5.0 out of 5 stars Discover the joy of art journaling
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:55 Mins
Artist's Journal Workshop is a wonderful book for anyone looking to start a sketch journal. It's a 144-page paperback with beautifully laid out pages.

It's packed with lots of tips on finding ideas, and from there, you can discover which style suits you. This book really brings across how fun sketching can be.

There are 27...
Published on July 5, 2011 by Parka

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as Kindle
I made the mistake to buy this book as a Kindle. Art book, or book with a lot of illustration might still be best appreciated in codex form.
The main problem is that the image and the text do not always fit on the same screen (not at least at the font size that is comfortable for me on the screen). So it takes some back and forth, and one can lose one's place in the...
Published 18 months ago by A reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover the joy of art journaling, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures (Paperback)
Length:: 0:55 Mins

There are 27 artists who share their sketch pages in this book. Some of them are Danny Gregory, Nina Johansson, Liz Steel, Lapin, Cathy Johnson herself, of course, and many more. They also share their insights.

Since this book is about journaling, the examples are mostly about illustrating what you see. It can be drawing people, places, animals or food. It's very inspiring to check out all the artists' work, even the seemingly mundane stuff look interesting when illustrated.

Highly recommended, especially to sketchbook lovers.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars great for anyone who wants to keep & create any kind of art journal!!!, July 28, 2011
MJB "mjb" (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
This book gives any journal keeper or wanna be journal keeper some great ideas to help inspire you or figure out exactly what you want to do with your sketchbook journals. The book includes suggestions for travel journaling, daily journaling, nature journaling, spiritual etc and not just samples of what others have done, but questions for the reader to explore and think about to help develop individual journaling that means something to you. I especially love the "Try This" exercises the author included in each chapter such as "describe your day," "abstract the scene," "travel-record the details," "sketch family mementos," "map family moves" and lots of other fun ideas to explore.

While showing some useful, beautiful and inspirational examples of ways other experienced and talented artists have kept journals, Ms. Johnson's book expands on the examples and gives tips for developing content as well as some guidance on materials that are easy to use and portable. She presents things very simply for beginners, in a completely non-intimidating way. However, those who have some art experience will appreciate the fact that she didn't over do the "how to paint with watercolors" section, but rather includes a discussion on how to use a variety of materials that work together and are easy just to throw in your purse or art bag. I haven't ever used colored pencils or acrylics because they seem too complicated of a medium to work properly for me, but after reading her suggestions I may experiment with some of these other mediums for fun in small sketches in my journal.

Ms. Johnson's book is easy for anyone at any level to use, skim it for ideas or read it cover to cover. It's a beautiful book and one that is clearly going to be a new classic on the topic of sketchbook journaling. Others I highly recommend are any of the Danny Gregory books, Everyday Matters, The Creative License, and An Illustrated Life; The Decorated Journal by Gwen Diehn; Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles Roth. Also recommend DVD Beginning Watercolor Journaling by Gay Kraeger and Christina Lopp. Drawing from Life, the Journal as Art by Jennifer New has some interesting examples of how a variety of journal keepers approach and keep a journal. Highly recommend the Urbansketchers website and blog, [...] for excellent examples of art journaling from all corners of the world. Cathy Johnson is one of my favorite contributors to that website.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Book I've Found on Sketchbook Journaling, July 8, 2011
Leslie (Prosperity, PA) - See all my reviews
I'm an avid sketcher and am always on the lookout for another book on sketching and art journaling. Cathy Johnson's "Artist's Journal Workshop" is not just more of the same - it has so much more content than any other title on my bookshelf, and the pages are loaded with inspiring artwork showing a wide variety of techniques and styles. I loved every page! I enjoyed it so much that I wanted the experience of reading it to last, so I rationed the pages and only allowed myself to read a few every day. As I saw the end coming closer, I kept thinking, "No, not yet!" When I read that last page, I did something I've never done before - I turned the book over and started again at the beginning! I'll be rereading this book for years to come and learning something new in each reading, I'm sure. I'm already putting into practice some of the great ideas presented in the book. THANK YOU, CATHY!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book!!!!, June 24, 2011
This book was exactly what I hoped it would be and more. She is inspiring and encouaging. It also has some of my other favorite artists in the book. I will go back to this book over and over again. Every single page has something beautiful on it. I highly recommend it. Pam

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Stars!, July 6, 2011
I am addicted to thumbing through art books for inspiration and to provoke me to DO ART! Usually I get a book, look at all of the photos and how-tos and then add it to my collection for future reference.
Yesterday I received my copy of the Artist's Journal Workshop. The photos are amazingly inspirational & provoking. What truly has me shocked/delighted is the written content.
I read Cathy's introduction and became hooked.... reading EVERYTHING! I soaked up more and more outstanding and practical tips & discussions. This may be a truly life-altering book for me. Having always, as an Artist, intended to keep an Artist's Journal, I now feel I have the tools of knowledge to make this a part of my everyday.
You can get hundreds of books to discuss materials and beginner techniques, this is a book that goes into the heart of the person who desires to make this practice of Art Journaling a very real part of their life.
From simple doodles to elaborate renderings of moments in time, you can start right where you are now, with what you have. Pack a ballpoint & little notebook, or take your art studio with you! This book will inspire you to start and provoke you to make it your own.
Thank you Cathy! This is my favorite art book of the hundreds I own! Easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, June 30, 2011
This is an awesome book! I've painted in watercolors for years but just started journaling a few years ago. This is an informative and inspirational book, with new things to try, information on paints and watercolor pencils and more! I highly reccomend it if you're just starting out or if you've been painting for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fine book on keeping a true art journal, September 12, 2011
First, Cathy Johnson is not writing (another) book about "visual journaling" or "art journaling". She is writing and showing how to keep an actual artist's journal....that is, a record of art made by the journalist, with or without narrative, to show progress in painting, or to document a trip, or to track development of an artistic idea. This is not about layering and collaging, sad, tilted faced women, vintage stamps or clothing, steampunk, or any of the other journaling ideas that are out there. This one is for a watercolorist or sketch maker who wants to keep some ideas in a more or less permanent form without having to make a big deal painting every time he or she picks up a brush.

Very inspiring and refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb inspiring book, April 9, 2012
My brother bought this book for me as he knew I wanted it as soon as I saw it in USA. He brought it to the airport as a surprise as I was flying back to UK. I read it all the way home through the night! It is the best book I have ever read about keeping a sketchbook. It is full of practical advice concerning all manner of media and examples of many artists' varying styles and subjects. The layout is designed to keep you motivated with useful tip boxes. There are sections with websites and other reference books. I have read and re-read it so many times. My only regret is that Cathy Johnson has not yet come up with Book 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK AS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, June 28, 2011
Whether you're a professional artist, hobbyist, art student, novice, or just someone who likes to keep illustrated journals, this book is guaranteed to inspire you to keep a journal and draw/write in it everyday. Cathy Johnson and the other artists who have contributed to making this book show creative ways in keeping a journal and what kind of things you can put into it. You will find yourself always wanting to carry a pen and journal around with you. The book is filled with tons of colorful journal pages and fun/helpful experiments and tips that will have you eager to try them yourself.

And for goshsakes it's ONLY $13.10!!! This is a steal considering all the information and artwork you're getting in this book! I would have gladly paid for the full price!

The book came in mint condition and earlier than estimated date. 2 thumbs up for seller :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Creativity Boost!, June 26, 2011
A life-long artist, I found sketching about a year ago. I'm on my 4th sketch book already! This collection of so many artists provides wonderful ideas for making my sketches and text richer and more expressive. It seems there is so much information packed into this, that it will be a reference for years to come.

Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures by Cathy Johnson (Paperback - June 27, 2011)
$22.99 $16.78