5.0 out of 5 stars The Thran!!!
Published on July 17, 2009 by Joker1430

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid accomplishment considering
Published 1 month ago by Genevieve Dietz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thran!!!, July 17, 2009
This review is from: Artifacts Cycle I: A Magic: The Gathering Omnibus (Paperback)
I've just finished the Thran section of the book. And if the Brothers War is as good as the Thran this book would be one of the greatest books i've read this year. Yawgmoth was an incredibly well written character. A monster and angel. I loved every page. J. Robert King did a fine job of introducing players of the game to the novel format. I never thought, being a serious player of the game, that the novels could be this engrossing. Spectacular. I look forward to the next omnibus and hope that Wizards decides to format the entire series in such a manner. R.A Salvatore's Drizzt Collection isnt the only story line that deserves HARDCOVERED attention!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid accomplishment considering, December 5, 2014
The narrative can often fall into a tedious telling of events as though the novel were more of a factual accounting of record rather than drawing you into the experience of what it "feels" like to be there. This is, however, still far above average writing for the source material, and I would say as long as your interest in Magic is great, you will probably enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artifacts I, September 12, 2012
The book arrived 30 days before the estimated date, even though it was an overseas order, in superb condition and without any problem at all. Highly recommend purchasing from Amazon. The book is indescribably mind-blowing, the plot of both books is grippping to the point you'll want to sleep 3 hours less to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books!, February 3, 2014
I loved both of these as a child, read them SO much I wore the damn books out. This is a replacement and a gift for a friend who is just starting into MTG lore.

5.0 out of 5 stars how it all began..., November 5, 2013
Magic the gathering fanatic player, that could not believe more flavour could be added to the already existing lore.
Apparently I was wrong.

This is not dictionary - it is not a book that describes magic cards and things that happen in the artwork. It is a standalone work of art that complements the game and makes you appreciate it even more because of it.
Colourfull caracters, good naration and succesion of events.

I was a bit intimidated by the volume size at first - but seeing that it keeps you on your toes, I can't remember how fast I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection for MTG story fans, April 25, 2011
I read these books when they first came out and enjoyed the tie ins to the card game and the back story. The story itself is far reaching and entertaining. It isn't deep but a good read for those fans of Magic the Gathering and fantansy.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to go deeper in MTG, BUY THIS, April 14, 2011
This is one of the most exciting books I ever read.

For the fans of MTG this book will lighten up most of the doubts on how it all started: the birth of Phyrexia (The Thran) and the ascencion of Urza ( Brother's War).

The books are well written and the action is great in both. Non stoping fights, creations of war and the birth of magic itself, together with the artifacts we all see in the TCG is constant.

I'm not really good at writting reviews, but here is my advice:

If play MTG you MUST buy this. If you dont, this is a GREAT fiction book, with a nice setting and characters that should hold your attention for sometime, if you are into magic related histories.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books of all time, January 13, 2015
One of my favorite books of all time. The Thran was masterfully written and had the most well crafted charters and setting the book is a tad large so don't count on shelving it with other standard size novels but the cover is even more attractive in person. I couldn't set it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the very beginning of the story of Dominaria ..., October 18, 2014
It is the very beginning of the story of Dominaria, and what happened when two brothers destroy it in their insane war. Urza and Mishra, the Meek Stone and the Might Stone, the opening to Phyrexia, the heart of Karn, the Weatherlight. You will never see your cards the same way...

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Great Books in One Cumbersome Volume, July 27, 2009
J. Stoner "Plants and Books" (Parkville, MO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Artifacts Cycle I contains two of the best books published in the M:TG multiverse: The Thran and The Brothers' War. Not only are these two books incredibly well written; but they are also two of the most important events in the history of Dominaria and the rest of the M:TG multiverse. I would absoultely, with a doubt, love to give this volume 5 stars; however, I can't even find myself the courage to give this book more than two stars (and even that is stretching it).

THIS BOOK IS HUGE! I don't mean it is huge as in thousands of pages; I mean HUGE as in mass and bulk. If I remember correctly The Thran was around 300 pages and The Brothers' War was closer to 400. Put these two mass market paperbacks together and you have a 700 page book (and we all know that many fantasy books are well over 700 pages this is not impossible for the printing press). Just sitting on your bookshelf the spine already curves because of the sheer girth, without ever reading it. Artifacts Cycle I is so cumbersome that I would never recommend it to anyone who actually wants to enjoy these great books. It is too annoying to hold and too annoying to read.

Additionally, for your standard price of $15 you could (hopefully) find both The Thran and The Brothers' War at a local bookstore and save a dollar. If not, get them used and save two dollars! The mass market paperbacks are much sexier books. The cover art is better, they are a better size, and the paper quality is much better.

The content of this book is above 5 STARS; the presentation should be 0 STARS. Wizards of the Coast should be ashamed of themselves for publishing not one, but two of these bohemiths (Artifacts Cycle I: A Magic: The Gathering Omnibus and Artifacts Cycle II: A Magic: The Gathering Omnibus). I'm sure there is an army of these monstrosities coming out (one for each cycle in the M:TG world).

Good reading,

J.Stoner

Artifacts Cycle I: A Magic: The Gathering Omnibus
Artifacts Cycle I: A Magic: The Gathering Omnibus by J. Robert King (Paperback - June 2, 2009)
Used & New from: $129.88