5.0 out of 5 stars I Have Cookies Again!
Published on January 18, 2010 by Sara J. Lutz

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have preferred more "adapted" GF Recipes
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:46 Mins
Hi, I'm a GF cook and cookbook collector! In this video, I talk about why I think this book is probably not one you need to add to your cookbook shelf.
Published on January 30, 2011 by CeliacWheatLover

5.0 out of 5 stars I Have Cookies Again!, January 18, 2010
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
This is really a wonderful book. I'm not sure why I was so surprised to find this the case - I've read their website for months and always enjoyed their recipes and style of writing... but I think I had been so disappointed by some other gluten free cookbooks, that I was trying to not get my hopes up. Now, this and Carol Fenster's 1000 gluten free recipes are the first two books I reach for when its time to cook.

The flour blend works beautifully. My first attempt was their chocolate chip cookie recipe. I think in the 8 months I've had to deal with my celiac I have made 20+ recipes... and most ended up in the trash. Either tooth shatteringly hard, weird flavors, or a consistency more in keeping with Floam (the children's aerated play sand) than a cookie. Theirs? Chewy. Soft. Delicious! I have cookies again! I haven't been that excited about the thought of sitting down with a cookie and a glass of cold milk since I was 6.

Breads, soups, main dishes, desserts - all presented in a wonderful style. Great recipes, easy to follow - no weird ingredients that you can't track down! After months of not knowing what to cook - I can't wait to have friends over for dinner again. I don't have to worry that folks won't want "weird" food - its all wonderful. And just happens to be gluten free.

2.0 out of 5 stars Would have preferred more "adapted" GF Recipes, January 30, 2011
Length:: 0:46 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Artisinal Gluten Free Cooking - a cookbook where "from scratch" translates into GREAT FOOD that is easy to prepare with little e, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
When I see the words "from scratch", three thoughts immediately pop in to my head: way better food for sure, but probably more time and more effort. However these recipes are crafted to economize your time and effort AND provide useful tips and instructions that you can translate to all your food preparation to make it easier, faster, and guarantee terrific results. While these recipes are from around the world, they were written for the American kitchen. In fact many of the entrees can be prepared in the same amount of time it takes you to go and pick up take out! But most importantly these recipes are delicious and flavorful; full of variety and good nutrition. This book also offers a great deal of very helpful information on being Gluten-Free; not only the last places you would ever dream of finding gluten; but how to navigate the supermarket, set up your kitchen, and stock your cupboards. Artisinal Gluten-Free Cooking is fun to read - a book to be enjoyed and kept on your kitchen shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Tasty Recipes for Gluten-Tolerant People, Too!, October 19, 2009
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
These are truly delicious recipes even for people who are gluten-tolerant. I am one of those people, and I have to say that this cookbook contains the best belgian waffle recipe I have ever had. The variety and little "tidbits" make it a fun and tasty cookbook. I also appreciate the way the authors have kept the from-scratch recipes simple enough that even a busy mom of a 2 year old can make.! I really look forward to exploring other recipes in the book, especially that mouth-watering lasagna on the front cover.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing as an "artisanal" cookbook, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
The first page I opened to was French Toast.

Really? Basically, here's how to make gluten free French toast - just like regular french toast except use gluten free bread! Whoa, artisanal, genius.

Here are some other not so terribly creative gluten free interpretations:

Home made gluten free "Artisanal" French Fries - (Deep fry some cut up potatoes.. you would never have thought of that, huh?)

Mashed potatoes (you get the idea... who doesn't already know how to make mashed potatoes?)

Roasted potatoes.

Grilled asparagus.

Rice (rice? Really? Does rice need to be in a cookbook, ever?)

Fruit punch. (In what way could you ever make fruit punch with gluten?)

And *my personal favorite* from this "artisanal cook book": a "recipe" for corn on the cob (um, let me guess... boil water, add ears of corn?)

Ice cream..

Roasted turkey...

I agree with some of the other 2* reviewers - this gluten free cookbook is mis-marketed as if it is a really chef-worthy cookbook, where it should be marketed as "So you can't have gluten and you've never cooked ANYTHING, EVER before." Maybe I should publish a gluten free cookbook - my first one is going to be cut up bananas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gluten free cookbook for me, BAR NONE, February 21, 2010
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 12/2008, so I've only been on a gluten free diet for a little over a year, but I've spent 48 eating wheat, and one of my favorite thing is baking. I started with the most popular and widely read gluten free cookbooks, and thank god for those books and authors, but I can't STAND the taste of bean flour which most of those books use. I prefer finely ground brown rice flour or white rice flour, sorghum flour, and prefer to add in a bit of flax meal. In addition, I've spent many a day baking gluten free only to throw it in the trash. Not any more!! Thank GOODNESS, this cookbook uses NO bean flour in recipes!!! Yeeee HA!! Recipes taste great, and no the point that no one would know they are gluten free.

I do have to say, I was raised and born in the same part of the US as the authors, so I find that many of the recipes are ones that are extremely familar to me.

This book has some of THE BEST recipes and ones I've dreamed of making gluten free, but couldn't find a recipe for. These include:

Molasses cookies (like what my mom used to make)
Zucchini cake
EASY 6 ingredient brownies
Peanut butter Chocolate bars (like that famous recipe that makes bars that taste like peanut butter cups!)
Magic Bars (like that famous "7 laver bars")
Chicken Piccata
Scalloped potatoes and ham
Chicago style deep dish pizza
gnocchi
6 kinds of rice
Mozzarella sticks
And many, many more tasty and interesting recipes: such as home made tamale's, home made torillas, tasty soups, asian noodle bowl, crab cakes, cinnamon rolls, frittatas, ............the list goes on and on.

Try this book, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten-Free Cooking - Easy and Tasty!, October 20, 2009
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking is a great resource to have in the kitchen, even for those who don't have to eat gluten-free food. I have seen a couple of other cookbooks geared toward the gluten-free lifestyle but they can't even compare to this one. So far, in my experience, the recipes in this cookbook are all easy to follow and turn out great! No more flavorless gluten-free packaged food for me! The pictures make me hungry just looking at them. This cookbook is unique from many others because of the wide range of cuisines it covers, the food trivia and cooking techniques taught throughout, and the stories that introduce each recipe and bring them to life. I enjoy eating a variety of foods and having them together in one book makes it much easier for me; now I look forward to cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!! Success!!!, May 22, 2010
I have been cooking & baking gluten-free for about 2 years now, after
discovering my own sensitivity to gluten. Since then, my brother has
discovered that he's sensitive to gluten as well. I've bought numerous
GF books, & have done alot of recipe browsing online, but have never
found success or had my cravings satisfied from any of my baking attempts.
Until now!

I am surprised this book is getting so few reviews! I bought this book
about a month ago, and have tried a good number of recipes so far - each
one of them has been Fabulous! The Peanut Butter Cookies are A-MAZE-ING!!
(I added a cup of mini Chocolate Chips! YUM!) The Chocolate Chip Cookies
are sooooo good! Almost too good. I have a hard time eating less than 4
at a time. (hint: try them with butterscotch chips too!)

These are the first cookie recipes that I have actually enjoyed. And it
isn't a fluke... I've tried the recipes a couple different times juuuust
to make sure they turn out as good each time... ;) The cookies do not
crumble; They hold together, & they are actually Chewy!! The texture is
just a touch different than the regular cookies I used to make (using
regular flour) but the flavor is absolutely delicious!
This book uses an Artisan Flour Blend which includes 6-7 ingredients, not
merely brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch like most books
use. The flavor is great, the texture is fantastic! I have another book
which states that their Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookiea recipe is the BEST
ever, but compared to this book, their recipe is pitiful.(Gluten-Free Baking Classics)

In addition to the cookies, I have also tried the Deep Dish Pizza, Zucchini
Cake, Apple pie & Regular Bread recipes. Every last one of them has been a
delicious success! The rest of my family eats gluten, and they can't believe
they are GF! If you are looking for a yummy Gluten Free Book with a unique
compilation of recipes... or even if you just want to sink your teeth into a
delicious Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie... You've gotta try this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flour Blend Out There, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
I'm a gluten free blogger, and I've been reading gluten free blogs for almost 3 years now. I have tried many recipes out there (internet, books, word of mouth), and usually the flour mixes vary by the recipe. It is so nice to have a blend that will substitute 1:1 with many gluten containing recipes, as well as one that works for EVERY recipe in this book.

While a few recipes had to be updated from the first version (which I own) due to misprints (like on the bread recipe, which is a very important recipe and can be found on the AGFC website), I stick by this book and the writers 100%. They've been available to answer my questions when I've had them, and they've always been extremely kind.

I do hope they market their blend at some point (as I haven't a large enough bowl to make a 12 cups batch yet), but until then I'll happily mix away when I want something yummy to eat.

My favorite recipe so far has been the snickerdoodle cookies. My mom used to bake me a batch every now and then and mail them to me, and I remember her making them for me as a child. Now she can't bake any cookies for me, but I can think of her when I am baking these.

Mahalo Peter and Kelli!

2.0 out of 5 stars Gluten free? Yes. But in an offhand way..., June 1, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking (Paperback)
I am a recent convert to gluten-free cooking and baking and I've been reading a lot of cookbooks lately, hoping to find good substitutions for some of the gluten-based foods I like to make.

The Bronskis' have written a decent, general cookbook; as a specialty cookbook, it is disappointing. Most of the recipes are gluten-free in the way that, say, Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone recipes are gluten-free. Grilled asparagus and tomato salsa are pretty much gluten-free by default, right? Why include basic recipes like this in a cookbook catering to a specialized audience?

If you don't want a cluster of cookbooks in your kitchen or you want to reach for a cookbook and know that the recipes are gluten-free, this is an adequate choice. As a cookbook for someone who doesn't cook often or is a beginner it is a good choice. For the experienced, there are better options, including Flying Apron's Gluten-free and Vegan Cookbook and The Gluten-free Vegetarian Kitchen.

Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking
Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking by Peter Bronski (Paperback - November 3, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.93