Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: As I Am Curling Jelly, 16 Ounce
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 16, 2012
Ok, I am excited to be the first to write a review for this product. I am a product junkie so I have tried A LOT of products out there. I have tried combinations of products. I have thick, curly 3c African American hair. I use Redken Smooth Down shampoo and conditioner (they are amazing). But I really want a products that defines AND moisturizes. Usually it defines but is dry or it moisturizes and doesn't define.

The only one that I found good for both elements was Afro Veda Pur Whipped Gelly. It is thick and super moisturizing and defining. But you can only get it online. I need to know if I run out I can get it quickly. So I would always have two around.

Anyway, when I got this, I was able to get GREAT definition AND moisture. It's not thick like the Afro Veda, but it looked shiny and my hair was perfect (for me). But I love how it is light and was still able to moisturize AND hold. This product in my opinion is SUPERIOR to any I have used before.

I understand that you get enhanced moisture when using As I Am leave-in. I am curious so I will try that combo next. I can't wait to go wash my hair and try it again!

UPDATE:
This is still great in my book, but I feel that it is a great second product, because this is a lighter hold than I what I am currently doing. I found a better regimen for my 3C hair type. I use Paul Mitchel The Conditioner with Eco Styler w/ Argon. Once it dries, you scrunch and it is super soft, hydrated, shiny with curl def.
on June 12, 2013
I am only on my third day of using this product, but felt it deserved a review. I am impressed with it so far. People asked if I cut my hair as my curls were tighter and more defined than they had been. They were not crunchy and easy to play with with the product applied.

I have 4c type hair. It is very thick packed with lots of springy dense coils. I typically co-wash my hair every 1-2 weeks and usually use my own concoction of natural oils mixed with a little of Creme of Nature conditioner as my moisturizing butter. When I saw the key ingredients for the jelly: Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Pectin and Sugar Beet Root, I decided it was worth a go.

I detest spending a lot of money on something that doesn't work for me. So, I did not purchase from Amazon. I purchased from my local Sally's with the understanding that if it did not work out, I would be returning the remaining product within 60 days with my receipt. So far, it is a keeper.

The jelly is a loose jelly that is not too sticky. After detangling my hair, I applied a leave-in. Then, I took a small (about 3 fingertips) scoop and massaged it all over hair. I then began working my hair in sections starting at the the back bottom. I raked my fingers through the smaller sections ensuring the product was well distributed. If I needed a little more product, I would add it.

I did not repeat this on day 2. I simply sprayed a little leave in on my hair and pulled at my curls and left it at that.

I do not twist my hair and definitely sleep well at night! So, on day 3 I really needed to refresh my hair. I used my spray bottle to wet my hair. I did not soak it, but wet it enough to create a fresh look. I once again raked my fingers through my hair to make sure there were no dry spots. Since I did not wash my hair, previous product remained. I used a smaller amount than on day one. I did apply/massage it in all over and quickly raked my fingers through again for even distribution.

I did not experience any flaking or white areas that others mentioned. I really think that the key is to use the product sparingly.

Over all, I believe that I will be recommending this to my naturally curly friends.
on April 24, 2012
I have been natural for about 4 or 5 months and I am sick and tired of buying hair care products that do not work. With that said I bought just about everything that Ms Jessies sales and none if it has worked and acutally tried many natural hair care products that tout their benefits and abillity to define and make nice curls. However, I have not been able to find anything that seems to work right for me but this curling jelly is to die for and I am in love with how it smells and feels my curls were totally pretty when I finished using the product. I only bought this one thing because I was afraid that I would not like this just like everything else that I have bought. And I tend to buy the entire line then realize did not work for me....

With that said I went online, "my go to is Amazon" becuase I have a prime meberhsip and love to get my stuff really quickly with no shipping and handling becuase the Sallys that I bought this product from only had the curling jelly and that was the last thing that they had in stock for this productline which made me think wow it must be good since this brand was all out. Went online to their website to read up on how they make their product and get a feeling for everything that they sale. Yes I bought it all the curly cleansing shampoo, Coconut Co-wash, Cleansing Pudding, Leave in conditioner and Hydration Elating deep conditioner because they also have fee shipping and handling if you purchase at least $35. When I get my product I plan to use each one if I love them as much as I love their curling jelly I will be a happy camper. I now have two new natural hair care products that I am in LOVE with that will be in my hair care R'epertoire. AS I am and Dr Miracles new curl care line too. I plan to give my Ms Jessies to my friend who acutally likes the stuff.
on September 20, 2015
Absolutely one of the best for my 2c naturally curly hair. After washing, I condition with Lee Stafford Here Come the Curls Leave In conditioner. Towel dry a bit to get rid of any extra conditioner. Next , I rub a quarter sized dollop of this between my palms and work through a 3 inch wide section from the ends to the roots. I keep this up all around my head.
I twist a few 1/2 inch square sections on the top of my head and face around my finger and am super careful not to a disturb them.
Cupping my hand, I scrunch and blow dry with my head upside down. DO NOT MOVE THE DRYER all around while holding the scrunched curls. Keep it steady on one section at a time and barely move it around the roots only. The ends will dry just fine on their own.
Take another dollop and smooth any frizzy sections top layer bits into finger ringlets.
finsh with a mist of hair spray and you are good to go for THREE DAYS. THATS RIGHT THREE DAYS! Each Morning I mist with plain water and rescrung any section that flattened out in the night if my head was a bit damp when I fell asleep. if my head was dry there isn't a reason to do anything but tame the frizz a bit with a dome sized dollop of this product mixed with a little water in my palm.
I have never had so many compliments on my hair and I'm 60 with shoulder length blond hair.
My hair looks thick and I will never go back to blowing dry with a brush and straightening with a flat iron or that spinning curling iron again.
NEVER!
on May 27, 2016
Love this product. it is the best i have found for defining my curls. It leaves my hair soft and not crackly. it leaves my hair shiny and not dull or chalky when it dries. The only complaint i have is the product in this container is not easy to control and if you are a clutz you will spill it in one knock over. So i place it in squeeze bottle for control and no spillage. Will buy again and again.
on November 8, 2015
I've been using this product since February and it's a staple now! I use this product when doing flexi rod sets and for a sleek bun! This product will also strengthen hair that's typically weak and works extremely well!

I HIGHLY recommend!
on January 16, 2014
I bought this on the advice of a co-worker. She uses this product, and her hair is so pretty! I wish I could post a picture. I just received this and just did a sample. I sprayed my hair with water when I got up this morning, and used a small amount of this on my hair. My hair was so curly I LOVED IT! The instructions given to me by my co-worker are to completely saturate your hair in the shower and apply while it is soaking wet. I will do this tomorrow morning , and I am sure it will be lovely! I already had the co-wash, and just added this to my hair arsenal. As I Am is great!
on August 18, 2012
I have a mixture of 3C, 4A, 4B hair. This product is okay but you can't use too much or you will have white residue all over your hair when it dries, (embarrassing) and your hair only last for 2 days. Its great for the health of your hair but unless you have the time to wash & style every 2-3 days it's a lot of work. I brought the clarity shampoo, twist defining cream, leave-in hydration conditioner and the curly jelly, about $80 bucks. In my opinion it's not worth the cost. I do a lot of twists outs and found that Cantu curly cream shea butter for 5 bucks gives you a great twist out without leaving residue. Love the name of the product but the price should definitely come down.
on March 10, 2015
i absolutely love this product. I am an african-american woman who has natural shoulder length hair. This jelly is awesome for my hair which can be a little dry. It makes my curls define and shape into ringlets. My hair is also fluffy and light - not a puff ball but not weighed down by the product. They need to make this by the gallon!
on November 14, 2014
Leaves my curls defined but not dry and crunchy. Recommend to follow directions and apply leave in on freshly washed hair first and then use the curling jelly