4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised
Published on September 3, 2008 by Garret

3.0 out of 5 stars So who are the artifact people? And the doppelgangers?
The female lead is running from the strange mechanical sound
that seems to be finding and killing her close friends and even her lover.
A chase and doppelganger movie that seems to be about alien implants?
The acting isn't all bad, but the plot is really pretty strange.
No real answers here...
Published on September 12, 2008 by Roger Bagula

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness, October 8, 2008
This review is from: Artifacts (DVD)
I wish there were a system that would warn consumers if the DVD is a 'film' or a real movie. This is a film. It just ends with no answers. I had a lot of questions: Why didn't the things take the artifacts from the first bodies when they killed them? How did they make mechanical noises and why? Why did they chase their victims if they seemed to be able to teleport anywhere? If they had spirit-like bodies, why couldn't they go through walls and doors? What happened to the police investigation? What in the world was the point of this film? There are people around with pieces of metal implanted in them? There are clones trying to get people? I give it one star for the creepy mechanical sound I can now make to scare my wife.

3.0 out of 5 stars So who are the artifact people? And the doppelgangers?, September 12, 2008
Roger Bagula "Roger L. Bagula" (Lakeside, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
The female lead is running from the strange mechanical sound
that seems to be finding and killing her close friends and even her lover.
A chase and doppelganger movie that seems to be about alien implants?
The acting isn't all bad, but the plot is really pretty strange.
No real answers here...

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, September 3, 2008
This review is from: Artifacts (DVD)
I watch a lot of bad movies, and I expected this to be no different. I was quite blown away. The music is totally standout, the acting is pretty great (though it lags at times), and the story's progression is tense. The story is pretty sparse, but I think that's by design, and I felt it worked well for the film. The camera and lighting is pretty, um... indie, but the whole film's budget is just $100,000. The audio work, on the other hand, is top notch. It may not be the shiniest, most polished film ever, but it's creative and deftly told. I suggest it highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks Like a Student Film, August 30, 2008
This review is from: Artifacts (DVD)
Ridiculously bad movie. Looks like it was shot with a camcorder, badly lit, grainy visuals, grotesquely amateurish acting, laughable fight sequences. Save your money.

If you want to watch a GOOD movie about doppelgangers, try Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

3.0 out of 5 stars The word to best describe this movie is strange., January 18, 2011
This review is from: Artifacts (DVD)
This movie is the story of Kate, a young woman with her own company, a troubled relationship with her ex and otherwise a perfect life. One night she dreams that one of her friends get murdered, and when she the next day is called by the police about the murder, which really took place her nightmare begins. It seams that exact doubles of all of Kate's friends show up to murder them, Kate to have a evil twin hellbent on killing her.

Now this might sound like another pod people film, there have been allot of those mimicking Invasion of the Body Snatchers, however the copies here do not replace the originals, they just kill them. The plot is bizarre and no real answers are given in the end, however strange as it is I was drawn to the plot non the less. Many movies which is left without a proper explanation feels unended, I feel cheated somewhat, but here I feel that I have gotten a complete story, even if the film leaves the viewer with more questions than answers.

Artifacts is a hard movie to review as it looks more like some amateur film project than something actually made by a studio. It is obvious that the film is made on the cheap, there is few effects and the picture quality is lower than that of a VHS, meaning it is a grainy mess. The acting is okey but it is not outstanding. However the music, and especially the sound the copies makes as they near their victims help very well to set the mood. I would say that with this film the people behind it have done allot with what little budget they got.

The movie is strange, it have more flaws than i can count, it lacks finesse in every aspect, but I think there was some love put into making this film. This is more a paranormal mystery film than horror as there is few scares, and I rather enjoyed it. I was pulled in by the mood of the film and enjoyed the 80 minutes or so it lasted. If you like a bit strange horror movies with little gore but a somewhat original plot then you might like this one, but know what you are getting, this is more your movie buff neighbor making a film with his buddies than Hollywood, but for what it is I think it is worth watching.

Artifacts
Artifacts by Giles Daoust (DVD - 2008)
$14.98 $12.18