed with a human handprint who probably doesn't have magic anymore. Fine, accepted as some magic mumble jumbo I missed. Nopal's hand fills the only-Opal-can-do-it handprint. Nopal's a clone, yes... same DNA and blah blah blah. But this is MAGIC. Y'know, I was kinda thinking of less same DNA in a SCIENCE! way and more Nopal doesn't have a soul, probably. Yet this "very perceptive magic" accepted her. Ohhkaaay. Meh, let it pass because Nopal's a copy of Opal, right?

5. Mumbleh, I'm getting tired. And I haven't even started with the more minor ones yet. Well, here's number 5: Bruin Fadda stayed behind to collapse the lip of the valley. AHEM. Excuse me? Why would you need to do that? Stay behind alone in mist, collapse the valley, then retreat. He didn't seem to get the chance and things didn't turn out too messy.

6. Bruin Fadda, legendary hater of humans. SO WHY DIDN'T HE JUST WIPE THEM OUT INSTEAD OF CREATING A REALLY COMPLICATED SECOND LOCK THING.

7. Artemis in the Plan. One that would rely on Opal and Foaly's traits. Basically, what would be called a Batman Gambit. I'll make a stretch here and just assume that the reliance on Foaly's paranoidness is in obtaining the two items he asks for. The second, hard to obtain item is obviously Nopal, but what is the first item, the toy in Foaly's desk?

8. In the Lost Colony, Artemis teleports a bomb via removal of silver bracelet to Demon Land. As they vanish, Butler thinks about how the boy never goes to the bathroom without a plan B.. Cut back to this book. In the barn, AMBUSH. TRAP. WHATEVER. Holly thinks about Artemis's two weaknesses, one of which is he's so confident in his intelligance he never makes a plan B. Are you kidding me. Even if it's just the difference in how a bodyguard and a fairy friend think, he's the guy who considered 8 plans (And calculated the succeed percentage. Probably should have calculated this one's too, figured out there was a fail chance, and made a back-up plan) in the Opal Deception! Even if he couldn't think up another one given the circumstances, that's no reason to fall apart.

9. Holly's ten times better at Artemis at flying that lightweight plane with the laser that for some reason, they didn't use to fry the lock with. I'll pass that by and blame the stolen/broken battery. Back to the 10x better thing. Holly's an accomplished shuttle pilot, yes. But if you take into account the probable difference between that plane and a fairy shuttle, and the fact that Artemis has been flying planes since age 9, Artemis would be better then Holly. Not to mention the foot flap problem. Where'd that go when Holly takes over?

That's 9, and I only read the book once. I'm willing to bet if I read it a second time specifically looking for mistakes, as well as get around to finishing the Atlantis Complex, I'll find more.

Note: I've dabbled in comics for some time now, and that may have some bearing on two things:
1. Opal Koboi, again. 8 books in a series, and let's see how many times she pops up: That time in the Arctic Incident where she orchestrates the Goblin thing, that time where she created a clone of herself and escaped in the Opal Deception, and this time. I didn't mind Opal the first time, nor her brilliant escape in the second, but three times in a total of eight books is a bit much, and add that to the messily written part...

2. Artemis got killed and resurrected. I like happy endings. Really. But having a character sacrifice his life then get resurrected in a morally dubious way is kinda taking the impact out of it. Though characters die and get resurrected in comics so much I have a personal dislike for this kind of thing, so this is handwaveable.

If you read through to here, Congratulations. I do think this is the longest review I have ever given.
55 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2014
Colfer once again paints an impossible situation where his characters get away by the skin of their teeth.
Colfer goes to his firmiliar mix of witty dialogue and vivid imagery to draw the reader in until the very last page.
on June 29, 2013
Eoin Colfer is a remarkably stable author. I always get what I expect out of an Artemis Fowl novel, and not in stagnant manner. He's found a method that works, and he sticks to it. This is the eighth and ostensibly the final one in the series, which is just as well. Colfer can't keep continually coming up with the high-concept plots that the series needs to thrive on, so he's decided to wrap it up with a bang.

The strengths, as always, are the punchy writing and dialogue, which remain a stunning combination of quirky world-building, punny authorial exposition, and biting sarcasm from the mouths of almost every single character. The sarcasm is a norm for the series, but I got a little tired of it. There's only one way to make a sarcastic joke in the Artemis Fowl world: state the opposite of what you are trying to say, pump up the hyperbole, and use it to diss your friends. That's about half of the jokes in this book.

Another point to address is the book's habit of rushing through plot points at a break-neck (though only occasionally literally) pace. The Atlantis Complex, a fairy mental disorder ailing Artemis in the last installment, is decreed to have completely healed the the opening scene of this book. That makes sense; the complex was the last book's high concept plot, and we've got a new one this time. The series has always been about plot over boring believablity, as you might be able to tell from the fact that it's about fairies with laser guns. Colfer might be reaching a little more in this book, since he needs to make sure it's a thematically appropriate send-off, but the plot still hold together decently.

Those problems included, I still enjoyed the book a great deal, mostly because it's heavy on an element that I don't see often enough. It has entire vignettes dedicated to moderately irrelevant, yet fun (and funny) side-stories. For example, Artemis' introduction in the opening six pages has the character of Dr. Jerbal Argon, who attempts to diagnose Artemis, fails, and is instead diagnosed by Artemis. The only purpose is to establish Artemis as a capable super genius, but it still tells us about Argon's personality. More examples include the unneeded but entertaining chapter titled "Engineer Ozkopy Has The Last Word" in which a perfectly ordinary dwarf named Kolin Ozkopy (get it?) who, knowing he's about to die by the hand of the recently escaped Opal Kobi, decides to at least annoy her as much as possible beforehand. Also, a slim chapter is devoted to explaining to the reader how intelligent trolls are, how they're drawn to magical hotspots, and how Gruff is the biggest and baddest, having been called both Bigfoot and the Abominable Snowman in the past. This chapter does tie into the plot later, when the troll turns up and confuses everyone with his random arrival.

Colfer's habit of writing entertaining side-stories not only serves to expand his world in a fun, anything-can-happen way, but it also lets him hide future plot points, setting up twists later. He understands the essential element to writing good plot twists: he must write in a manner so fun that no one realizes he's setting up the future story. I haven't liked any of Colfer's other books as much as the Fowl series, but I'll definitely take a look at what he comes out with next. I'm sure he'll have another best-selling series in the pipeline.
on April 12, 2014
Brilliant way to end the series. I Love Eoin Colfer and Artemis Fowl and I cant wait for the film. Great story with loads of twists and turns...just what I have come to expect from the series. I would recommend it to anyone!!
on September 29, 2012
The series of Artemis Fowl grows more intriguing with each book. This one is a terrific ride of one disasterous event after another. How can Artemis possibly extricate himself and his friends, and even his world, from this totally diabolical plot of Opal Kaboi? Great page turner with all the familiar and beloved characters making an appearance, plus the introduction of Artemis' twin brothers.
on December 26, 2012
I love this book. It wrapped up the series nicely and had an unexpected ending. I remember how Artemis was in the first book. A boy genius who worked in the shady side of things. He has grown up and learned to look beyond himself and to care for others. I would recommend this to anyone who has enjoyed this entertaining series. Sad to see it end.