5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, you really *do* need another GF cookbook!
I hesitated buying this book. I already own a bunch of GF cookbooks, including the other book by the Bronski's, and I'm also comfortable converting regular baking recipes to be gluten free. Ultimately it was an impulse buy that turned out to be a very good purchase. Here are my observations:

- The book is smaller than I expected. It is probably about 7...
Published on August 2, 2011 by Kathryn Gawne

Published 11 months ago by S Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, you really *do* need another GF cookbook!, August 2, 2011
Kathryn Gawne (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)

- The book is smaller than I expected. It is probably about 7 inches by 6 inches. Each recipe takes a page or more and every cupcake is photographed.

- The photography in this book is stunning. This was a pleasant surprise as the photography in their first cookbook was not great. The pictures in this book make me want to bake every single recipe.

- The authors pay great attention to detail in this book. They talk about the different ingredients they call for, the tools they recommend, different types of cake and frosting, how to make filled cupcakes, and how to frost a cupcake beautifully. They include a chapter with charts about how to substitute ingredients if you need to cook vegan, dairy-free, egg-free or refined sugar-free. They also include a chart with metric conversions of various ingredients (including their flour mixture) if you prefer to bake by weight.

- There are 50 cupcake recipes in this book. There are also recipes for blondies, gingerbread people, chocolate cookies, mini cannoli shells, snickerdoodles, and pancakes. There are some recipes where the cupcake base is repeated, or altered a smidge with a different flavoring. The recipes are varied and creative enough (mango buttercream, anyone!) that I don't feel at all cheated by this. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to come up with 50 different recipes for cake that didn't piggyback on a basic chocolate or white cake recipe.

- I have made the basic chocolate and white cupcakes so far. Both were excellent. I would have no qualms about feeding them to gluten-eating guests. The taste and texture were just right. I halved each recipe with no problem to the finished cupcakes.

- I don't see why you couldn't convert some of the recipes to bake into a regular cake. Each recipe makes 24 cupcakes. With this amount of batter you could make a 9x13 sheet cake or two 8 or 9 inch rounds. I haven't tried it, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to...

These days I'm pretty picky about adding another GF cookbook to my library, but this was a worthwhile purchase that I expect to get a lot of mileage from.

5.0 out of 5 stars yum! Not Disappointed, June 18, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
I have tried quite a few of these recipes, and they have all turned out deliciously. Actually I've gone a bit cupcake crazy over the last week, trying a new recipe everyday. I love the variety of the recipes, and the photographs are beautiful. All of the recipes call for the same gluten-free flour blend (recipe provided), so you only have to keep four or five common types of flour on hand instead of a dozen or more types like some other cookbooks require. I make a big batch of the flour blend and keep it in my fridge or freezer. I will warn you that the recipes all call for quite a bit of butter and sugar, but there are charts on how to substitute agave nectar and non-hydrogenated shortening, as well as tips on how to make the recipes vegan, egg-free, etc. I've also been experimenting with a lot of my own substitutions (non-fat yogurt for sour cream, xylitol and other sweeteners for the sugar/agave nectar, etc.) and have been equally as pleased with the results, so the recipes appear to be very versatile. I find that the frosting recipes can easily be halved - they yield at least twice the amount that I would use on a batch of cupcakes, but of course you can save whatever you don't use for your next batch. And I prefer mini-cupcakes, which I bake for about 14 minutes instead of the time recommended for the larger cupcakes. All in all, I was hesitant to purchase this book since there were no customer reviews yet, but I was excited enough about it to go for it, and I'm not disappointed. There are only two or three recipes that I don't see myself making, so I look forward to working my way through all of the rest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 18, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
I am in heaven, I just made the snickerdoodle cupcakes and used store bought vanilla icing. The texture and flavor are wonderful! I don't feel like I am eating a gluten free cupcake. I really like this book because it not only has cupcake recipes but also a few extras like a gluten free snickerdoodle cookie recipe. I am going to make those next!

The photos in the book are really nice and make your mouth water and there are lots of them too. I can't wait to make the mojito cupcakes and then the key lime cupcakes with filling.

The basic gf flour mix they use has brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato flour, potato starch, cornstarch, xantham gum...
I found all the ingredients easily except for potato flour but I used extra brown rice flour instead. Potato flour and potato starch flour is not the same thing btw. I was able to find Swan brand potato starch flour which is starch (not flour even though it's in the name). I did read where you can take instant potato flakes and grind them to make potato flour but just didn't want to bother with that.

I highly recommend this book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, July 24, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
I was so excited for this new book. I've tried out several recipes that have been great. I do feel like a few of the recipe are just filler though. The same exact recipes for the cake but with just a different frosting or different extract added instead of the whole recipe being different. Which is fine, the recipes are good, but why act like there is more going on?

Overall, great starter recipes and inspirations for all bakers, not just gluten free. I served the vanilla and red velvet this weekend to a big wedding shower and they were gobbled up without a second thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best GF baked good yet, July 9, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
I am a life-long baker who, once I became gluten-sensitive, has been frustrated with the texture and taste of the many GF recipes I've tried. This cookbook has changed that by creating recipes that have worked around the inherent limitations, producing a light, moist cupcake that is worthy of being served to ALL guests, not just those who are gluten-intolerant.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE AWARE - There's a typo in the basic flour recipe (used in every cupcake recipe in this book)!, February 25, 2014
S Brown (Clackamas, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
Be Aware: Every cupcake recipe in this book uses the same basic flour blend on page 10. But the "3 cup" recipe has a typo in the number of grams of potato starch. A big typo - It calls for 4 times the amount required! (It should be 37 grams of potato starch, not 148 grams.) This mistake means the cupcakes will not hold together. I've wasted time/money/frustration on 4 batches of different cupcakes from this book, before I discovered their typo. Don't waste your time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
I really love this book, and have been very happy with the results I've gotten. I love the variety of different kinds of cupcakes beyond just the traditional flavors you usually see. The creativity of the authors really shines through, but they have followed that up with excellent recipes that are detailed and beautifully photographed. I also really love the substitution section in the back, and have made all of my cupcake batches dairy-free. So far I have made the pina colada, mint chocolate, orange dreamsicle, pistachio, and strawberry. They have all been great, with the shining star being the strawberry. I made it with fresh local strawberries and it is the best cupcake I have ever had in my life. I served all of the flavors to friends and coworkers who couldn't tell they were gluten free, the flour blend doesn't have any of the weird texture that gluten free so often has. Really happy to have found this book, and am excited to keep trying recipes. The only problem I've found is that my bake time is always more than the recipe states, and I have found this with recipes from other sources and other ovens, so I now just routinely increase the temperature and the bake time, but am wonderting if other people have this problem with gluten free recipes?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
This is a must have for your collection if you are looking for a good gluten free cupcake. I made several for a friend's birthday party, as all of her kids have issues with gluten. I made the chocolate, vanilla, snickerdoodle and pumpkin spice. LOVED them. I was a little worried at the texture of the batter - I had never made GF cupcakes before and learned that it is VERY important to smooth down the tops as the authors suggest - otherwise they come out looking like popovers! But they came out super moist, great texture and the master blend of flour was easy - kind of expensive with all of the stuff you need, but its well worth it and you get a lot of the blend from it. Great book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Will be experimenting with different flour blends, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
Such a bummer to write the first mediocre review (especially given my excitement when I ordered it), but I will begin by saying that I intend to experiment with more of the recipes and possibly utilize a different flour blend in hopes that it will help. I made two cupcakes per the book's instructions, utilizing their Artisan Gluten-Free Flour blend--the vanilla cupcakes (classic) and the chocolate peanut butter cupcakes--and though they looked and smelled so wonderful when they came out of the oven, the first bite gave way to a cupcake with that unmistakable "gluten free" something-in-here-is-weird-and-there's-an-unpleasant-aftertaste taste that comes with so many of the "best" gluten free baking books. Such a bummer! My non-GF (and therefore fabulously objective) husband agreed that something was "off" with the cupcakes, though he absolutely loved the peanut butter frosting, so that was a plus! I'm willing to try mixing up a brand new batch of the flour using all new bags of the component flours in the event that perhaps some of my ingredients were past their peak freshness point (and if it helps, I will be happy to change my review), but I cycle through my baking flours pretty quickly, so I don't think that was the problem. I also intend to try the recipes with a gluten free blend that I get locally here in Maryland (Jules Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour--if you can get it, it is the closest thing to "real" flour you have ever experienced--positively amazing), as many of the recipes really are very innovative and delightful-sounding (caramel apple pie and cannoli cupcakes), so I am hopeful that all-in-all the book will not be a total let-down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Options Beyond GF, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes (Paperback)
I have the authors' other cookbook and really like it so was excited to see this one. I just made my first batch --the chocolate cupcakes with the chocolate frosting and I'm thrilled. The recipes are very adaptable. Instead of using the flour mix recommended by the authors I used that from the Cooking with Isaiah cookbook primarily because I already had a big batch made up. I simply eliminated the Xantham Gum since it's already in my flour mix. What I also love about this cookbook is there's a chart in the back for converting the cupcakes to GF and Dairy free for those who have extra dietary considerations. I'm thrilled with that and will be using those conversions when making cupcakes for classroom parties and other similar events.

I have a ton of GF cookbooks, but would say this is a definite must-have.

Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes
Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes by Peter Bronski (Paperback - June 28, 2011)
Used & New from: $10.27