Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 15, 2009
I think this is a great product. I bought it so that I could use it to turn complex scientific illustrations into line drawings for a class I teach and it is perfect for my purposes. It's lightweight, easy to move around, and sufficiently bright to do what I need it to do. It's also a good size for the price - you can trace a whole sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper with room to spare. For anyone who wants a simple, easy to use, and inexpensive light box, this is a good choice. I imagine it might not be appropriate for very heavy use and it is perhaps not as durable as some more expensive and/or professional models. However, for anyone who will use it only occasionally or will need to move a light box around from place to place (I'm thinking scrapbookers might fall into this category), this is a great little product. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of mine and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
0Comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2010
I bought this product about 6 years ago, I have dropped it over and over and the bulb has never gone out. I do my art for a living so I use it everyday, 6 years of dropping and constant use and its just as good as when I pulled it from the box. Its bright which I like. I do alot of bristol board work, and it easily goes through two pieces. I have a massive 4foot by 2.5foot custom light table and still prefer this one for its portability and durability. I have also used fabric on it, did a dark green bag with printer paper below it and I was able to see the details just fine. Not so great with super thick watercolor paper but I havent found a light table that is, just too thick of paper.

All in all its a great product
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I love my Light tracer! It produces nice bright light without being blinding to look at. The surface of the box does not get hot, so you can work with it for a long time.

I use it to transfer my drawings onto fabric for quilting and embroidery, and it works beautifully.

10" by 12" size does not limit me to that size artwork. It is easy to transfer larger drawing by doing them in pieces. I just shift both the drawing and the fabric, since it is so easy to see through fabric and drawing to re-align them once you move to the next section.

The light box is light and stores away neatly. The cardboard case that it came in is sturdy and has a handle. The box is easy to store it away and take it out when you need it.
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2008
i needed a light box but they're really expensive... so after searching the internet long and hard [for about thirty minutes or so] i stumble across this. it's the most inexpensive light box i saw without it being 5x7.
it's already aided me a tremendous amount and it's good enough to see through thick water color paper.
i love it.
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2004
Although some animators use much larger and more expensive light boxes to draw with, this simple desktop version is a cheaper and more manageable alternative. We use these in all of our Manga and Anime workshops. The box provides a nice even lit area (no "hot spots") and a slight tilt to the drawing surface to make it more like a drafting table and easier to see what you are doing. The built-in pencil slot is handy for holding a few frequently-used pencils or pens. The lightweight plastic body and small size make it about as portable as you can expect a lightbox to be. It could use a carrying handle, though!
on January 23, 2014
This thing is USELESS! A night light is brighter than this stupid thing. I put a page of the manual that came with the product on it and it wasn't even bright enough to shine through the page! What is the point of this product? I would seriously recommend you look elsewhere for a light box, because all this one is is a box. No light. You'd be better off making your own with a night light! I'll attach a picture.

Later that same evening....

OK, so I cracked open the light box. Boy, what a dumb way to put this thing together. There is a plastic sheet inside that looks like paper, but is actually glossy white plastic. It was COVERING the bulb, which is what was making it dim. I took the sheet out and the box was much brighter. I thought "hmmmm...what if..." and it occurred to me that the white plastic "sheet" is actually a reflector. So I cracked open the light box again and tried to shove the sheet BEHIND the bulb...but something was blocking it. I could not get the sheet to go all the way behind the light bulb. I looked and saw a wire. I figured "mmmkay, whatever" and proceeded to take the bulb out. Half an hour, and 13,041 swear words later I got the bulb out. That wire? It was sticking through the seam of where the electrical housing meets the base of the light box. It's not supposed to be sticking out like that. It was crammed through the seam and squished. I shoved it back into the housing. I put the bulb back in and slid the plastic sheet behind the bulb. I briefly reconsidered whether life was worth living after this whole ordeal, but I soldiered on and plugged the light box back in and flipped the switch. Nothing. I cracked the light box open again and spent another few minutes taking the bulb out and put it back in, wiggling, jiggling, manoeuvring, every way I could until I finally felt the click that felt right. I switched it on again and VOILA! LIGHT! GLORIOUS BRIGHT LIGHT! BUT OMG WHY DID THEY MAKE THIS THING SO EVIL!!!??? Fair warning, you may become maniacal trying to put this thing together. Send the kids to the neighbours, and by "neighbours" I mean Mexico or Canada, because you will be yelling and swearing so loudly that everyone in your neighbourhood...state...America... will hear you.
review image
44 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2008
Good:
Is bright enough to shine through Bristol and one or two pages of guidelines
Is sturdy enough to put up with reasonable wear and tear
Is light and small enough to be used as part of a portable project kit.

Bad:
Case has a built in tilt that forces you to use it landscape or awkwardly prop the short end up to enable portrait orientation
Case is made out of a brittle plastic that raises concerns for transport - do not drop or squish it!
on June 12, 2010
This LightTracer Light Box is a great item to simplify and enhance your drawing and tracing. Right out of the package, I traced a paper doll, drawing and coloring the clothes I made. The light was bright enough to see all the details, enabling coloring and shading easier than ever. The screen was large enough to accommodate the drawing paper I use, which scans to print out on regular-size computer paper.

Of course, I checked out larger lightboxes. For the price and quality, I couldn't justify the greater expense. Always need more art supplies, right?

Amazon offers this Light Box for half the list price. I checked around and couldn't find a better price. Anywhere.

I highly recommend this LightTracer Light Box!
on May 28, 2010
When I recieved the light box in the mail, I was so excited. The box wasn't as heavy as I had expected, and it wasn't as difficult to open as expected.

There's no assembly required; just take it out of the box, take off the blue covering, turn it on, and you're ready to go. If you're not used to bright lights (like I am), I'd recommend taking 20 minute breaks once in a while.. OR wear sunglasses! The light of this box is strong.

I highly recommend this light box to anyone who loves to animate, trace, sew, or whatever it might be.
on December 27, 2011
I'm one of those people that still shoots film and I needed a light box for a few things, mounting slides, checking slides, checking negatives and lots of other things where holding something up to a light just isn't going to cut it.

This table had the best price to quality ratio I could find and that was a good start, but the thing that sold me on this table was that it had a cord that plugs into the wall as opposed to using batteries, that was what sold me on this.

This is a great little light box that I have plenty of room to do all my film work on and my wife gets a lot of use out of it for crafting as well. It's durable, small enough to pack away easily and bright enough for what I do.