Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 29, 2012
...and this is the best resource I've found. When I make the brownies from this book, friends and family either can't tell they're GF or else they like this version better. And my husband prefers the pizza dough to any others WITH gluten. Other slam dunks include the pie/quiche crust, pancakes, muffins, and chocolate chip cookies. It's a bit of a pain to mix the big batch of flour every couple of months, but very worth the results.

Update 1/1/13 - I wanted to add that the only mixes I've come across that come close to these results are the King Arthur Flour mixes. Specifically I like their pancakes, brownies, and chocolate chip cookies. They are very expensive though, which is why I stick to the recipes in this book.

Update 6/22/14 - I just noticed a comment, and will respond to a few of the questions it contained:

1) Does the flour mix contain bean flours? No, the bulk of it is rice flour, sorghum flour, corn starch, and a few other flours, plus xantham gum.
2) Are the ingredients easy to find? Yes; I live in a rural area and have no trouble finding them all locally, although (not to plug amazon too much) I have the primary flours for this recipe on amazon subscription and save a bundle over grocery store prices.
3) Can you use regular rice flours or do you need the superfine ones? I use regular flour.
4) Do you need to weigh or is measuring accurate enough? Measuring is accurate enough.
5) How crucial are the proportions? I've never tried to tweak the recipe, so I can't really answer this one.
6) How much do you make at a time? The basic flour recipe is for 3 cups, but the authors also provide the quantities to quadruple it to make 12 cups at a time, which is what I do. Actually, I make two of these and freeze one.
7) Does this book have at least one no-fail sandwich bread recipe? I've tried the bread recipe and it was as good as Rudi's GF multi-grain (which is my preferred store-bought brand). However it takes so much flour to make the bread that I typically just buy Rudi's bread at Costco. It's cheaper for me, and I prefer to save the flour for pizza, pancakes, and muffins.

I'll also add that this book contains many more recipes than just baked goods (though that's primarily why I bought it). There are chapters on soups & salads, entrees (including lasagna, chicken parmesan, pork tamales), sides and appetizers, as well as desserts. Some of the recipes are automatically gluten-free (there's no substituting going on; e.g., mexican rice or indian red curry), but I think that makes it helpful for someone who isn't GF to cook for someone who is. Hope this helps!
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2012
I am enjoying working through the recipes in this exciting book! The Artisanal G-F flour blend hasn't failed yet - I've had great success with making the bread and various other baked goodies. It has really helped deal with the gluten-free intolerance I was diagnosed with a couple of years ago. Most g-f bread on the market is really awful to eat and is expensive, so it's wonderful to have the option of making my own from this no-fail recipe.
on March 18, 2013
My husband is gluten intolerant, but my daughter and I are not. I got tired of cooking two meals or separate versions of the same thing, so I knew I had to go gluten-free for our common meals. I tried several gluten-free cookbooks, but this is by far the best. Once you make the flour, you use it in all the reipes. Some cookbooks have you using different weird flours for different recipes. I love that there are nice family basics like pasta, pancakes, and muffins, plus some more adventourous baked goods and main meals.

The best part is that we can not taste a difference! Everything we've made so far tastes just as good as a version made with wheat flour. It's so nice to be able to share all our favorite foods again at the dinner table!
on March 21, 2015
I like this cookbook very much. Of special note: their GF flour blend is almost fool proof and I love the recipes for GF pastas. Some of the recipes recommend special equipment -- for example, a foley mill for the gnocchi and a pasta maker for the homemade pasta -- but I am enjoying expanding my kitchen gadget collection!

I have 2 complaints and thus only 4 stars:

1. Too many "filler" recipes. Do I really need an entire page with a recipe for brown rice? That's it. Plain brown rice. Also, I purchased this cookbook to learn how to make gluten free versions of things that have gluten. This cookbook has tons and tons of recipes I don't need in a GF cookbook because those recipes never had gluten or wheat to begin with. Makes looking through the cookbook a little frustrating. The cookbook could be 1/3 the length.

2. Not enough photos. Their family cookbook is beautifully designed with photos for every recipe. This cookbook doesn't have enough photos (though apparently the first edition had none, so at least this updated edition is an improvement). I would have preferred fewer filler recipes (see #1) and more photos.
on September 8, 2012
I bought this for my daughter because my grand daughter is gluten-free dairy-free and she loves it. The mix of the differnt flours and there is a cake recipe that she said is killer good. So please enjoy

Vickie
on October 22, 2012
I absolutely LOVE this cookbook! I purchased this book along with one of Carol Fenser's and Betty Hagmen's GF cookbooks and prefer this cookbook hands down over the others (even though the other two are fine cookbooks as well). This Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking cookbook has the BEST flour mix of all. I have substituted their flour mix in recipes that I used to use regular flour in one for one and the GF version almost always outshines the original version. I love too that the recipes in here were created in a similar altitude as mine (my altitude is 6200 ft) so I have very little adjusting to do to get recipes to turn out fabulous. I haven't made any bread recipes yet but look forward to it. Excellent recipes plus good cook tips. Love the back story on the recipes as well. Will probably buy their expanded newer edition too. Hats off to the Bronski's!
on August 27, 2012
This is a must have for people living a gluten free life. Their basic flour mix is the key to all things delicious. They understand taste and texture and bring it all together especially in their bread, muffin, and pancake recipes. Haven't tried the pasta yet... Thanks for opening this world back up to us.
on June 11, 2013
When I first gave up gluten, I tried so many different flour blends--every GF cookbook author has developed his/her own blend, or blends; so with a number of cookbooks in hand, it can be extraordinarily expensive to make up so many different blends for just a recipe or two each. After all the (flour) dust settled, what I found was that I invariably returned to the first edition of this book, making up the Bronski's flour blend more often than any other. It has more flavor, and is less expensive to make than many. I will NOT discuss the number of Belgian waffles I have since consumed (its fairly obvious to those who know me), but I do see them on the cover of this edition. I bought it more as a tribute to the authors than out of real need. It has been expanded a bit, and as in the first edition, many recipes are gluten-free without any flour blend at all. But the authors so obviously enjoy cooking, eating, and sharing both with friends and readers, that it is a pleasure to read, cook and eat from this book. Highly recommended.
on February 7, 2013
This book has established an awesome and tasty gluten free flour blend which leaves you thinking a "Wow!" what a nice unique taste. Dont get me wrong, I bake regularly and have a love affair with gluten but occasionally I must cater to someone with a wheat allergy and this book usually does the trick. I've made a free standing Quiche and not only was it delicious but the crust actually held its own. Another great thing as that they include the weights of the ingredients along side with the typically volumetric measurements (weights are more accurate and will give you better results especially when deal with flours). If you just

It also includes great savory recipes like Orange Glazed Chicken with White Rice. In other words it includes innovative recipes sans gluten as well as recipes that naturally don't include wheat.
on April 7, 2014
I love this book. I own about 50 gluten free cookbooks. A lot I know. And this one is my all time favorite. It has one mix with a few flours that are easy to find, and the recipes are delicious. I also use the flour mix as a substitute for other recipes, and they turn out amazing! All the recipes turn out as well. I don't ever have any problems. I would recommend this book for anyone that is gluten free. The only thing is that it has dairy and eggs in a lot of the recipes. So if you're a vegan than this book is not for you.